Jump to content

John Sissons


Recommended Posts

On 10/02/2021 at 23:04, owlinaus said:

Ex West Ham played for us as a winger, him on one wing and wee Willie Henderson on the other, true wingers who could cross a ball into the penalty area, ......

Remember Blackpoll away, about 1972, when Sissons knocked defender Peter Suddaby off his feet with a belter of a shot that hit the guy's face...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SA Andy said:

He was at the after match drinks party in the Seagulls pub when Wednesday played Hellenic in Cape Town Oct 92. Been living there since 1976 since signed for Cape Town spurs. Keeps fit by cycling 36 miles a day to work & back (or did then). Still had the blonde locks & permanent tan!  

The game was at Greenpoint stadium. Never knew there were so many Wednesdayites in Cape Town back then.

 

 I was also in Seagulls at the invitation of Budgie Byrne. Great party and set of lads. 

 

I seem to remember we then went into the Waterfront and the Oyster bar.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, capetownowl said:

The game was at Greenpoint stadium. Never knew there were so many Wednesdayites in Cape Town back then.

 

 I was also in Seagulls at the invitation of Budgie Byrne. Great party and set of lads. 

 

I seem to remember we then went into the Waterfront and the Oyster bar.

Yes it certainly was a great party with the players in Seagulls bar after the Sunday game (2-1 win, Warhurst double). Also went to the Quay 4 bar at the Waterfront later in the evening.   4 of us flew down from Joburg to Cape Town on the Friday morning and back on Monday, stayed in Melkbosrand where one of our lads had a holiday flat. We then took a coach (mostly Wednesday fans) from Joburg to Pretoria on the Tuesday night to see Wednesday play Mamalodi Sundowns at Loftus Versveld (2-2 draw : Anderson & Jemson scoring) then managed to get the players coach to follow us back to the Posthouse pub in Fourways Joburg North, where we had a reception party laid on for them. 11.30pm before the party started (3 hrs sleep then up for work!). Great long weekend in all, and Wednesday made history becoming the first football team to tour SA since the abolition of aparteid.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/02/2021 at 23:04, owlinaus said:

Ex West Ham played for us as a winger, him on one wing and wee Willie Henderson on the other, true wingers who could cross a ball into the penalty area, ......

 

As a young kid, he presented me with my U12 trophy when in one of the Junior Sunday leagues.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, SA Andy said:

Yes it certainly was a great party with the players in Seagulls bar after the Sunday game (2-1 win, Warhurst double). Also went to the Quay 4 bar at the Waterfront later in the evening.   4 of us flew down from Joburg to Cape Town on the Friday morning and back on Monday, stayed in Melkbosrand where one of our lads had a holiday flat. We then took a coach (mostly Wednesday fans) from Joburg to Pretoria on the Tuesday night to see Wednesday play Mamalodi Sundowns at Loftus Versveld (2-2 draw : Anderson & Jemson scoring) then managed to get the players coach to follow us back to the Posthouse pub in Fourways Joburg North, where we had a reception party laid on for them. 11.30pm before the party started (3 hrs sleep then up for work!). Great long weekend in all, and Wednesday made history becoming the first football team to tour SA since the abolition of aparteid.

 

Ah the Quay 4 ..one of the best bar spots in the World !

 

Scissons was on the wing at my first ever Wednesday game.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/02/2021 at 09:55, Shetland Owl said:

He also had a good shot on him, played No11

True, he was part of the great footballing West Ham side of the 60’s (Moore, Peters, Hurst,) and came to Wednesday at the tail end of his career. He was an excellent ball player but wouldn’t put a tackle in to save his life. He would have done really well in the present day ‘non contact’ format of the game but in the 70’s there were some real hard defenders in football who would kick wingers all over the shop.

He should have scored more goals for Wednesday but it was quite a poor side in those days, not many chances created.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, sternlad said:

True, he was part of the great footballing West Ham side of the 60’s (Moore, Peters, Hurst,) and came to Wednesday at the tail end of his career. He was an excellent ball player but wouldn’t put a tackle in to save his life. He would have done really well in the present day ‘non contact’ format of the game but in the 70’s there were some real hard defenders in football who would kick wingers all over the shop.

He should have scored more goals for Wednesday but it was quite a poor side in those days, not many chances created.

They didn’t kick Tony Coleman all over the shop

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...