Steve Bruce getting abuse from Newcastle fans

2 hours ago, mcmigo said:

The answer, sadly, is that it won't.

- Name and shame. 
- only verified people should have accounts on social media

- social media companies should work harder to remove abuse before it’s posted (sentiment analysis etc)

Its too easy for people to act like two hats

Edit: My real name is Crookes Owl. So I’m ok obvs 

Edited by crookesowl

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Dislike the choice of manager -  we all do that

Post criticism of him- that's fine

Point out any and everything he does wrong as a manager relentlessly - that's fine

Get personal or abusive or mad stuff -  that's never fine

What about the personal abuse and mad stuff about Chansiri on here then. Where does it end? Why is that fine? 

There are laws in place and these need to be followed through and large monetary fines handed down. That's what will curb the cretins online behavior. But its a slippery slope. 

The trouble is football is very emotive, especially where family ties are involved which go back generations.  We all at times place too much importance upon our team doing well and get very angry when things go wrong.  I know I do on a frequent basis and get carried away.  I feel very angry being powerless watching Chansiri seemingly destroy our club.  Maybe I am wrong or being abusive criticising him?  Maybe I am abusive when I feel that people like Bullen have overstayed their time at the club?  It is not necessarily a populist view.

Before social media opinions were expressed in a pub and such opinions were left there.  You could vent and say what you wanted to your mates.  [i would love to go back to those days and ditch the mobile phone].  These days the ‘target of abuse’ hears first hand through reading Twitter or some other social media platform.  Not nice for the recipient but if you have a job in the public domain it goes with the territory to some extent.   Not saying it is nice or fair.  

Most people saying “I hope Bruce dies of COVID” would not mean it if they thought about it and how they would feel if someone in their family dies.  

Not sure as to the point I’m trying to make other than to give an alternative view and perhaps to say that the strange COVID world we are living in means people have irrational and illogical views.  Perhaps we need to be more tolerant of the “abuser”?  A radical view.....

2 minutes ago, TommyCraig said:

What about the personal abuse and mad stuff about Chansiri on here then.  

We don't allow personal abuse of Chansiri

If our members spot it they usually report it and it's deleted straight away

If our mods spot it - same

As for 'mad stuff' if you're referring to criticism - then I honestly can't be  bothered getting into that debate as it just leads to people deeming valid criticism as 'abuse' towards Chansiri (and usually they throw 'and his family' in )

lol

Owlstalk Shop

Guest Therealrealist
2 hours ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Why don't the celebs just leave social media until somebody comes along with a platform that will give them the protection they want?

That’s a good point...maybe a lot of them crave/need the attention??

Surely these social media companies know the IP addresses of the devices this horrible stuff is posted from.

Pass a law that forces all social media companies to sign up to a database that stores the IP addresses every user posts from. As soon as someone posts something on any platform that breaches their acceptable use policy, all their accounts on all the platforms are automatically and permanently closed. That IP address, any any other IP addresses on their database is permanently locked out.

Some people will of course buy new devices and start again, but they can't do that forever.

I'm sure some will moan about 1984 and Big Brother but thats people who can't distinguish between the fantasy of a novel and reality so screw them.

3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

The reaction to Alex doing this interview and saying what's happening is the Newcastle fanbase  are now attacking Alex 

When is all this angry mad abuse hate situation just gonna just STOP?

When anonymity is banned and you can see weasels that are making the comments. Very easy to be brave behind a mask.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TommyCraig said:

And good old fashioned money. Either directly through the platform or indirectly through exposure/advertising etc... 

Celebs get exposure  and from that comes jobs, work, money, sponsorships

Social Media platforms get more hits because celebs are on their sites, driving advertising revenues

Win win for both

That's why neither will stop being what they are where they are

And nor should they

They're not the ones being abusive or hateful (usually!)

It's a shame Facebook and Twitter aren't as well maintained as Youtube is which on the whole is really excellently ran

Owlstalk Shop

Guest Therealrealist

There’s good eggs in the world and bad eggs..that’s the way it is...it will never change..if we wer all upstanding citizens we wouldn’t need a police force...is anybody surprised about all this stuff tha5 keeps happening???

Twitter, Facebook ect the main men do absolutely nothing to stop this 

Make it a legal requirement that if you wanna keep/sign up a profile on these apps that you must upload a passport/birth certificate, proof of address and it will remain on file 

A 18 year girl committed suicide the other day due to online bullying 

Caroline flack the same

There's too many t055ers these days and these big companies need to do more to get rid of them 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, Sticky Micky said:

Twitter, Facebook ect the main men do absolutely nothing to stop this 

Make it a legal requirement that if you wanna keep/sign up a profile on these apps that you must upload a passport/birth certificate, proof of address and it will remain on file 

A 18 year girl committed suicide the other day due to online bullying 

Caroline flack the same

There's too many t055ers these days and these big companies need to do more to get rid of them 

Amen -well said

Owlstalk Shop

Unfortunately I think whatever social media platform we use, we will always have to be careful what we say, do, comment on, as somebody else will only ever read it their way, and possibly not the way that was intended....

Things are only getting worse....😡

8 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

I know this is going to sound controversial but taking the knee before every game has highlighted this in the wrong way, with some black players putting up a fist whilst kneeling is feeding the racist with what they want, them and us culture, it needed a better solution than BLM, what I don't know, but I think it is having a more divisive outcome than a bringing together,  as I said I don't know the answer but the kneeling should stop.

• Like 1