If you had to follow a Scottish football club who would it be?

11 minutes ago, edinburghowl said:

They nearly won a trophy as well. Took us to penalty kicks in the Scottish cup final. Was a scary day!

I have a mate who used to follow Meadowbank home and away. He knew every fan by first name that used to go to their away games. There was about 20 or 30 diehards that would go! When they became Livingston he didn’t bother with them anymore. Now he supports Hibs 👎

I think Lee Bullen played for Meadowbank at one point.

Crikey that's double what the pigs took to Wrexham apparently lol

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, timrud said:

Rangers for me

That team in the 90's when I was growing up was fantastic.

Then cemented with their incredible turnout for that pre-season friendly - what an atmosphere. If you think we've had it bad as a fan base, they have really been through it. So pleasing to see them finally come out of the dark days - there is a really strong bond between out club and theirs.

I've always been fond of Rangers from the team they had in the 90s. 

They were only in the wilderness for 5 years or so though. Nowhere near had it as rough as us.

4 minutes ago, Beighton Owl 87 said:

Crikey that's double what the pigs took to Wrexham apparently lol

Quite a few of their fans didn’t bother with the new team. At the time of the move/takeover to Livingston they were singing “Livingston w*nk w*nk w*nk, we support Meadowbank” lol

Just now, edinburghowl said:

Quite a few of their fans didn’t bother with the new team. At the time of the move/takeover to Livingston they were singing “Livingston w*nk w*nk w*nk, we support Meadowbank” lol

They don't really get many fans now do they? Might change though if they can sustain premiership football. 

8 minutes ago, Beighton Owl 87 said:

They don't really get many fans now do they? Might change though if they can sustain premiership football. 

It’s a new town so to be fair to them it’s difficult for them to get numbers and they’ve never had a core base. Livingston the town was only created in the 60s and the club only came into being after Meadowbank Thistle finished in the 1990s. I think they do pretty well to get the numbers that they do.

Livi is in close proximity to Glasgow and Edinburgh too so there are a lot of Hearts, Celtic and Rangers fans in the town. The big shopping centre in Livingston the Almondvale which is right next to their Stadium (also called the Almondvale) has shops for Hearts, Rangers and Celtic in it but no Livingston shop. That says it all!

If they can win the League Cup final again at the weekend, which I hope they do, then that should help. They got a big boost in numbers in the 2000s when they beat Hibs in the final and won their first trophy. They’re a decent wee club and it’s a nice wee ground 

6 minutes ago, edinburghowl said:

It’s a new town so to be fair to them it’s difficult for them to get numbers and they’ve never had a core base. Livingston the town was only created in the 60s and the club only came into being after Meadowbank Thistle finished in the 1990s. I think they do pretty well to get the numbers that they do.

Livi is in close proximity to Glasgow and Edinburgh too so there are a lot of Hearts, Celtic and Rangers fans in the town. The big shopping centre in Livingston the Almondvale which is right next to their Stadium (also called the Almondvale) has shops for Hearts, Rangers and Celtic in it but no Livingston shop. That says it all!

If they can win the League Cup final again at the weekend, which I hope they do, then that should help. They got a big boost in numbers in the 2000s when they beat Hibs in the final and won their first trophy. They’re a decent wee club and it’s a nice wee ground 

Their the Scottish version of MK Dons then. Suppose it is difficult to pull in fans being located so close to 4 other big clubs. Being the first club other than Celtic to win a trophy in 5 years and another top six finish should help though.

I've followed Hearts a fair bit since I've lived near their ground on and off for a few years now. Went to the Cup Final and left feeling surprised at how gutted I was they'd lost, the last football game I've been to was them knocking Rangers out of the Cup pretty much bang on a year ago.

Tend to look out for Arbroath's results as my best mate supports them and I love their ground - for anyone thinking of going once this nightmare is over then make sure to go the nearby chippy afterwards, it's well worth it.

On 17/02/2021 at 06:52, mcmigo said:

Went to Uni in Scotland and followed Partick Thistle around the country.  Nice club, proper old stadium that makes Hillsborough look like the Allianz Arena.

Went to some glorious places including Arbroath - a real gem of an old ground next to the sea, Stirling Albion - gorgeous surroundings.  and then went to East Stirling, the worst ground in the worst place I have ever been to in the UK.

Yeah I've been to some stinkers up here too - I'd say Hamilton's new ground is the worst I've ever been to, two small stands along two sides of the pitch, a tiny marquee down the third and just a green fence behind one goal. Abysmal. Cowdenbeath is horrible too.

• Love 1

Celtic

St Pauli are my German club and there’s a link there, obviously. 

I actually find Scottish football increasingly appealing for a lot of the reasons most people in England think it’s sh*t. Reasons that don’t necessarily include either Old Firm club. But in terms of following a specific club I would pick Celtic.