What’s Your Opinion

Why oh why do we set up our formation to counteract the opposition.

Why not let them set up to counter ours. 

Game after game there’s no pattern of play apart from humping the ball upfield, I realise we are not Barcelona but at least we could try to play a nice type of football because this system isn’t working.

Chey Dunkley IMO is a huge problem, he has no talent and this has been obvious most times he has played. 

I know he will have a few fans but Paterson is not the answer up front, we should stick with Rhodes ( yes some of you don’t like him ). 

It’s ok stating we need heart and the will to fight but we also require skill and that is very sadly lacking. Stick with Kachunga, Alex Hunt, Andre Green, Urhoghide plus Dom Iorfa (when fit) and bring back Izzy Brown then keep a settled team. 

Some of you may say negative comments about this but FFS look where we are in the table and I am sure they will not be any worse than what we have had to put up with this frigging season.

Here's how I see it

Managers at Sheffield Wednesday who play defensively lose games and get sacked

Managers who start off attacking and do well, but then change strategy and play more defensively end up losing games and getting sacked

Managers who play offensively, with attacking football and who continue to do so are the ones and the only ones who are ever successful

When we go for it we win games and succeed

When we don't and we over complicate it and start thinking tactically about the other side, shutting up shop, hoping for goals on the break, we lose games 

It's pure simple facts

Also - football players don't fall in love with the game by wanting to play defensive football where you defend for 90 minutes and hope to get a lucky break - therefore when they're asked to play like that they don't enjoy it, don't flourish and don't play as well as they could

I also think that fans who say things like 'we haven't got the players to do it' or 'we'd get hammered if we tried that' are simply overcomplicating their thinking about football.

No matter what current hype or spin there is about football being a complex game, and all these different tactics, styles, approaches are needed are just that - fads

That's my opinion

More than happy to be proven wrong

• Like 7

Owlstalk Shop

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Here's how I see it

Managers who start off attacking and do well, but then change strategy and play more defensively end up losing games and getting sacked

Managers who play offensively, with attacking football and who continue to do so are the ones and the only ones who are ever successful

When we don't and we over complicate it and start thinking tactically about the other side, shutting up shop, hoping for goals on the break, we lose games 

It's pure simple facts

Also - football players don't fall in love with the game by wanting to play defensive football where you defend for 90 minutes and hope to get a lucky break - therefore when they're asked to play like that they don't enjoy it, don't flourish and don't play as well as they could

I also think that fans who say things like 'we haven't got the players to do it' or 'we'd get hammered if we tried that' are simply overcomplicating their thinking about football.

No matter what current hype or spin there is about football being a complex game, and all these different tactics, styles, approaches are needed are just that - fads

That's my opinion

Well said

13 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Here's how I see it

It's pure simple facts

That's my opinion

Totally agree.

It's why guys like Mourinho always have a limited shelf life at clubs, players just switch off and can't go through the attritional stuff anymore.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Here's how I see it

It's pure simple facts

That's my opinion

Couldn’t agree more. Three managers in my memory played attacking football come what may. Catterick, Wilkinson and Big Ron. Yes they had runs of poor results at times but didn’t change.
They all won promotions that resulted in us more than holding our own in the top division.

• Like 1

Guest Grandad
1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Keegan should have followed Big Ron

We'd be in Europe right now if that had happened

Id still have him now

The selection, formation and 'style' on Saturday was a disaster.

We have two decent wingers. Play them on the correct side and cross into Rhodes plus Paterson or Kachunga - simple but can be effective. 

If it doesn't work, fair enough - but at least we get relegated trying to be positive. 

I'd rather go down playing like that than have to endure the aimless hoofball we saw against Birmingham. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Owlstastic said:

The selection, formation and 'style' on Saturday was a disaster.

We have two decent wingers. Play them on the correct side and cross into Rhodes plus Paterson or Kachunga - simple but can be effective. 

If it doesn't work, fair enough - but at least we get relegated trying to be positive. 

I'd rather go down playing like that than have to endure the aimless hoofball we saw against Birmingham. 

The Birmingham games was a mixture of hooooofffffball and header tennis in the centre circle

I pulled out my eyebrows in rage at it

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Here's how I see it

It's pure simple facts

That's my opinion

I hate it when Managers/coaches even players say in pre match pressers things like 

“we’ve watched their videos so we know how they set up”

Play to your strengths, try to win a game don’t over analyse it.
It is “tactical fads”

I’ve been into football since I left nursery in the early 70’s. I have no idea what a “false No9” is and I’m not bothered about finding out.  

• Like 2
  • Love 1