More points deductions mooted?

Every club must be losing vast amounts of money at moment, thousands if not millions. 

It doesn't make sense for EFL to be picking on any club right now, I'm surprised a club hasn't gone under during this season.

If fans can't return by start of next season it might be pointless starting it outside Premier League. 

• Haha 1

Many clubs will be looking to form a new league if they punish clubs when bugger all income coming in. They will find themselves out of business, they are not fit for purpose as it stands, just imagine a foreign company taking over the English league, oh the irony.

3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

It's all such an interwoven web of rules and people isn't it

I wasn't aware the PFA had decided to get the pay cap scrapped which means we go back to FFP

That's a talking point in itself

I think the PFA and the EFL both know that the current FFP/P&S rules are unworkable in these two seasons where every club without parachute payments will make losses. Clubs are faced with the double whammy of reduced gate receipts and paying back season ticket monies. Seems to me most clubs will fall foul of the rules if EFL apply them to the letter.

Could get rather messy if once they start down that road more and more clubs come under scrutiny 

That article suggests to me that the EFL are going after Stoke and Reading next. Stoke's parachute payments have finished and they have something like 12 players on £50k+ per week, so they will probably be next for the old points deduction. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bradowl said:

Every club must be losing vast amounts of money at moment, thousands if not millions. 

It doesn't make sense for EFL to be picking on any club right now, I'm surprised a club hasn't gone under during this season.

If fans can't return by start of next season it might be pointless starting it outside Premier League. 

I agree, I think more sad news will be on the cards before the end of this season, hopefully nothing concerning us...

The EFL are forcing clubs to play on behind closed doors with no income ...

How on gods earth would they be able to justify any points deductions for not paying players on time ?   What do they expect ?

18 minutes ago, Minton said:

That article suggests to me that the EFL are going after Stoke and Reading next. Stoke's parachute payments have finished and they have something like 12 players on £50k+ per week, so they will probably be next for the old points deduction. 

Yeah, they might find the Coates family dispute any charges extremely vigorously

6 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Yeah exactly 

The EFL isn't some totally seperate entity

It IS the clubs

It is in the sense that the clubs agreed to the rules in place but nobody envisaged a global pandemic that would cut off the main source of income for over a year. If the EFL start taking sanctions for financial issues that have occurred during this time then they are likely to face a backlash from within. 

17 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Apologies if already discussed, just seen a post on twitter from Nick De Marco, the guy who represented us in the P&S breach case. I know the fact we have been late with wages has been mentioned in relation to possible points deductions on here before but this is the first time I have seen it mentioned specifically in the press. Excerpt if from the Daily Mail, note it says 'if' sanctions are brought rather than suggesting they will be. 

image.png.e206b83d17e38a0ce1e8f1c16427539a.png

The article references Macclesfield being deducted points but I think their circumstances were somewhat different to ours. 

The piece above it also suggests others on the brink of trouble regarding the financial rules in the Championship. 

I'd be shocked if the EFL took further action and deducted more points from us this season given how they messed it up last time around and it isn't as if our payments are not being made eventually. The recent scrapping of the salary caps has also done them no favours either, can't see them being keen on pursuing this right now.

The article also says we won our case against the EFL. How come we had a points deduction then?

18 hours ago, bradowl said:

16 hours ago, owlinaus said:

I agree, I think more sad news will be on the cards before the end of this season, hopefully nothing concerning us...

Well it isn't an EFL club but National League Dover Athletic have just announced that they have furloughed all there staff, sent all loan players back to there clubs and have said they have completely run out of money and won't be able to play anymore fixtures.

7 hours ago, bradowl said:

Well it isn't an EFL club but National League Dover Athletic have just announced that they have furloughed all there staff, sent all loan players back to there clubs and have said they have completely run out of money and won't be able to play anymore fixtures.

Hopefully someone will come to their rescue, but look at Bury....not good news all round.

7 hours ago, bradowl said:

Which is a real shame...it's club that I have watched numerous times when I was down in Dover visiting family...a great little ground and club in a great area. Sad to think it's going under

• Like 1

About time they formed a Premier League II, all these issues have sprung from carrying on last season and will continue to arise. The lower tiers can't survive without income. We'll forever be playing catch up each season, all cos Sky, the big clubs and a few teams at the top of their League's wanted to finish last season.

All the leagues should have ended as they were last season, giving clubs more time to prepare or delay this season, instead of condensing the season and playing without fans. The game is rotten to the core and broken. Many clubs will go to the wall, the way things are going, whilst the top clubs continue getting richer.

Sanctioning any clubs during a pandemic, whilst there's no fans at games, is harsh and obscene. Considering the loss of income and the failure payment handouts, distorting any sense of fairness. There's no common sense in the game, just pure greed, selfishness and delusion. 

• Like 2