Anyone been before, looking to go (hopefully) next year or the year after. Been saving like crazy for it as I don’t think it’ll be that cheap. Thinking of flying in to San Francisco and renting a car to drive over. Plan is to hike half dome, potentially do some climbing up El Capitan. Any recommendations or advice out there? Would be much appreciated! 

• Like 1

It seems a tricky one to plan, there’s talk of actually making it bigger. Yosemite, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons and Banff. But we’ll see, main thing for me is being able to go to Yosemite, anything else will be a bonus and dependent on money.

also, I’ll try not to die if I climb up El Cap 😂

Edited by BetterCallSaul
  • Like 1

We have vague plans to do a LA-Vegas-Yosemite-San Fran road trip at some undefined point in the future.

A lot of my family have been to Yosemite because my aunt lives 'nearby' (12 hour drive) and they absolutely loved it. 

I like how that counts as nearby, America is far too big. Still trying to decide how best to do it, really not sure. Missus said she’d go but only if we go to LA and do the touristy stuff too, Disneyland, walk of fame etc. Fine with it but All of that isn’t cheap!

• Haha 1

Did a 3 weeker round that neck of the woods a few years back. 

LA -> SF -> Napa -> Tahoe -> Yosemite -> Death Valley -> Vegas -> Grand Canyon -> Joshua Tree -> Palm Springs -> LA.

Saw Vince Vaughan at Glacier Point.

Do it. I would do it again in a heartbeat. 3 genuinely unforgettable weeks (though I had to watch the play-off final vs. Hull from a motel in Tahoe...that was pretty forgettable).

On 12/02/2021 at 22:07, TheGodfather said:

Did a 3 weeker round that neck of the woods a few years back. 

LA -> SF -> Napa -> Tahoe -> Yosemite -> Death Valley -> Vegas -> Grand Canyon -> Joshua Tree -> Palm Springs -> LA.

Saw Vince Vaughan at Glacier Point.

Do it. I would do it again in a heartbeat. 3 genuinely unforgettable weeks (though I had to watch the play-off final vs. Hull from a motel in Tahoe...that was pretty forgettable).

that sounds a great trip, similar to what I want to do. I love the idea of trying to get to a few of the different national parks. You think Death Valley is worth it?

1 hour ago, Orlando_Trustful said:

We had a trip booked there for last July. Similar idea, rent a car in San Francisco and then spend a few days there. Hopefully we’ll be able to rearrange it for 2022 😭.

where were you planning on staying in Yosemite? You camping or in one of the hotels?

9 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

where were you planning on staying in Yosemite? You camping or in one of the hotels?

We booked one of those cabin / lodge places in Mammoth. It didnt look anything special but was still about $120 a night. 

Been several times as some of the family lives close by (even by European standards - 2.5 hours) and across California. 

It is a lovely place but as with most US national parks it has that weird combination of being awe-striking and packed with people queuing in cars and slightly manicured. 

As said above, accommodation is expensive. In particular inside the park (we tend to do day trips). We love going to CA and save a lot of money staying with family but I remember when it used to be cheap travelling to the USA. When the Sterling was twice the dollar. That was fun. 

Yeah I think overall that’s the main issue with it, amount of people and cost. Think the accommodation can get a little bit to eye watering levels... but I think it’ll be worth it, or I hope so at least haha

On 12/02/2021 at 14:52, BetterCallSaul said:

It seems a tricky one to plan, there’s talk of actually making it bigger. Yosemite, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons and Banff. But we’ll see, main thing for me is being able to go to Yosemite, anything else will be a bonus and dependent on money.

also, I’ll try not to die if I climb up El Cap 😂

The Banff that's down the road from me?

Your planning to cross the border? Fly back from where?

On 14/02/2021 at 16:06, BetterCallSaul said:

that sounds a great trip, similar to what I want to do. I love the idea of trying to get to a few of the different national parks. You think Death Valley is worth it?

We just drove through it to get to Vegas.

It was an experience in that...well...quelle surprise...it was really f*cking hot. We stopped at a place called Badwater Basin, walked no more than about 300 yards, and genuinely it almost killed me. So if that's your bag, go for it mate.

13 hours ago, edmontonowl said:

The Banff that's down the road from me?

Your planning to cross the border? Fly back from where?

Calgary makes the most sense, obviously not direct but it’s just one of many plans, trying to figure out how practical it is really. 

12 hours ago, TheGodfather said:

We just drove through it to get to Vegas.

It was an experience in that...well...quelle surprise...it was really f*cking hot. We stopped at a place called Badwater Basin, walked no more than about 300 yards, and genuinely it almost killed me. So if that's your bag, go for it mate.

think I can give that a miss 👀:laugh:

5 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Calgary makes the most sense, obviously not direct but it’s just one of many plans, trying to figure out how practical it is really. 

Long ol' drive from Wyoming to Banff

If you were to do it, have the time, and want to  avoid tourist crowds you could spend time in Waterton NP which is just across the International border and west of Cardston

If you are thinking about Yellowstone and the Tetons, I’d avoid October thru early April.

While it’s beautiful in the winter, driving in winter around there isn’t a lot of fun. Especially if you aren’t used to driving in the U.S.

At the very least, you won’t be able to cover the same mileage in a day that you could do in summer.

The owls are not what they seem.

On 17/02/2021 at 15:46, edmontonowl said:

Long ol' drive from Wyoming to Banff

If you were to do it, have the time, and want to  avoid tourist crowds you could spend time in Waterton NP which is just across the International border and west of Cardston

Is that just the Canadian side of glacier NP?

11 hours ago, Neal M said:

If you are thinking about Yellowstone and the Tetons, I’d avoid October thru early April.

While it’s beautiful in the winter, driving in winter around there isn’t a lot of fun. Especially if you aren’t used to driving in the U.S.

At the very least, you won’t be able to cover the same mileage in a day that you could do in summer.

I'm a teacher so will be in the summer, when it is nice and expensive 🙂