Neil Thompson on why he changed the tactics, formation and starting lineup

7 minutes ago, slinger208b said:

Source for this please?

In my opinion the comments NT made for the changes indicate the opposite.

He didn't see the need for three defenders against one forward...

I agree in that his thinking wasn't about ‘stopping’ the opposition, but rather to gain some tactical advantage, but the point remains that we set up primarily with a consideration of the opposition primarily.

We played 3 at the back in the home wins to Preston and Boro under Thompson even though they only had one up top, after all.

• Like 2

Just now, cowl said:

I agree in that his thinking wasn't about ‘stopping’ the opposition, but rather to gain some tactical advantage, but the point remains that we set up primarily with a consideration of the opposition primarily.

We played 3 at the back in the home wins to Preston and Boro under Thompson even though they only had one up top, after all.

Thank you for injecting some sanity...

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

You've just said yourself there was no urgency.

We are miles apart ...I see lack of urgency as pedestrian  play you seem to see it as not trying  .....who do think wasnt trying  yesterday ...I could name  a teamful  who played crap but not trying  ..nah 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Costello 77 said:

The Matchday crew would have got at least a point out of yesterday's debacle.

2 hours ago, slinger208b said:

Then I guess you're one of those that will say we'd be higher up the table if the points hadn't been deducted...

2 hours ago, Costello 77 said:

A five year old could say that and be absolutely correct.

What's your point?

1 hour ago, slinger208b said:

I rest my case...

So I was pointing out that your comment about the matchday team was merely speculation, similar to the belief that the pre season point deduction not being applied would mean we would be in a higher position in the table.

It's not a certainty, that was my point.

Sorry if you were confused...

Just now, torryowl said:

We are miles apart ...I see lack of urgency as pedestrian  play you seem to see it as not trying  .....who do think wasnt trying  yesterday ...I could name  a teamful  who played crap but not trying  ..nah 

I rate "pedestrian play" in a vital game against a poor team as not trying hard enough.

If we're still miles apart after that clarification then so be it.

• Like 1

As some have said earlier why won’t we just go have a go ? Did against Wycombe and I actually thought they looked better than Brum ? Rhodes has been a catastrophe of a signing but the lad is the only one atm that actually looks like scoring? He has 2 half chances at stoke( barely that really ) got one on target and is dropped ? The best we have looked for ages against Wycombe we actually had a go and Thompson goes changes it again? We constantly chop and change  . And I know there lots of games in short period of time but just ain’t giving ourselves a fair chance ! Now we getting to stage where it doesn’t matter who we gona play we simply have to have a go and as much as I thought I’d never say it Rhodes simply has to have a run till end of season our only recognised striker who can score 

• Like 2

Although Neil has done well up to now, he is starting to get found out and that is reflected in the results this week.  The substitutions against Stoke cost us a point and the tactics and selection on Saturday were just poor.  Very reluctant to criticise but maybe its time to get a manager in.  The problem is who our chairman would bring in.  What a mess.  If he had chosen a decent manager in December instead of an outdated dinosaur then maybe we would be mid table by now.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Lunny1968 said:

Although Neil has done well up to now, he is starting to get found out and that is reflected in the results this week.   

Never understand the 'found out' thing

How can he have been found out if he changed the starting lineup, formation and tactics and style?

Owlstalk Shop

27 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Never understand the 'found out' thing

How can he have been found out if he changed the starting lineup, formation and tactics and style?

Think he means ‘found out not good enough’ made mistakes? Ain’t we all

• Like 1

Who's idea was it to move Hutchinson into midfield when we had been so solid in defence with him in the central role?.

Get him back as soon as, possible, tomorrow night.

Go to back  Pelupessy, Bannan, Reech in the middle of a midfield 5, with Harris and Penney out wide

Rhodes and Windass up front.

A problem for Thompson is at the start he had no pressure because everyone thought he would be replaced reasonably quickly. Now it's become apparent this wont happening and all of a sudden the pressure on, he's understandably trying to gather information he's gathered from previous managers like Pulis and Monk who he assisted. One had negative tactics the other tinkered to much which ultimately failed and has crept into our game in recent games, we can't play that way on Wednesday he needs to be more positive or we could face another heavy defeat at Brentford. Let's play Bashiri or Brown instead of the safety first of Pelupessy to replace Shaw, the problem is I doubt he will