Bayern's Sextuple.

No, not a weird muckfilm.

Bayern have just won the World Club Championship and now everyone seems to be banging on about them winning the Sextuple.

I'm not downplaying ther overall achievements. They romped the CL and being World Champions is always a cool claim to have.

But since when were one off Supercups an achievement? The German Supercup is literally the same as the Charity/Community Shield. And the European Supercup no more impressive either.

Surely any competition where you only need to win one game isn't worth anything.

I don't recall many English double and treble winners bumping their achievement up by adding the Charity Shield to it.

I don't know why it bothered me, but it seems to cheapen it somehow. The average quality of the 6 is lower than the average quality of the 4.

*The above does not apply if you are Sheffield United. I'm sure their honours board is filled with their glorious achievements of the Charity shield and one off friendly competitions.

I don't disagree, but they're not alone with this. Pep and Mourinho have both counted Community Shields in their trophy hauls during interviews, and when people talk of Barcelona's great team they include the Spanish Super Cup in their calculations.

I even had a Man United supporting colleague who had a poster of the Earth from space, with arrows pointing to England, Europe and the globe itself, proclaiming their dominance in all of them.

Tbf, Liverpool prioritised that club world thing over the domestic cups last year. 

Think it is seen as good for global marketing and furthering the brand etc. 

I've also seen promotion stuff from them where they have both the Champs League and PL alongside one another, as they one both within a 12-month period...even though it was in two different seasons. 

Guest T Hardy
On 11/02/2021 at 22:02, Leaping Lannys Perm said:

No, not a weird muckfilm.

Bayern have just won the World Club Championship and now everyone seems to be banging on about them winning the Sextuple.

I'm not downplaying ther overall achievements. They romped the CL and being World Champions is always a cool claim to have.

But since when were one off Supercups an achievement? The German Supercup is literally the same as the Charity/Community Shield. And the European Supercup no more impressive either.

Surely any competition where you only need to win one game isn't worth anything.

I don't recall many English double and treble winners bumping their achievement up by adding the Charity Shield to it.

I don't know why it bothered me, but it seems to cheapen it somehow. The average quality of the 6 is lower than the average quality of the 4.

*The above does not apply if you are Sheffield United. I'm sure their honours board is filled with their glorious achievements of the Charity shield and one off friendly competitions.

Perhaps in a few years time we’ll say similar things about the FA Cup or League Cup, when most Premier League sides just play their reserves in it.

I agree I don’t really see the community shield/German super cup as a trophy, but you get a trophy/shield/cup for it that will go in your museum for eternity and it’s another medal.

Regarding teams not showing it off as much here, I bet they would do if winning that meant they could count it as an extra trophy if they’d already won every other completion they were in.