Next big academy star

In recent years we’ve had Hirst and now Shaw that have been highly rated and moved on for next to nothing. 

We’ve just let Grant go who was highly rated at one time, and Penney and Urhoghide could be set to leave for free at the end of the season. 

But have we got anymore in the academy that people think could step up in the next season or two? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, S72 Owl said:

In recent years we’ve had Hirst and now Shaw that have been highly rated and moved on for next to nothing. 

We’ve just let Grant go who was highly rated at one time, and Penney and Urhoghide could be set to leave for free at the end of the season. 

But have we got anymore in the academy that people think could step up in the next season or two? 

Don't think so. Waldock is a decent player, but that's about it.

It could be clever idea to invest into couple of superbly talented academy lads from clubs that are in worst financial situation than we are. Sean McGurk from Wigan and Ethan Brierly from Rochdale spring to mind. we lost our best talents cheaply, now we need to look into replacing them.

• Like 3

Waldock will be the next one to leave for next to nothing.

There seems to be a pattern to every season. Fans look forward and are hopeful. A few new signings with positive soundbites. A win on the first day of the new season followed by some indifferent form leading to a bleak period in Autumn. Fans questioning why one of the new signings has been nowhere near the first team but are told they are a couple of weeks away. Injuries kick in and an academy youngster in thrown into the limelight. The manager or head coach is changed with an upturn in form with the new head coach. Academy starlet contract is debated with said player out of contract come the end of the season. Talks break down in early spring and the starlet is banished to the sidelines due to not accepting the clubs poor offer. The club manage to scrape survival and players leave whose contracts have run down while the new signing never playing leaves under a cloud. A new summer beckons and new propaganda leaving fans looking forward to a new season. Rinse repeat.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bobness said:

Makes you wonder what the point of spending money on an academy is... 

Its starting to produce players that look like they have potential.

I think most of our youngsters, Breenan, Hunt, Uroghide, Penny, Shaw, Galvin would all be very good league one players and could form the basis of a very good League One team, I'm not sure at this point if they could do that in the Championship. I think Urogihde will make it as a very good Championship player, but if we played them all at the moment we'd struggle in the Championship.

It's criminal that the talent these players have isn't recognised sooner and tied down to longer contracts!

1 minute ago, jonnyowl said:

Its starting to produce players that look like they have potential.

I think most of our youngsters, Breenan, Hunt, Uroghide, Penny, Shaw, Galvin would all be very good league one players and could form the basis of a very good League One team, I'm not sure at this point if they could do that in the Championship. I think Urogihde will make it as a very good Championship player, but if we played them all at the moment we'd struggle in the Championship.

It's criminal that the talent these players have isn't recognised sooner and tied down to longer contracts!

Uroghide isn't an academy player, but either way, the ones that have potential are "tied down" to a 12 month professional contract, and the ones who aren't are let go... Try wrapping your head round the idea of a 12 month contract. If the player proves to be good, they will be poached by a team who not only shows more faith in them, but can also offer much better terms... 

Business masterclass from DC. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, bobness said:

Uroghide isn't an academy player, but either way, the ones that have potential are "tied down" to a 12 month professional contract, and the ones who aren't are let go... Try wrapping your head round the idea of a 12 month contract. If the player proves to be good, they will be poached by a team who not only shows more faith in them, but can also offer much better terms... 

Business masterclass from DC. 

I swear he does it deliberately. No one can be this incompetent. It defies logic. 

12 month contracts to your best young players. I started playing football manager when I was 10 and even I knew back then that wasn’t how it’s done 

lol

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Urogohide genuinely looks like he could be a great player. I know the academy staff really thought of Hunt as the shining light at one point, may still do. Shaw has gone flying past him in the pecking order but that happened after he got game time at centre half and showed what he could do. We need to be playing Hunt in more matches.

Either way we should default to offering anyone under 22 at least a 2 year deal as they enter into the last year of their current deal unless they look utterly useless or have personality issues. They all develop at different speeds and can make huge progress in a short space of time and the costs are nothing compared to the wages of a Rhodes or a Bannan

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sultan_Pepper said:

Urogohide genuinely looks like he could be a great player. I know the academy staff really thought of Hunt as the shining light at one point, may still do. Shaw has gone flying past him in the pecking order but that happened after he got game time at centre half and showed what he could do. We need to be playing Hunt in more matches.

Either way we should default to offering anyone under 22 at least a 2 year deal as they enter into the last year of their current deal unless they look utterly useless or have personality issues. They all develop at different speeds and can make huge progress in a short space of time and the costs are nothing compared to the wages of a Rhodes or a Bannan

I'd be giving them 3 or 4 years performance based deals. Pay increase depending on first team appearances etc!

• Like 2

This whole thing makes me so angry, there’s something about a young talent coming through, that gives you hope that things can be better It’s bad enough when local youngsters leave, but when they leave for next to nothing, because we haven’t got our sh@t together, it’s doubly galling. The policy regarding contracts, is akin to throwing away money. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Guest hirstysfags
34 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I swear he does it deliberately. No one can be this incompetent. It defies logic. 

12 month contracts to your best young players. I started playing football manager when I was 10 and even I knew back then that wasn’t how it’s done 

lol

What's the optimum? 2 or 3 years? Any longer and you can be saddled with a duffer that no one wants.

1 minute ago, hirstysfags said:

What's the optimum? 2 or 3 years? Any longer and you can be saddled with a duffer that no one wants.

Ideally you’d give them a year at a time but with the option to extend to avoid this situation but keep players looking to earn that extension.

If a player like Shaw has interest and is inclined to stay if a compromise is there  then put a release clause in which exceeds compensation and below what we would charge at top rate. If a big club is serious they would pay that and everyone is covered.

1 hour ago, S72 Owl said:

dont know what happened with grant i heard such good things about him he gone too , might as well close the u23s down whats the point