Alan Biggs giving to people straight

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

I wouldn't be against proof or providing credit card etc - not at all

I think it would improve things no end

Same, you need that sort of proof to join a library for instance.
As long as those details were not sold on elsewhere and data kept so you could be targeted by advertisers or whatever.

I hope it doesn't come to forums like Owlstalk though.

Just now, matthefish2002 said:

Same, you need that sort of proof to join a library for instance.
As long as those details were not sold on elsewhere and data kept so you could be targeted by advertisers or whatever.

I hope it doesn't come to forums like Owlstalk though.

Personally I want targetting by advertisers

Everyone's in such a rush to get rid of targetted  ads they haven't  thought about  what they're going to get as a result

You're gonna get ads that aren't targetted at you, so some 80 year old grandad is gonna get ads for Lady Gaga's new album, and a young kid will get ads for knitting patterns

People boasting about how great it's gonna be when targetted ads are gone are in for a right shock and a worse internet experience

Owlstalk Shop

19 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

He's right tho

To be honest he has jumped on a bandwagon that can't lose, so much for courageous journalism. 

Why not do some proper investigative journalism,  he has the contacts,  and oust these people he's so much against, instead of doing what all Sheffield journalists do and ride everybody else's stories. 

7 minutes ago, daleblue said:

To be honest he has jumped on a bandwagon that can't lose, so much for courageous journalism. 

Why not do some proper investigative journalism,  he has the contacts,  and oust these people he's so much against, instead of doing what all Sheffield journalists do and ride everybody else's stories. 

OH FFS

• Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop

15 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Everyone's in such a rush to get rid of targetted  ads they haven't  thought about  what they're going to get as a result

You're gonna get ads that aren't targetted at you, so some 80 year old grandad is gonna get ads for Lady Gaga's new album, and a young kid will get ads for knitting patterns

People boasting about how great it's gonna be when targetted ads are gone are in for a right shock and a worse internet experience

It will be much better for me when targetted ads are gone. I'm fed up of all the ads for muck, gimp masks and rubber gear I keep getting  lol

• Haha 3

Guest mrbluesky

The only way to cure it is by proving who you are, signing up to a code of conduct, you break them, you are band for life

Will this happen? Not in a million years 

Don't blame the people posting, blame the companies letting them

On a slightly more serious note I find it really annoying that liking quite a few KIng Princess songs that Spotify now sends me loads of LGBT music just because she is a Lesbian.    lol    I think a big dissatisfaction with targetted ads is that you look at something once and the algorithm overdoes it. Amazon is great for this as within a week of spending nearly a grand on a laptop you get bombarded with suggestions to buy the exact same model - ridiculous.

Anybody fancy an HP laptop? I've got a couple of brand new ones for sale. I'll be getting some more in over the next few weeks probably.  lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I agree that things would be much better if people were accountable for what they said online. Would having to process and keep data like credit card details secure be a big bind for the social platforms though?

I'm thinking more about smaller platforms like Bladesmad that can't afford the overhead expense rather than Facebook and Owlstalk with big budgets.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, mrbluesky said:

The only way to cure it is by proving who you are, signing up to a code of conduct, you break them, you are band for life

Will this happen? Not in a million years 

Don't blame the people posting, blame the companies letting them

Yes this kind of negates my last post. Facebook etc can't be bothered to do anything now so if they actually have another dataset to keep and monitor they will have another excuse for not having the resources to act.

43 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

hundred percent agree. I have no issue with being targeted for items I am likely to want. If I don't want or can't afford it no reason to buy. Been a few things I didn't know about that I've done some research and ended up buying a different version of due to them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OutwellOwl said:

Could you really though ?? ... if you had that sort of information then , do you still have an inside  track now , if so, spill the beans mate ... or stop telling us you had "right stories" !!

There are reasons people can't just blurt out certain stories mate - it's not me deliberately teasing stuff and hanging it in front of you

Same applies to when people keep saying stuff like this to journalists and writers and even players

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, matthefish2002 said:

Think if Twitter and Facebook don't manage to get on top of this it will come to having to prove you identity when opening an account.

You will probably have to use a credit / debit card so you can be easily be traced.

Never really understood why fans want access to players other than bragging to their mates they had a chat with one of them though.

The big tech mob would have to handle that very carefully especially in the current platform vs publisher debate. Would need to be things you could criminally convict someone for not just flagging up things they dislike to the law.