Jump to content

Recommended Posts

14 minutes ago, edinburghowl said:


I think he might be better having a crack abroad at another big club and proving himself again. Win some more trophies and then maybe he could go to Liverpool. Clubs like Liverpool want managers that win things and if he went to a Milan, Lyon, Ajax, or something and won things then I think that would be a good move. Leaving Rangers to join rubbish like Palace or Southampton or someone like that in the Premier wouldn’t be good for him in my opinion. Realistically what can he achieve at a club like that?  

 

Whilst Gerrard has done exceptionally well this season, at the moment he has only had one good season at Rangers, and he has only won 1 trophy out of 12 on offer with a very large budget. If he can have another 1-2 good seasons there and win some more trophies and continue his progress in European competitions then his stock will rise further. 
 

Interesting that Steve Clarke is being strongly linked to the gig at Celtic Park. I hope he stays at Scotland and tells Celtic to ram it!

 

I agree with the gist of what you are saying but I can't see him getting a gig at someone like Milan at this stage and can't see him in France or Holland either. 

Liverpool will want a manager who wins things but I think they would also gage Gerrard's performance on what he was working with. Brendan Rodgers got the Liverpool job without winning things but was judged more on style, approach and improving players and teams, I think Gerrard with be afforded similar given his connections to the club but it is difficult to pinpoint what would be an ideal Premier League club to make that kind of impression at right now.

I'd dispute him only having one good season at Rangers. He has made progress year on year. While he will have been disappointed not to have done better in the cups, Rangers haven't won any major trophy in a decade so to say he has only won one competition in 12 is a bit of a harsh parameter seeing as he is about to bring home the main one. Are you counting European trophies in the 12 he has had a crack at in 3 seasons? When was the last time a Scottish club won a European trophy? Be realistic. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, edinburghowl said:


I think he might be better having a crack abroad at another big club and proving himself again. Win some more trophies and then maybe he could go to Liverpool. Clubs like Liverpool want managers that win things and if he went to a Milan, Lyon, Ajax, or something and won things then I think that would be a good move. Leaving Rangers to join rubbish like Palace or Southampton or someone like that in the Premier wouldn’t be good for him in my opinion. Realistically what can he achieve at a club like that?  

 

Whilst Gerrard has done exceptionally well this season, at the moment he has only had one good season at Rangers, and he has only won 1 trophy out of 12 on offer with a very large budget. If he can have another 1-2 good seasons there and win some more trophies and continue his progress in European competitions then his stock will rise further. 
 

Interesting that Steve Clarke is being strongly linked to the gig at Celtic Park. I hope he stays at Scotland and tells Celtic to ram it!

Tbf, Rodgers almost had to restart his career at Celtic and then moved on and took the Leicester job.

 

Leicester are an exceptionally well club with that recent title in the bag, but they are a fraction of the size of a Celtic.

 

If Gerrard could take a Southampton and have them finishing in the top half, playing well, then it wouldn't surprise me if FSG (Liverpool owners) approached him.

 

After all, they gave Rodgers the job based off his efforts at Swansea.

 

I only watch Rangers occasionally, but they appear to be a well coached side, with an attractive style of play.

 

We all know that sort of stuff really resonates in modern football.

Edited by SiJ
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hirstyboywonder said:

 

I agree with the gist of what you are saying but I can't see him getting a gig at someone like Milan at this stage and can't see him in France or Holland either. 

Liverpool will want a manager who wins things but I think they would also gage Gerrard's performance on what he was working with. Brendan Rodgers got the Liverpool job without winning things but was judged more on style, approach and improving players and teams, I think Gerrard with be afforded similar given his connections to the club but it is difficult to pinpoint what would be an ideal Premier League club to make that kind of impression at right now.

I'd dispute him only having one good season at Rangers. He has made progress year on year. While he will have been disappointed not to have done better in the cups, Rangers haven't won any major trophy in a decade so to say he has only won one competition in 12 is a bit of a harsh parameter seeing as he is about to bring home the main one. Are you counting European trophies in the 12 he has had a crack at in 3 seasons? When was the last time a Scottish club won a European trophy? Be realistic. 


Rangers as a club is all about winning trophies. Europe may be unrealistic but that’s how they’ve always been, it is about winning at that club. Gerrard has had as good a chance as any to win the domestic cups and has so far failed. They’ve been exceptional in the league this campaign, and he deserves huge credit for that, but if he hadn’t have done that this season in the league I think he would have been the one out the door and not Lennon!
 

It will be interesting to see where he ends up when he does leave. I think he could win another couple of titles at Rangers before Celtic get their act together. They’ve got a huge rebuild to do on and off the pitch.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Tbf, Rodgers almost had to restart his career at Celtic and then moved on and took the Leicester job.

 

Leicester are an exceptionally well club with that recent title in the bag, but they are a fraction of the size of a Celtic.

 

If Gerrard could take a Southampton and have them finishing in the top half, playing well, then it wouldn't surprise me if FSG (Liverpool owners) approached him.

 

After all, they gave Rodgers the job based off his efforts at Swansea.

 

I only watch Rangers occasionally, but they appear to be a well coached side, with an attractive style of play.

 

We all know that sort of stuff really resonates in modern football.


Agreed. They do play some good football and he has got them consistent too. They’ve been solid at the back and play attractive stuff which is what any fan wants. I’ve been critical of him but Gerrard really has done a marvellous job this season.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, edinburghowl said:


Rangers as a club is all about winning trophies. Europe may be unrealistic but that’s how they’ve always been, it is about winning at that club. Gerrard has had as good a chance as any to win the domestic cups and has so far failed. They’ve been exceptional in the league this campaign, and he deserves huge credit for that, but if he hadn’t have done that this season in the league I think he would have been the one out the door and not Lennon!
 

It will be interesting to see where he ends up when he does leave. I think he could win another couple of titles at Rangers before Celtic get their act together. They’ve got a huge rebuild to do on and off the pitch.

 

Something they haven't managed in any competition for a decade and have become progressively closer under Gerrard. he has done a good job and will put a stop to the 10 in a row which was the big task.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree with what everyone says about Gerrard

 

Still won't stop Liverpool fans screaming for home when Klopp leaves at the end of the season. 

 

He'll be Liverpool's manager at the start of next season, with Carragher in there somewhere.

 

Either Lampard or Gerrard will also be England's next manager, we have that to look forward to, possibly after we get tanked in the Euros. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/02/2021 at 22:24, g-owls said:

 

Possibly, but I’ve got a scary feeling that Lennon will still be around when next season starts.

 

Ivic may well be a good man for the job. Personally I reckon he’d be too much of a risk at the current time, as something leads me to think of another Paul Le Guen situation like Rangers once discovered.

 

Whoever, and whenever someone else takes the role, one things for certain.. They’ll need the skin of an elephant to be able to handle the pressure. I accept it’s a two horse race every year, but that in itself only adds to the expectation. Finishing second with the Old Firm is never an option,, nor is it ever classed as an unfortunate near-miss, whether that be in the league or through the cups. 

 

 

Sorry I kinda forgot about your post haha. Well I guess you were wrong too haha.

 

I know it doesn't mean much, but I don't think Ivić is even on the betting lists. I had to search who Paul Le Guen is, he's just before my time haha.

 

Maybe Lampard will be the next manager, Gerrard's Rangers Vs Lampard's Celtic haha. Sky would love it.  

 

 

 


"The trouble with "lessons from history" is that we usually read them best after falling flat on our chins."   

 

"Girls are simply wonderful. Just to stand on a corner and watch them go past is delightful. They don't walk. At least not what we do when we walk. I don't know how to describe it, but it's much more complex and utterly delightful. They don't move just their feet; everything moves and in different directions . . . and all of it graceful."  Starship Troopers, Amen!        

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/02/2021 at 13:26, SiJ said:

Tbf, Rodgers almost had to restart his career at Celtic and then moved on and took the Leicester job.

 

Leicester are an exceptionally well club with that recent title in the bag, but they are a fraction of the size of a Celtic.

 

If Gerrard could take a Southampton and have them finishing in the top half, playing well, then it wouldn't surprise me if FSG (Liverpool owners) approached him.

 

After all, they gave Rodgers the job based off his efforts at Swansea.

 

I only watch Rangers occasionally, but they appear to be a well coached side, with an attractive style of play.

 

We all know that sort of stuff really resonates in modern football. 


Are they? In terms of value and social media followers, Leicester are miles ahead. Having a quick look, they’re triple Celtic for both. If a European trophy 50 years ago and a bigger stadium constitutes scaling the size of a club, then Celtic are bigger, however to buy Celtic would actually cost a fraction of what it would cost to buy Leicester. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, T Hardy said:


Are they? In terms of value and social media followers, Leicester are miles ahead. Having a quick look, they’re triple Celtic for both. If a European trophy 50 years ago and a bigger stadium constitutes scaling the size of a club, then Celtic are bigger, however to buy Celtic would actually cost a fraction of what it would cost to buy Leicester. 

Come on...You really going to sit there and tell me that Leicester City are bigger than Celtic or Rangers lol 

Just because they play in a bigger league, with more exposure, doesn't mean they are a bigger club than the two biggest clubs in Scotland. 

 

Take Ajax. Four time winners of the European clubs, but they play in a small league. But they are much bigger than Leicester City, Sheffield Wednesday and so on. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Come on...You really going to sit there and tell me that Leicester City are bigger than Celtic or Rangers lol 

Just because they play in a bigger league, with more exposure, doesn't mean they are a bigger club than the two biggest clubs in Scotland. 

 

Take Ajax. Four time winners of the European clubs, but they play in a small league. But they are much bigger than Leicester City, Sheffield Wednesday and so on. 


I’m sending again after actually proofreading, apologies for 3 posts in a row everyone.

 

Again I think it depends what you base ‘size’ on. I think it’s a long held view that Celtic and Rangers are worldwide massive, but if you look at it right now, they’re really not. History in Europe is certainly on Celtic’s side and a bigger stadium, but what else? And does being one of the biggest clubs in Scotland hold that much relevance today? Biggest club in a country which is behind Belgium and Austria in UEFA’s rankings. Old history, sure. Modern day size and stature? Leicester are bigger and more significant. Don’t forget Rodgers left Celtic to go to Leicester too, and look at the quality of players. How many players would rather play for Celtic than Leicester?

 

With Ajax, that’s different. I think in determining their size, you look at 4 European cups. the legend of Cruyff and his influence on football which went to Barcelona, and helped establish a culture and a way of playing football that produced the best club side ever in my opinion (Barca 2009-2012), and a style of play that most clubs try to imitate today, and the manager of that team is currently at the top of the Premier League and the highest regarded coach in the world - an Ajax Cruyff disciple. That’s legacy on a scale on its own.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, T Hardy said:


Are they? In terms of value and social media followers, Leicester are miles ahead. Having a quick look, they’re triple Celtic for both. If a European trophy 50 years ago and a bigger stadium constitutes scaling the size of a club, then Celtic are bigger, however to buy Celtic would actually cost a fraction of what it would cost to buy Leicester. 

 

Celtic have millions of fans worldwide.

 

Leicester don't.

 

Celtic have a much much bigger fanbase 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Celtic has developed a fanbase in a number of countries around the world, with over 160 supporters' clubs in over 20 countries around the world.[52] Research in 2003 by Capita Consulting in conjunction with the Cranfield Institute estimated the worldwide fan base as being around nine million.[51]

There are Celtic supporters clubs in South Korea,[53] Sweden[54] Croatia, Germany, Denmark and Norway[55] while the club's profile in Kenya has been boosted by a team in Nairobi, Kibera Celtic, who were inspired by Celtic's charitable roots and use the profits from football to fund charitable initiatives in Kenya and throughout Africa.[56] This fanbase extended to Japan in 2005, when Japanese international Shunsuke Nakamura joined the club,[57] although the Tokyo Celtic Supporters' Club had already been established in 2001.[58]

In 2003, it was estimated that Celtic had a fanbase of one million in the United States and Canada.[51] In 2002, former Rangers director, Hugh Adam, claimed that Celtic were "the best-supported football club in North America" and that the club's "Irish connection" was a determinant factor in their popularity.[59] In 2004, The Sunday Times, when commentating on several European teams who were touring in the U.S. at the time, stated that clubs such as Chelsea, Real Madrid and Manchester United attracted support in the United States only when touring the country. In contrast, Celtic were said to "have such a strong pre-existing relationship with a huge expatriate following here that their support will endure."[60] There are around 80 Celtic supporters clubs in North America,[51] and nearly half of all U.S states have a Celtic supporters club.[60]

Celtic have also developed supporters clubs in Australia, South Africa, and elsewhere in the Southern Hemisphere.[61]

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, T Hardy said:


I’m sending again after actually proofreading, apologies for 3 posts in a row everyone.

 

Again I think it depends what you base ‘size’ on. I think it’s a long held view that Celtic and Rangers are worldwide massive, but if you look at it right now, they’re really not. History in Europe is certainly on Celtic’s side and a bigger stadium, but what else? And does being one of the biggest clubs in Scotland hold that much relevance today? Biggest club in a country which is behind Belgium and Austria in UEFA’s rankings. Old history, sure. Modern day size and stature? Leicester are bigger and more significant. Don’t forget Rodgers left Celtic to go to Leicester too, and look at the quality of players. How many players would rather play for Celtic than Leicester?

 

With Ajax, that’s different. I think in determining their size, you look at 4 European cups. the legend of Cruyff and his influence on football which went to Barcelona, and helped establish a culture and a way of playing football that produced the best club side ever in my opinion (Barca 2009-2012), and a style of play that most clubs try to imitate today, and the manager of that team is currently at the top of the Premier League and the highest regarded coach in the world - an Ajax Cruyff disciple. That’s legacy on a scale on its own.

 

 


Do you think Burnley, Fulham and Brighton are bigger clubs than Wednesday?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...