Fletcher and Fox

Dot

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Hate this if I'm honest

He's playing his heart out, gives 100%, makes things out of nothing and is smashing in goal after goal after goal

Time for fans to put away what they 'think' a striker should play like and start recognising that Paterson plays like Paterson and he's unstoppable doing that

Paterson has scored 7 goals in 27 appearances this season. Not bad considering he isn't what anyone would call a natural striker and we played not to attack for at least 10 games this season when Pulis was in charge. 

His effort and knack for bundling in a goal is commendable but it is not a surprise to find that fans are critical of his all round game and might want more from someone playing as a centre-forward. Nuhiu for example got loads of stick but he would do a better all round job of playing the striker role than Paterson. That's not being critical pf Paterson really, more pointing out the poor recruitment. 

Just now, @owlstalk said:

Were all of them in a striker role?

I don't think so no. As I said it is a decent return and is commendable. Stating we should have a centre-forward with better attributes to play the role more effectively than him is not slagging off Paterson, it is stating facts about our poor recruitment. 

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I don't think so no. As I said it is a decent return and is commendable. Stating we should have a centre-forward with better attributes to play the role more effectively than him is not slagging off Paterson, it is stating facts about our poor recruitment. 

I'd deffo be interested in seeing what his stats are from the games he's played up front

Gotta be amazing surely?

As for people criticising him - they're merely criticising the fact that he appears clumsy or chunky 

Maybe they're just plain wrong that he's a rubbish striker if he's banging goal after goal in?

Owlstalk Shop

12 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I'd deffo be interested in seeing what his stats are from the games he's played up front

Gotta be amazing surely?

As for people criticising him - they're merely criticising the fact that he appears clumsy or chunky 

Maybe they're just plain wrong that he's a rubbish striker if he's banging goal after goal in?

So you were happy with the approach we took in the January transfer window then as we have seemingly got enough in that position? 

5 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

So you were happy with the approach we took in the January transfer window then as we have seemingly got enough in that position? 

No mate - definitely not but anyone saying we could have done better gets jumped on by the Chansiri Defence League nutters

lol

Owlstalk Shop

6 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

No mate - definitely not but anyone saying we could have done better gets jumped on by the Chansiri Defence League nutters

lol

Fair enough. In broad terms I think we are in agreement on this then. Paterson is doing a good job. I don't expect him to be able to outrun or out-jump defenders, hold the ball up effectively, lead the line and bring others into play. He has done very well at sniffing out chances and poaching the odd goal, I think he would be more effective if he had an actual striker to play off. 

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

Fair enough. In broad terms I think we are in agreement on this then. Paterson is doing a good job. I don't expect him to be able to outrun or out-jump defenders, hold the ball up effectively, lead the line and bring others into play.  

Doesn't need to though - as he's proven by banging the goals in as the team has won

This is my point really - if he's scoring and we're winning how can anyone complain or say that he should be more elegant?

Just keep smashing em in (or fumbling em over the line) and that's fine for me

He makes goals out of absolutely nothing

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

37 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Doesn't need to though - as he's proven by banging the goals in as the team has won

This is my point really - if he's scoring and we're winning how can anyone complain or say that he should be more elegant?

Just keep smashing em in (or fumbling em over the line) and that's fine for me

He makes goals out of absolutely nothing

Can’t fault his effort, but the fact that he doesn’t think like a striker, means that we don’t function properly as an attacking unit We need a centre forward who can bring others into play, as well as scoring goals

Just now, gurujuan said:

Can’t fault his effort, but the fact that he doesn’t think like a striker, means that we don’t function properly as an attacking unit We need a centre forward who can bring others into play, as well as scoring goals

He's scoring goals
So is Rhodes

We're winning games

lol

I'm baffled with people wanting to change or criticise any aspect of that

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

I can’t believe you’re blaming Patterson, for us not functioning as an attacking unit. Words fail me!

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

If that is true it may explain how he gets free in the box to bundle goals in....he does things and takes up positions that defenders don't expect?

7 hours ago, sexpistol said:

I’m sorry but that is utter rubbish. He was never as bad as sone people made out. To say he ‘picked up slightly’ suggests you had an agenda against him. 
He improved massively and was one of our better players at the end. As for the contract running out insinuation. He didn’t sign one with us did he.

If he was so bad why did he sign for a club that is better than us currently?

All about opinions mate................................i`m sorry but i think its "utter rubbish" to say he "improved massively"

You rate him , fair enough ..........................I dont , no "agenda" whatsoever just my opinion .......................and his only decent spell  DID come in his last 6 months when he was lauded to a degree that went way beyond what was deserved.........................again IMHO.

As for him signing for someone better..........................good luck to the lad, hope it works out for him , but I`m not sorry hes gone.

4 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

The whole basis of the original Moneyball project in Oakland ... ignore what a positional player SHOULD look like and focus on the numbers !