'91' - The story of Sheffield Wednesday's 1990/91 season

Brilliant season. Remember sneaking out early from my GCSE maths mock exam early in order to catch the train to Derby away for the 4th round but John Harkes screamer made it well worth while. 

Also wagged school in May (just before my GCSEs) to catch a train to Oldham in order to get tickets on the home end. You had to have some local ID but fortunately my father worked with someone from Oldham so was able to borrow their library card which successfully worked. (No purchase history databases in those days). Fortunately these academic misdemeanours haven't had a negative impact on my educational career but I'm sure none of my students would believe that Sir has ever "wagged it twice". 

Also remember the train back from Oldham was full of Mackems who had been relegated at Maine Road, a real contrast of emotions. 

Mention in dispatches must also be given to my Father who came up with the genius idea of parking at Dollis Hill for the final, worked a treat easy parking and really quite at the station but rammed once on the tube.

I'll always be able to say that I've seen my team win a major cup final with my Dad (and I can't imagine many South Yorkshire Folk can say that), I trust hope that one day my son can say the same. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Probably my favourite season following Wednesday. Some great days out. Obviously the highlight was Wembley, but honourable mentions must go to Chelsea/ Leicester/WBA/ Ipswich and Barnsley away.

Home game highlights were Chelsea/ Barnsley ( league) and Bristol City (

I missed the Hull game due to being on holiday)

Edited by sexpistol
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Sir Says said:

Brilliant season. Remember sneaking out early from my GCSE maths mock exam early in order to catch the train to Derby away for the 4th round but John Harkes screamer made it well worth while. 

Also wagged school in May (just before my GCSEs) to catch a train to Oldham in order to get tickets on the home end. You had to have some local ID but fortunately my father worked with someone from Oldham so was able to borrow their library card which successfully worked. (No purchase history databases in those days). Fortunately these academic misdemeanours haven't had a negative impact on my educational career but I'm sure none of my students would believe that Sir has ever "wagged it twice". 

Also remember the train back from Oldham was full of Mackems who had been relegated at Maine Road, a real contrast of emotions. 

Mention in dispatches must also be given to my Father who came up with the genius idea of parking at Dollis Hill for the final, worked a treat easy parking and really quite at the station but rammed once on the tube.

I'll always be able to say that I've seen my team win a major cup final with my Dad (and I can't imagine many South Yorkshire Folk can say that), I trust hope that one day my son can say the same. 

Let's hope so mate! 👍

Owlstalk Shop

20/21 yrs of age went all over car train then coach the infamous ‘ croftys tours’ had some reight laughs skirmishes and drunken fast days! Think this season slightly eclipsed the seasons after 92/93 only because it just felt like we’d go up and win league cup? Even on way to Wembley to play manure just knew we’d beat them! Those 3 seasons travelled far and wide and just wish my lads could enjoy the same feelings watching Wednesday all over the country knowing we WAS one of the best in the country... sadly gona be a long time if ever at all before those days return? Just glad it was MY time 

• Like 1

For anybody who hasn't seen it or got it, Yorkshire Tv's video in glorious VHS about the build up to the Rumbelows cup final.

Some great action from the early rounds, player interviews, Steve Bruce, Big Ron, WAGS with big hair and shell suits galore 😆.

Also the late John Quinn, Gerry Young and Johnny Fantham together at 2.30.

WEDNESDAY AT WEMBLEY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zni2f-n-Dao

• Like 1