'91' - The story of Sheffield Wednesday's 1990/91 season

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Same - and doesn't matter whether I was even alive or not - all of them are usually fantastic

Same with music biographies for me too

I was in a Wednesday book once...didn't know until I read it..but that was yonks ago when I was a hoolieknobhead..

Much prefer latter days and a drunken slob

🤣

• Haha 1

Guest Bulgaria

I really hope your not the guy who was in the trap next to me at the Swindon away league cup game, ( around the 60th minute) as I would dread to think that my animal like noises emitted whilst pebble dashing the pan after eating a dodgy pie would be chronicled 26;years later.

Good luck with the book.

Just now, Bulgaria said:

I really hope your not the guy who was in the trap next to me at the Swindon away league cup game, ( around the 60th minute) as I would dread to think that my animal like noises emitted whilst pebble dashing the pan after eating a dodgy pie would be chronicled 26;years later.

Good luck with the book.

🤣🤣🤣

I was born two days after the last match of the season at Oldham.. your story is safe.. or it was..

• Haha 1

I'll also be buying. I read about two books a year on kindle.....I always nod off. Be great if it was available as an audiobook, I get through a book a week walking the dogs!!! Although that'll slow down when I eventually get run over........lol

I wonder how John Dyson is getting on with his new sequel to "Our Lowest Ebb" 

• Love 1

Jibbed an Uber from the coach station with the author at Stoke away on Boxing Day last year, so just ordered a copy to pay back my half.

I've felt guilty since - probably my fault we've been so bad on the pitch since that game.

Edited by sammo

8 minutes ago, sammo said:

Jibbed an Uber from the coach station with the author at Stoke away on Boxing Day last year, so just ordered a copy to pay back my half.

I've felt guilty since - probably my fault we've been so bad on the pitch since that game.

Feels a long time ago that, mate.. In fairness you did offer to pay. Think I was full of Christmas cheer.

6 minutes ago, Toadie said:

Feels a long time ago that, mate.. In fairness you did offer to pay. Think I was full of Christmas cheer.

Yep - feels like a completely different world.

Very much looking forward to reading the book and a great topic.

I was born 2 months after this season but the characters in that squad are the ones that I've been brought up to see as heroes.

Their legacy still runs through the club and is what once gave me hope that we'd see a team of that stature and quality again. Not so sure anymore!

• Love 1

Looking forward to reading it. It was a great era for football, back when football still had plenty of characters and we had a really good team to watch full of class players. Not long before the Champions League, Premier League and big money ruined it all, coinciding with our eventual decline, that we've never seemed to recover from. Doubt we'll ever see a Wednesday team as good as that early 90s team ever again. 

• Like 2

On 10/02/2021 at 20:05, @owlstalk said:

I don't really read books as such - but have ordered this one

These 2 years are so important to me and my lads and bro. We sat together incredulous through the relegation and celebrated the wonderful season afterwards, where we saw the mastery of a proper man manager/team building man in Ron.

@ToadieAlex, I hope it's a big seller for you, and I will certainly be buying several of these as presents. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, steelowl said:

These 2 years are so important to me and my lads and bro. We sat together incredulous through the relegation and celebrated the wonderful season afterwards, where we saw the mastery of a proper man manager/team building man in Ron.

@ToadieAlex, I hope it's a big seller for you, and I will certainly be buying several of these as presents. 

When people use the phrase, 'what a time to be alive', this really was a great time to be a Wednesday fan. I was only a young un and was devastated when we got relegated.

The promotion season was the first season that I started going to most home games rather than the odd few and the way we went about it was brilliant. Atkinson saying from the off that the aim was to be champions, no messing about, great start at Ipswich then Hirsty banging 4 in past Hull in the opening home game on a sunny day at Hillsborough.

Rolling over the top flight teams in the cup on the way to winning it, fantastic times. Looking forward to reading the story, especially the behind the scenes stuff.