Darren Drysdale - Naughty Boy

0wl18

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11707/12220393/referee-darren-drysdale-squares-up-to-ipswichs-alan-judge-during-game

Let’s see how the authorities handle this one. He appeared to smirk/laugh as he was sending off an Ipswich player as well. Not a huge issue but, not entirely professional either.

My long held belief is that referees really don’t help themselves. Demand respect but show none themselves. Mike Dean is a prime example, well known throughout the sport as a complete and utter ********, yet the players have to bow down like he’s some sort of god which only plays to his ego.

3 hours ago, Ronnie Starling said:

Maybe if footballers behaved themselves instead of cheating then there may be more mutual respect between footballers and officials. Football can learn a lot from rugby.

Yep. For me the solution is clear. 

Mic the refs up. If any player talks to the ref automatic yellow card, captains the player who can approach ref to broach things. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, BIG D said:

I’d love to be able to hear the refs like in Rugby.

Listening to their decisions would be amazing. Useless, almost to a man.

lol

Exactly this.

Rugby referees are a class above their counterparts in football.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ronnie Starling said:

Maybe if footballers behaved themselves instead of cheating then there may be more mutual respect between footballers and officials. Football can learn a lot from rugby.

Its well known that if players dont go down in the box then often they wont get a penalty decision

The rules for fouls appear to be refereed differently when inside the box

I rememeber a game a couple of seasons ago when the opposition kept time wasting and kicking the ball away. The next home game a Wednesday player got booked for kicking the ball away. One of those referees wasnt applying the laws of the game properly. Its either a bookable offense or it isnt.

Is it any wonder that supporters and players get frustrated by officials?

Agreed that cheating needs to be cleaned up, but so does the standard of officiating.

10 minutes ago, Burnsie said:

I love listneing to them. However, football is so much quicker the refs in football dont have the time to direct play like they go at rugby 

Rugby is a harder game to officiate. The notion that football is quicker is a complete and utter myth.

Referees in Rugby have just as much to contend with as their counterparts in football. Take a rook for example, 5-6 men entering the rook, the referee is constantly assessing whether or not each player has committed an offence. The phases of play are slower but, at the breakdown there’s so much an official has to look for.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Miffed said:

Its well known that if players dont go down in the box then often they wont get a penalty decision

The rules for fouls appear to be refereed differently when inside the box

I rememeber a game a couple of seasons ago when the opposition kept time wasting and kicking the ball away. The next home game a Wednesday player got booked for kicking the ball away. One of those referees wasnt applying the laws of the game properly. Its either a bookable offense or it isnt.

Is it any wonder that supporters and players get frustrated by officials?

Agreed that cheating needs to be cleaned up, but so does the standard of officiating.

I would say that's a management issue. The FA seem more interested in protecting their brand rather than ensuring consistency across the board even if it highlights their own failings.

An unfortunate incident but it shows that sometimes things can bubble over.

Refs do well to bottle things up almost 100% of the time in the face of complete disrespect demonstrated by players, managers, fans, pundits, etc.

Unfortunately, there is a "them & us" attitude in football.

I listened to Paul Lambert's comments and he was supportive of the ref, claiming "Judgy's not that kind of player". well this attitude is just wrong yet prevalent.

My view is that the FA should come right out and say they can understand the ref's reaction but they are going to make immediate changes which will include onfield punishment for anything deemed to be be disrespectful.

Just look at how successful the rugby model is

5 hours ago, 0wl18 said:

Rugby is a harder game to officiate. The notion that football is quicker is a complete and utter myth.

Referees in Rugby have just as much to contend with as their counterparts in football. Take a rook for example, 5-6 men entering the rook, the referee is constantly assessing whether or not each player has committed an offence. The phases of play are slower but, at the breakdown there’s so much an official has to look for.

Wait, but when the ball is with the forwards in a mall/ruck and repeated phases going for the line, the ball and ref don't move far. The ref is never normally behind the play

8 minutes ago, Burnsie said:

Wait, but when the ball is with the forwards in a mall/ruck and repeated phases going for the line, the ball and ref don't move far. The ref is never normally behind the play

He still has numerous infringements he has to be aware of which can be carried out by multiple players in a short space of time.

Did the ball go forward in the pass? 
Was the defence onside? - (Not just the tackling player, the entire pack).
Was the tackle safe and legal? 

Did the tackled player release the ball?

Did players entering the rook enter from the back? (The players entering the rook tend to enter whilst the tackles player still has hands on the ball).

Are the players attempting to handle the ball on 2 feet supporting their own weight?

That’s just 6 of the things a rugby official needs to look for in every single phase of play. There’s so many more. Many of the issues happen within seconds of each other. 

A football referee tends to have to focus on 2 players to make a decision. There’s instances such as corners etc where that’s obviously not the case but, there’s far less to look for. 

Rugby officiates by the letter of the law. Football doesn’t, referees interpret the laws differently every week!! 

23 minutes ago, edmontonowl said:

An unfortunate incident but it shows that sometimes things can bubble over.

Refs do well to bottle things up almost 100% of the time in the face of complete disrespect demonstrated by players, managers, fans, pundits, etc.

Unfortunately, there is a "them & us" attitude in football.

I listened to Paul Lambert's comments and he was supportive of the ref, claiming "Judgy's not that kind of player". well this attitude is just wrong yet prevalent.

My view is that the FA should come right out and say they can understand the ref's reaction but they are going to make immediate changes which will include onfield punishment for anything deemed to be be disrespectful.

Just look at how successful the rugby model is

The rugby model is successful because the standard of officials are far superior. They explain their decision and, speak to the players with respect.

Name me another profession where respect is demanded and, not earned. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, fudge27 said:

Yep. For me the solution is clear. 

Mic the refs up. If any player talks to the ref automatic yellow card, captains the player who can approach ref to broach things. 

Think refs calling players by their first names is wrong should be like in rugby where players are referred to by their numbers when the ref wants a word. Also if the ref thinks a player is pushing he gets the captain to.have a word.

Another thing rugby has got right is if a player is cited he's up in front of the disciplinary board a couple I..f days later and punishment is given out. In football, it can take weeks.

26 minutes ago, 0wl18 said:

He still has numerous infringements he has to be aware of which can be carried out by multiple players in a short space of time.

Did the ball go forward in the pass? 
Was the defence onside? - (Not just the tackling player, the entire pack).
Was the tackle safe and legal? 

Did the tackled player release the ball?

Did players entering the rook enter from the back? (The players entering the rook tend to enter whilst the tackles player still has hands on the ball).

Are the players attempting to handle the ball on 2 feet supporting their own weight?

That’s just 6 of the things a rugby official needs to look for in every single phase of play. There’s so many more. Many of the issues happen within seconds of each other. 

A football referee tends to have to focus on 2 players to make a decision. There’s instances such as corners etc where that’s obviously not the case but, there’s far less to look for. 

Rugby officiates by the letter of the law. Football doesn’t, referees interpret the laws differently every week!! 

Noticed in the Scotland game at the weekend the TMO stopped the game to point out infringements the ref had missed. Surely the 4th official in football could do that. Not as though he has a lot else to do.

7 hours ago, 0wl18 said:

agree rugby must be way harder