8 minutes ago, Shezza said:

Hel’ll get no respect or good luck for me. 

He is a proper modern day footballer traitor. The club he supported as a boy has spent literally thousands of hours and god knows how many thousands of pounds developing him, and he jumps ship at the first possible moment. 

It is of course a testament to what football has become. 

And last but not least, testament to the enormous arrogance, ignorance , stupidity and incompetence of the one man - Dejphon Chansiri. 

It’s his life and his career, who are you or anyone else to judge him?

Good luck Liam Shaw.

• Like 7
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, anne said:

Who wouldn't professionally move away for  more money and a better career.Good luck to the lad playing European football and playing in front of massive crowds.

Heartbreaking he has left wednesday but highlights what a complete shambles we are at the moment

So, what relation are you to Liam?

• Like 4

This is like going from glass collector in new barrack tavern to the bar man at the Ritz. Fair play to him, massive opportunity for him.

Gutted he's leaving but it's th chairman's own fault (unless Celtic are over paying him). 

Him, Hirst, Clare + all the others leaving this summer (and last) must be worth near on £100m Inc wages and depreciation. What a way to run a business

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

Losing Shaw is sad to see. No criticism for the lad. Career move. His choice to make.

A damning indictment of where we’re at right now under Chansiri. Another harsh lesson.

I don’t understand why we don’t negotiate contract options as standard - especially for young players. If a youngster does break through, it can be sudden. If we’re only giving basic one-year deals without a retainer, you’re always at risk if they come good.

Edited by wilyfox
  • Like 9

If we have matched the money and he is a true Owl he should stay..................even League 1 is comparable to that 2 horse race Pub league over the border.....and 2 matches on the bench as they get eliminated at first hurdle in Europe

• Like 2

As I understand it, the offer from the club was derisory.  The Celtic offer was multiples of the SWFC offer and it’s a long term contract.

No brainer for the lad. Any abuse shouldn’t be aimed at him. A club who developed him should know his worth. 

We never learn. Good luck to him.

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, twolaptops said:

If we have matched the money and he is a true Owl he should stay..................even League 1 is comparable to that 2 horse race Pub league over the border.....and 2 matches on the bench as they get eliminated at first hurdle in Europe

Or another way, with one club he may be involved in a promotion challenge ( if we are in league 1) whereas at the other club, he may collect some winners medals and play in Europe and if he does well will be noticed more by other clubs.

What a tough decision.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Marro said:

It is a bit extreme to call him a traitor.  He’s done nothing wrong.  He’s allegedly signed a pre-contract with Celtic and is free to leave at the end of the season.  

if you left your job to go elsewhere would you be a traitor.

Shaw may want to play for a club where he is paid on time, plays in Europe and which isn’t run by a complete basket case.  I can’t blame him for that.  The tragedy is what we have become.  If we had been run well I suspect he may have stayed.

It was meant as a bit tongue in cheek joke, and I agree with you, and I guess it came out the wrong way. But it is what it is, there is no loyalty in football anymore. Footballer's agents are constantly out and about looking for the highest possible paycheck.

No disrespect to the lad, and obviously it's down to the complete farce of how the club is run and what is has become. It can't even keep hold of players who most likely would have stayed if the club offered any prospect of stability and progress. It is beggars belief that we're not offering two- or three-year deals to talented youngsters we're introducing to the first team. SWFC is run by an incompetent moron - and this will probably happen again and again. 

And why should Shaw have any loyalty? He probably watched the club destroy George Hirst in a similar situation. The year young Hirst lost as Chansiri refused him to play seems to have had a devastating effect on his development, and says it all about the lack of integrity and decency of the man. And it lost the club a lot of money too. Now Hirst probably would have left even if the club knew what it was doing, but at least we would have received a million or two in compensation. 

I hope he goes on to have a good career, and we should definitely play him if he's motivated for the remainder of the season. 

After years of hard work and sweating on surviving the cut.

He's a footballer that can control his future.

He's entitled to do what he thinks is best for him.

He doesn't owe anybody anything as far as I can see.

• Like 4