Sheffield Wednesday MADNESS

Love 'em or hate 'em, when Madness released 'Cardiac Arrest' they were the first band since the Beatles to have 15 consecutive top ten hits.

That's some going for a 'novelty' band!

And anybody dissing grown men wearing Fez's or pork pie hat's and dancing about at their concerts need to have a word with themselves or do they sit on their hands when Wednesday score a goal?

The Nutty boys gigs are a fantastic night out and that even includes any of the Complete Madness tribute band gigs I've been to.

• Like 2

Guest Bulgaria

Madness were fantastic.

Don't let the passing of time lul you into thinking they were just a joke band of their day.

Some of their songs are superb.

9 hours ago, shandypants said:

Skids - yes; Clash - absolutely the best band of that era, but Sex Pistols were just all image and no substance - rubbish. 

Sorry I’m going to bite. There is a reason the Sex Pistols are often cited as one of the most influential bands of all time. Like em or loath em they changed music like no other band since the Beatles. Many cite them as an influence and Never Mind the testicles is widely regarded as one of the greatest albums of all time.

As for the Skids? Let’s be honest not many people will remember them. I think they are okay but nothing more.

The Clash ? I don’t mind, but they will always be considered the second punk band. Say to most people, name a punk band and they would most likely say the Sex Pistols . The clash were sloganeers in my opinion.

9 minutes ago, sexpistol said:

Sorry I’m going to bite. There is a reason the Sex Pistols are often cited as one of the most influential bands of all time. Like em or loath em they changed music like no other band since the Beatles. Many cite them as an influence and Never Mind the testicles is widely regarded as one of the greatest albums of all time.

As for the Skids? Let’s be honest not many people will remember them. I think they are okay but nothing more.

The Clash ? I don’t mind, but they will always be considered the second punk band. Say to most people, name a punk band and they would most likely say the Sex Pistols . The clash were sloganeers in my opinion.

The Sex Pistols were manufactured by Malcom McLaren - at the time he was no better than any other producer looking for commercial success.  The band themselves were all Carnaby Street and Camden; Vivienne Westwood and “let’s say something shocking”. Sid Vicious was recruited when Matlock left because he was the cool kid around the scene. McLaren put it on record that he only recruited John Lydon because he mistook him for Sid Vicious (they were both known as “John” offstage). McLaren and the band were milking the Punk scene for all they could IMO. 

Never Mind the Bo770x widely regarded as one of the greatest albums of all time? I’m sorry but I can’t agree at all with that. There’s one or two good songs on that album but that’s about it. The Sex Pistols redeeming feature is that they were brave enough to be shocking. 

Don’t get me wrong, although I’ve ranted about them, I don’t hate them, I just believe that they are overhyped. There were so many better bands around at that time that made better music in my opinion. Also, my opinion is that Lydon went onto bigger and better things. 

1 minute ago, sheriwozgod said:

Early madness was very good , the latter stuff however like driving in my car and wings of a dove were awful.

Our House in particular was putrid........................makes me want to put my foot through the radio

How can a house be built right in the middle of a street too?

How would the cars get past?

Madness - REYT LIARS

Owlstalk Shop

On 15/02/2021 at 14:59, Pulsar said:

Love 'em or hate 'em, when Madness released 'Cardiac Arrest' they were the first band since the Beatles to have 15 consecutive top ten hits.

That's some going for a 'novelty' band!

And anybody dissing grown men wearing Fez's or pork pie hat's and dancing about at their concerts need to have a word with themselves or do they sit on their hands when Wednesday score a goal?

The Nutty boys gigs are a fantastic night out and that even includes any of the Complete Madness tribute band gigs I've been to.

Top selling artist of the 80s was Shakin Stevens 

Owlstalk Shop