You're usually great at identifying Sheffield Wednesday players so....

Eddie Holliday, from Barnsley I think, although we signed him from Middlesbrough for twenty odd thousand pounds, which was a decent fee in those days.
I remember being excited when we signed him, fast raiding winger who had played for England, to get crosses in to our forwards, what could go wrong.

Well, unfortunately, although he was fast, he didn’t always take the ball with him!

He WAS very exciting to watch though, tearing down the wing.

‘Our forwards’ were usually Fantham, Dobson and Keith Ellis. In my memory, from 1959 onwards, the team just needed a big centre forward who was strong in the air to get some goals from crosses and we could never get that Player, having missed out on Joe Baker and Wyn Davies in particular. We ended up signing big John Ritchie in the end but  it was too late by then.

That kit though, with the hooped socks is my favourite all time Wednesday kit.

1 hour ago, owlsite said:

Eddie Holliday, from Barnsley I think, although we signed him from Middlesbrough for twenty odd thousand pounds, which was a decent fee in those days.
I remember being excited when we signed him, fast raiding winger who had played for England, to get crosses in to our forwards, what could go wrong.

Well, unfortunately, although he was fast, he didn’t always take the ball with him!

He WAS very exciting to watch though, tearing down the wing.

‘Our forwards’ were usually Fantham, Dobson and Keith Ellis. In my memory, from 1959 onwards, the team just needed a big centre forward who was strong in the air to get some goals from crosses and we could never get that Player, having missed out on Joe Baker and Wyn Davies in particular. We ended up signing big John Ritchie in the end but  it was too late by then.

That kit though, with the hooped socks is my favourite all time Wednesday kit.

We signed Bronco after failing to get Joe Baker and his goals to appearances is probably the best ever at the club

• Like 1

Yes daveyboy66, Bronco Layne, what a player. I once went to Leyton Orient as they were then known, I think it was a cup game and I was right behind the goal when we had a free kick outside the area. Bronco stepped up and lashed the ball into the net. He hit it so hard I thought it would break the net. I think we won 2-4.

I was devastated when the bribes scandal broke.