Josh Windass was never 100% convincing

Just now, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

As I said, I don't think this was the game for Windass 

I have the same opinion every week

Not that he's a rubbish footballer 

He's just not a player I'd play as a striker - ever

He's not a player who I'd play as a winger - ever

He's not a number 10 either

Basically he just doesn't play football in any position very well enough to define as his definite role and certainly not to a standard that makes him a must start  for us even in our current situation

In my opinion

Owlstalk Shop

22 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I have the same opinion every week

Not that he's a rubbish footballer 

He's just not a player I'd play as a striker - ever

He's not a player who I'd play as a winger - ever

He's not a number 10 either

Basically he just doesn't play football in any position very well enough to define as his definite role and certainly not to a standard that makes him a must start  for us even in our current situation

In my opinion

Yeah, in our current team and with our current way of playing, he certainly isn't a must start. We simply aren't set up to suit his style of play.

In a different setup, I'd play him as either a striker or an attacking midfielder.

He has the attributes to offer a decent threat, as seen by the fact he averaged a direct goal involvement every 209 minutes playing in a largely struggling team for us under Monk, and a goal every 252 minutes under Pulis.

On 19/02/2021 at 09:32, @owlstalk said:

When Josh Windass was playing up front I was saying (not from a negative view) that once we had other options or a striker, that Josh Windass would find himself out of the side completely simply because he just doesn't fit anywhere

He's most certainly not a striker. He's not prolific enough, his shots are erratic and wild.

He's not a winger - nothing like

We don't play with a number 10 and if we do it's Paterson in that role

He can't play midfield

I know I was mocked at the time for saying it but look at the moment - there's just no way he fits in, no justification for playing him over Paterson and Rhodes.

He's out in the cold as I fully expected

He's not as convincing as some fans will tell you he is

I don't see a way back for Josh Windass into the side

Never rated him, as you describe has flashes of doing ok but never convincing 

4 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Yeah, in our current team and with our current way of playing, he certainly isn't a must start. We simply aren't set up to suit his style of play.

In a different setup, I'd play him as either a striker or an attacking midfielder.

He has the attributes to offer a decent threat, as seen by the fact he averaged a direct goal involvement every 209 minutes playing in a largely struggling team for us under Monk, and a goal every 252 minutes under Pulis.

Goal every 550 minutes this season.

Can not be a main striker. Got to be used purely to rest Rhodes or Callum.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Goal every 550 minutes this season.

Can not be a main striker. Got to be used purely to rest Rhodes or Callum.

Until Thompson took over, Paterson was averaging a goal every 680 minutes, and it's only earlier this month that Rhodes was averaging a goal every 405 minutes.

Thankfully, we didn't refuse to play either again and instead found a way of playing which started to get goals out of each of them. 

Yes, Windass is out of form and clearly isn't enjoying playing upfront in our current setup, but we're going to need to use our limited attacking options wisely to emerge unscathed from such a crazy run of fixtures. 

I just don't think a one-size-fits-all approach works when you're as limited as we are. Some games will require an aerial threat; others might need some pace to run in behind etc. The key is to get the best out of whoever is playing upfront and we simply haven't done that consistently this season, which this last two games unfortunately encapsulate.

On 19/02/2021 at 10:24, jonnyowl said:

No point playing him if we are to play long ball, he needs it to feet.

I'd like to see him in attacking midfield behind Paterson and Rhodes, think he has the best link up play!

^^^^^^^

He plays, and we look so much better,

The link up play has been loads better between the midfield and the front two, Brown has made a massive difference too!

On 19/02/2021 at 09:32, @owlstalk said:

When Josh Windass was playing up front I was saying (not from a negative view) that once we had other options or a striker, that Josh Windass would find himself out of the side completely simply because he just doesn't fit anywhere

He's most certainly not a striker. He's not prolific enough, his shots are erratic and wild.

He's not a winger - nothing like

We don't play with a number 10 and if we do it's Paterson in that role

He can't play midfield

I know I was mocked at the time for saying it but look at the moment - there's just no way he fits in, no justification for playing him over Paterson and Rhodes.

He's out in the cold as I fully expected

He's not as convincing as some fans will tell you he is

I don't see a way back for Josh Windass into the side

Hmmmm! Fascinating insight. 2-0 half time- will he get the hat trick? 

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

It's 45 minutes 

I don't judge any player over that timescale either way

My O/P was about his performances in general

Lighten up.

We've all slagged players off and been made to look silly, even if only for one game.