If you had to follow a Scottish football club who would it be?

2 hours ago, edinburghowl said:

No it’s prior to that. And it’s two league fixtures in a row at Easter Road I was talking about. Hearts have done that more recently there than Hibs. 

Hibs have won two in a row at home if you count a cup win against Brora 😆

Sounds like the kind of accolade Sheffield United would put on their honours board. Do fans of the two Edinburgh clubs see it as an important statistic?

42 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

Gretna. What a fairytale rise to the top that was. True Roy of The Rovers stuff. 

Remember them being in the Unibond League with Stocksbridge just a few years before they were playing in the top tier of Scottish football. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, punkskaphil said:

Sounds like the kind of accolade Sheffield United would put on their honours board. Do fans of the two Edinburgh clubs see it as an important statistic?

No it’s a pisstake for how poo Hibs have been this year.

Hearts have got plenty history that’s better than the Blades honours board. Our derby record however (recent and historical) is something that we are rightly proud of.

If Hibs won every single derby match home and away (4 games per season) for the next 19 consecutive years, they still wouldn’t have won as many Edinburgh derbies as Hearts have. That’s the scale of the dominance.

Edited by edinburghowl
2 hours ago, edinburghowl said:

No it’s a pisstake for how poo Hibs have been this year.

Hearts have got plenty history that’s better than the Blades honours board. Our derby record however (recent and historical) is something that we are rightly proud of.

If Hibs won every single derby match home and away (4 games per season) for the next 19 consecutive years, they still wouldn’t have won as many Edinburgh derbies as Hearts have. That’s the scale of the dominance.

I don’t dispute that at all. It’s just the thought that Hearts fans would see that stat about two consecutive games being worth mentioning surprises me when they’ve got far more impressive stats to discuss.

I do follow a Scottish club, as Edinburgh Owl will indeed confirm.

That aside though, I've always had a soft spot for Inverness Caledonian Thistle since the time I picked up one of their shirts in a sports shop in Devon of all places!

When I was a kid I collected shirts no matter the team (Excluding the pigs, Leeds and the big clubs) and at one time must have had about 100 different teams including Aberdeen, Motherwell and Hearts.

Then, Xmas just gone my old man remembered those days and struggling to think of anything to get me, decided for fun that he'd get me a couple of obscure shirts. So I now own Alloa Athletic and Albion Rovers current home shirts.

1st_home_front-md.png

Front_of_Home__60938.1600776589.800.800.jpg

• Love 1

Rangers ever since, Butcher, Gazza and co started playing for them.

Always had a soft spot for Dundee as well, always a great atmos at the Dundee derby, I went to pre season when two Dundee clubs, us and Wolves were playing in Discovery Cup. 

23 hours ago, BIG D said:

Every time someone mentions Stranraer I just hear Brian Potter in my head. 

I hear the Proclaimers:

"I can understand why Stranraer lie so lowly, they could save a lot of points by signing Hibs' goalie"

Who'd have thought Andy Goram would be mentioned in a folk-rock song?

On 17/02/2021 at 16:56, 31Dec1966 said:

Always followed Berwick Rangers as they are English.  Stranraer, Used to know the stadium (!!!) announcer so I went to see them play Queen of the South once.   Fun fact, Stranraer were the last league club to erect floodlights in Scotland and Chesterfield were the last in England. Good quiz question !

My brother lives in the borders so seen them a few times. One of their stands was brought up from Bradford City. I'm from near Bradford so watched them a few times as a kid, can claim to have watched 2 teams play at home from the same stand.

Brother took hibs as his Scottish team, I have hearts. Been up for 1 Derby at hearts, brilliant ground, cracking game and an incredible atmosphere. Would love to get in the away end at hibs at some point. 

Heart of Midlothian has a similar magical ring to it as Sheffield Wednesday. 

Edited by Hotten Owl
  • Like 1
On 19/02/2021 at 01:24, punkskaphil said:

I don’t dispute that at all. It’s just the thought that Hearts fans would see that stat about two consecutive games being worth mentioning surprises me when they’ve got far more impressive stats to discuss.

It's a p**stake stats that their fans rightly use to wind up their neighbours. 

If we had won two games in a row at the sty more recently than Utd had won two home games in a row against anyone, we would let them know about it. 

• Thanks 1

Went on holiday to Scotland years ago and was offered tickets to either Celtic or Rangers by the people at Sky (I was a ustomer at the time, never again).

I declined and we instead went to Ayr for the day, so Mrs Gargoyle took our girls to the beach etc and myself and my lad went to Somerset Park to watch Ayr v Partick Thistle.

Always look for their (Ayr) results since. 

Also have had a soft spot for Hamilton Accies from a time when they were languising in the lower divisions in the 70s

• Like 1

Kilmarnock for me.

Me and a mate had a bit of a road trip to Scotland, and decided we would go an watch Kilmarnock V Shelbourne in a Europa Cup qualifier. 

Didn't realise how flipping far it was. Anyway, made kick off , bit of a boring game to be honest but it was an experience.

Couldn't find anywhere to stay after the game as all hotels full, so we slept in the car in a lay by after driving to to Troon and Ayr looking for digs.

Went to Stirling the next day and visited the William Wallace monument. You can see both Falkirk and East Stirlings grounds from the top of there. Strangely that's not in the visitors guide. 

• Like 1

Rangers for me

That team in the 90's when I was growing up was fantastic.

Then cemented with their incredible turnout for that pre-season friendly - what an atmosphere. If you think we've had it bad as a fan base, they have really been through it. So pleasing to see them finally come out of the dark days - there is a really strong bond between out club and theirs.

• Haha 1