More points deductions mooted?

Apologies if already discussed, just seen a post on twitter from Nick De Marco, the guy who represented us in the P&S breach case. I know the fact we have been late with wages has been mentioned in relation to possible points deductions on here before but this is the first time I have seen it mentioned specifically in the press. Excerpt if from the Daily Mail, note it says 'if' sanctions are brought rather than suggesting they will be. 

image.png.e206b83d17e38a0ce1e8f1c16427539a.png

The article references Macclesfield being deducted points but I think their circumstances were somewhat different to ours. 

Piece above it also suggests others on the brink of trouble regarding the financial rules in the Championship. 

I'd be shocked if the EFL took further action and deducted more points from us this season given how they messed it up last time around and it isn't as if our payments are not being made eventually. The recent scrapping of the salary caps has also done them no favours either, can't see them being keen on pursuing this right now.

22 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Apologies if already discussed, just seen a post on twitter from Nick De Marco, the guy who represented us in the P&S breach case. I know the fact we have been late with wages has been mentioned in relation to possible points deductions on here before but this is the first time I have seen it mentioned specifically in the press. Excerpt if from the Daily Mail, note it says 'if' sanctions are brought rather than suggesting they will be. 

image.png.e206b83d17e38a0ce1e8f1c16427539a.png

The article references Macclesfield being deducted points but I think their circumstances were somewhat different to ours. 

Piece above it also suggests others on the brink of trouble regarding the financial rules in the Championship. 

I'd be shocked if the EFL took further action and deducted more points from us this season given how they messed it up last time around and it isn't as if our payments are not being made eventually. The recent scrapping of the salary caps has also done them no favours either, can't see them being keen on pursuing this right now.

I think the EFL will avoid points deductions if possible. It could get very messy and if multiple teams are docked points in a given season it would bring the integrity of the competition into question. They don’t want that. Also, the possibility of appeals and delays to the following season would be a nightmare scenario. 

• Like 1

Can't see the EFL bothered who they sanction. 

To them all teams are subject to the rules and any misuse will be prosecuted,  it's not a problem for them to take  Clubs to court as it's the Clubs who pay them in the first place.

So if they believe (x) amount of Clubs have broken the rules they will prosecute all of them.

41 minutes ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

I think the EFL will avoid points deductions if possible. It could get very messy and if multiple teams are docked points in a given season it would bring the integrity of the competition into question. They don’t want that. Also, the possibility of appeals and delays to the following season would be a nightmare scenario. 

I was a bit reluctant to start the thread to be honest but it is a national press piece relating to our club.

As I said in the OP, it is very much speculation, all 'ifs' rather than anything concrete but the rules do indicate sanctions can be taken against cubs not making payments on time. 

I agree with you though, I just can't see it being pursued at the moment. The club is making the payments and when so many businesses are going to the wall as a result of income lost to the pandemic, to take action against clubs for internal issues like this now would not reflect well on the EFL. 

All players have been paid n full loads of clubs have deferred payments and others in much worse situation. EFL will eventually read law and realise they have not fit for purpose scheme which id=f somebody took high court route would fall apart as did not treat all clubs fair and equally.

With cash flow problems the world over and most companies suffering it would be a diabolical decision.  Chances are loads of clubs will need bailing out and new investors as debts will have grown for all. Therefore they need to attract money into game not stop rich people investing. 

The reason they will cancel P&S is it does do not do what is intended. 

If they want to take heat out of Championship parachute payments need stopping. 

• Like 1