Wednesday - V - Birmingham OMDT

You can see why Thompson's recalled Windass today.  In the press conferences he said we're expecting Birmingham to come and put men behind the ball.  So he's probably hedging his bets that Windass' greater pace and mobility might be able to move the defence around some more and create more opportunities, than Rhodes who obviously is a bit more static and would be more at risk of being swamped by the defenders outnumbering him.

I'd probably have kept Rhodes in myself, but can at least make a case for what he's trying today, I think.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Windass rather than Rhodes.

I give up

If we're mostly playing it on the deck and looking to get in behind, then it makes sense.

If we're going to lump crosses into the box and hope to nick one, then Rhodes would have been a better bet.

Paterson and Rhodes were probably the wrong pairing to line up against an aerially strong Stoke defence; let's just hope we've not suffered a 'worst of both worlds' scenario by backing the wrong pairing again today.

I’m assuming the team selection will make more sense when we kick off and see how we see setting up. 
I think Reach needed to be left out. He’s been overplayed IMO and a bit like Harris a game or two on the bench will hopefully look like good man management in a couple of weeks time. 

Windas for Rhodes? Again can only make sense if we are trying something different today from getting up the flanks and crossing. 

Truth is all our options are a bid mediocre so it’s not like these changes make the differences you might hope. 

Im still going for a 1-0. Paterson’s buttocks to get a goal in the 80th min.