Alan Biggs giving to people straight

Just now, daveyboy66 said:

I use it solely for links to interviews via Yorkshire live and don't  post unless it's some fundraising gig

It's my go to for news unfortunately and it was a god send when I couldn't watch games. 

The more I look at it, the more nutters seem to appear, its actually more time consuming filtering the rubbish. 

1 minute ago, Maddogbob said:

It's my go to for news unfortunately and it was a god send when I couldn't watch games. 

The more I look at it, the more nutters seem to appear, its actually more time consuming filtering the rubbish. 

Thing is - it doesn't have to be like that

Today I had a funny and upbeat chat with a comedian I really like (Richard Herring) and his fans and we all got on great, had a proper funny laugh and everyone was chatting to him like they chat to their mates

Basically how it should/could be

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Thing is - it doesn't have to be like that

Today I had a funny and upbeat chat with a comedian I really like (Richard Herring) and his fans and we all got on great, had a proper funny laugh and everyone was chatting to him like they chat to their mates

Basically how it should/could be

Yeah that's exactly how it should be and it's great for competitions, I've entered a few and won a couple through it. 

As you say, as it should be. 

Which if I'm honest, that's probably what it was designed for. 

Promo and interaction. 

Edited by Maddogbob

6 minutes ago, Maddogbob said:

Yeah that's exactly how it should be and it's great for competitions, I've entered a few and won a couple through it. 

As you say, as it should be. 

Which if I'm honest, that's probably what it was designed for. 

Promo and interaction. 

I also have a zero strike policy now

Act like a nob towards me even just once and you're immediately blocked

No second chances

Life's too short

Cut out the nutjobs - keep the nice

I also proactively block anyone I see being a d%ckhead to anyone else

Owlstalk Shop

5 minutes ago, MarvelOwls said:

I suppose it depends on the content and the audience its aimed at.

I'd say I'm pretty thick skinned but I worry for my kids and the next generations.

When I was bullied as a kid I could get home and switch off from it. No escaping it now. So I've got a pretty tough job on to try and make sure they are hardened to it and really arent bothered.

That's a massive worry and a concern I have, you literally can't turn it off. 

It used to be chin the loudest one and its all good or tell someone. These days not so easy to deal with. 

The biggest fear I have, with my two being mixed race is racism and being white myself I've no idea how I'm going to deal with it or react. 

Edited by Maddogbob

1 minute ago, MarvelOwls said:

I'd say I'm pretty thick skinned but I worry for my kids and the next generations.

When I was bullied as a kid I could get home and switch off from it. No escaping it now. So I've got a pretty tough job on to try and make sure they are hardened to it and really arent bothered.

My youngest is a boy, he is as lovely as they come - chatty, will talk to anyone.    As something he does outside school, he studies dance - just as his two older sisters do.   He has lessons every week - still under lockdown he does over zoom -  He is still very young, and he gets dogs abuse from kids he goes to school with because of this, and even parents of some of the kids he goes to school with.   It's disgraceful.    He has at such a young age been labelled gay by some of these people because he dances - yet this thing he does has had his sisters go dance abroad, in Paris - and he'll have the same opportunity should coronavirus permit in the next few years and if he continues with it, which I am sure he will.

He also loves playing football, he loves boxing - both so called masculine activities.    Go figure.

People just chat crap based on what they believe about someone.    You can't be hardened to it really though, all you can do is get used to the abuse and shut it out.    

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, MarvelOwls said:

Aye. I don’t envy you. What a challenge trying to balance the pressures. 

Like you say, being called pizza face usually stopped at the gates, and that’s pretty innocuous anyway!

Just now, Salmonbones said:

My youngest is a boy, he is as lovely as they come - chatty, will talk to anyone.    As something he does outside school, he studies dance - just as his two older sisters do.   He has lessons every week - still under lockdown he does over zoom -  He is still very young, and he gets dogs abuse from kids he goes to school with because of this, and even parents of some of the kids he goes to school with.   It's disgraceful.    He has at such a young age been labelled gay by some of these people because he dances - yet this thing he does has had his sisters go dance abroad, in Paris - and he'll have the same opportunity should coronavirus permit in the next few years and if he continues with it, which I am sure he will.

He also loves playing football, he loves boxing - both so called masculine activities.    Go figure.

People just chat crap based on what they believe about someone.    You can't be hardened to it really though, all you can do is get used to the abuse and shut it out.    

I hope he takes up dance full time, goes to Paris, turns professional, gets famous, has the best life and makes the most money possible

Best way to shut the losers up

• Like 1
  • Love 3
  • Thanks 1

Owlstalk Shop

4 minutes ago, Salmonbones said:

Albert Quixall (RIP) married his dance teacher; He wasn't a boxer though. But the point is being quick and light on your feet hold you in good stead, be it Boxing, Football or Dance. Not sure if there exists an Albert Quixall biography but similarly to the Lev Yashin story. Try and follow it up for him.   

10 minutes ago, Salmonbones said:

Does what he enjoys and I hope he smashes it dance wise. He must be extremely fit to do that plus boxing and football as well. 

Far far better than sat on a games machine at home. Nowt finer than kids doing an activity they enjoy. 

All the best to him. 

Edited by Maddogbob

1 minute ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Albert Quixall (RIP) married his dance teacher; He wasn't a boxer though. But the point is being quick and light on your feet hold you in good stead, be it Boxing, Football or Dance. Not sure if there exists an Albert Quixall biography but similarly to the Lev Yashin story. Try and follow it up for him.   

As a side note, when I was my lads age - I was told that Wednesday players used to have to take dance lessons as it helped them with their fitness and balance.    This would be around 1986.    Would you know if this is true?   It was a teacher at Manor Lodge who said this, it may be true, it may not!

If this was the case, when did it stop?   It seems like a good idea for basic fitness and whatnot.

4 minutes ago, Salmonbones said:

As a side note, when I was my lads age - I was told that Wednesday players used to have to take dance lessons as it helped them with their fitness and balance.    This would be around 1986.    Would you know if this is true?   It was a teacher at Manor Lodge who said this, it may be true, it may not!

If this was the case, when did it stop?   It seems like a good idea for basic fitness and whatnot.

Not related to Wednesday, but my lad played for a team that did boxing as extra training to help with football. 

Disapline fitness and balance. 

Edited by Maddogbob

2 minutes ago, Salmonbones said:

Yes, all true though I can't verify how seriously they took it. I do know quite a few aspiring Wednesday lads were regulars at Hillsborough boys club for Boxing training.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MarvelOwls said:

Mate that's brilliant that he clearly has a talent. I hope he cracks Paris and achieves all he wants and stays happy

Theres a lot of jealousy, and ignorance. Im sure I read about Rio Ferdinand doing ballet? Best CB ( non Wednesday ) that I've seen live.

I try to expose them to everything. 

My missus danced in New York. My daughter goes to ballet, tap and gymnastics.

When my son is old enough I'll take him too and give them all I can to make them happy.

That's what we do as Dads right? Provide and protect.

Credit to you and him for carrying on with it and not giving in.

Cant let them win.

I did read a good few articles on the NSPCC website about dealing with a few issues. Worth a look.

( @owlstalk sorry for going off post a little but thought worth mentioning )

Cheers for the post in general, but as to the bold - we deal with it as and when it rears it's head - every time.    It will happen again in future and we will deal with it.    It's life - sadly.

He'll be a stronger person for it, as will we!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Salmonbones said:

Sounds like he's got a great future ahead of him, particularly with your support. He'll definitely have the last laugh and his abusers will probably not amount to much. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

FOOTBALL OPEN LETTER TO FACEBOOK AND TWITTER 

11 February 2021

Dear Jack and Mark, 

Recent weeks have seen the levels of vicious, offensive abuse from users of your services aimed at footballers and match officials rise even further, we write to ask that for reasons of basic human decency you use the power of your global systems to bring this to an end.

The language used is debasing, often threatening and illegal.  It causes distress to the recipients and the vast majority of people who abhor racism, sexism and discrimination of any kind.

We have had many meetings with your executives over the years but the reality is your platforms remain havens for abuse. Your inaction has created the belief in the minds of the anonymous perpetrators that they are beyond reach.

The relentless flow of racist and discriminatory messages feeds on itself: the more it is tolerated by Twitter, Facebook and Instagram, platforms with billions of users, the more it becomes normal, accepted behaviour.

The services you provide are of course hugely impressive in their reach, scale and ease of use. Billions of communications every day are enabled by them, but a minority has found protected spaces where they can say whatever they want without regard to the law.

We ask you to accept that none of your users should be hounded off your platforms, losing access to the great communications media of our times, because of their gender or the colour of their skin.

The targets of abuse should be offered basic protections, and we ask that you accept responsibility for preventing abuse from appearing on your platforms and go further than you have promised to do to date. We ask that: 

Messages and posts should be filtered and blocked before being sent or posted if they contain racist or discriminatory material 

You should operate robust, transparent, and swift measures to take down abusive material if it does get into circulation 

All users should be subject to an improved verification process that (only if required by law enforcement) allows for accurate identification of the person behind the account.

Steps should also be taken to stop a user that has sent abuse previously from re-registering an account 

Your platforms should actively and expeditiously assist the investigating authorities in identifying the originators of illegal discriminatory material

Many footballers in English football receive illegal abuse from accounts all over the world and your companies have the power to bring this to an end.

We welcome the comments made on Twitter by the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport, Oliver Dowden,  that the UK Government is going to change the law to make social media companies more accountable for what happens on their platforms and they should “start showing their duty of care to players today by weeding out racist abuse now.”

Players, match officials, managers and coaches of any origin and background and at any level of football should be able to participate in the game without having to endure illegal abuse. We, the leaders of the game in English football, will do everything we can to protect them, but we cannot succeed until you change the ability of offenders to remain anonymous. 

We note the current assurances from Facebook that standards will be tightened, but far more is needed to drive change. We call for meetings with your organisations to discuss the evidence of abuse on your platforms, the action you are taking, and how you plan to directly address the matters outlined in this letter.

Yours sincerely, 

Richard Masters, Chief Executive, Premier League

Owlstalk Shop

Guest Therealrealist

Maybe if the press outlets didn’t devote so much time to reporting what one or 2 nuggets on twitter had said there wudnt be any copycat nuggets desperate for a mention...it gets far too much airtime...bbc ran with the headline about atty getting abuse after dcs last press conference..it could have been a fan of anybody yet it made the headlines instead of all the other stuff

1 minute ago, Therealrealist said:

Maybe if the press outlets didn’t devote so much time to reporting what one or 2 nuggets on twitter had said there wudnt be any copycat nuggets desperate for a mention...it gets far too much airtime...bbc ran with the headline about atty getting abuse after dcs last press conference..it could have been a fan of anybody yet it made the headlines instead of all the other stuff

Good point 

Owlstalk Shop