Jump to content

'91' - The story of Sheffield Wednesday's 1990/91 season


Recommended Posts



Ps if anyone has any other questions about this book drop them in this thread and maybe @Toadie will have time to answer a few of them but the main thing is that everything will be in the book so get ordering ASAP!!

 

 


 


Owlstalk Shop

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Copy ordered. Missed out on this season, and the following seasons, much to my regret. Getting married, setting up home and starting a business. If only you could turn the clock back.

  • Love 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:



Ps if anyone has any other questions about this book drop them in this thread and maybe @Toadie will have time to answer a few of them but the main thing is that everything will be in the book so get ordering ASAP!!

 

 

Yup - more than happy to answer any questions!

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ordered. 
 

remember it like it was yesterday. Car broke down on M1 (Rover SD1 2600) just after J28. 
 

rang the garage up where I’d bought it a couple of weeks earlier.  He turned up within the hour with a 3500 V8 Vanden Plas. Went like shīt off a shovel. 
 


 

 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ANDY said:

Ordered. 
 

remember it like it was yesterday. Car broke down on M1 (Rover SD1 2600) just after J28. 
 

rang the garage up where I’d bought it a couple of weeks earlier.  He turned up within the hour with a 3500 V8 Vanden Plas. Went like shīt off a shovel. 
 


 

 

 


Vanden Plas - not heard that for Years!


 


Owlstalk Shop

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Toadie said:

Yup - more than happy to answer any questions!

Did you get any impression there were any unsung heroes during that season? Somebody the fans wouldn't necessarily know the influence of?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Crackin little interview that!! Looks like it'll be a good read, even to someone like me who tends not to read much.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Did you get any impression there were any unsung heroes during that season? Somebody the fans wouldn't necessarily know the influence of?

 

Definitely. I think most people know the names, but was interesting to hear players talk about the roles of the 'other' backroom staff. Ron was such a big, out-facing icon and I think most people know the role that Richie Barker played, but the fitness coach Roger Spry, physio Alan Smith, reserve coach Frank Barlow and youth team coach Albert Phelan played a huge part behind the scenes - a few of the lads pay particular tribute to Frank.

 

In terms of players, Lawrie Madden is one that sticks out as someone who was influential off the pitch, especially with younger lads. It's also clear that Paul Williams was as important as anyone to the success they had that season. He's an absolute gentleman, a really brilliant interviewee and was incredibly honest about all sorts of things - including a largely unspoken issue he had with one of the other players.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sambo89 said:

Crackin little interview that!! Looks like it'll be a good read, even to someone like me who tends not to read much.


I don't really read books as such - but have ordered this one

  • Love 1

 


Owlstalk Shop

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Toadie said:

 

Definitely. I think most people know the names, but was interesting to hear players talk about the roles of the 'other' backroom staff. Ron was such a big, out-facing icon and I think most people know the role that Richie Barker played, but the fitness coach Roger Spry, physio Alan Smith, reserve coach Frank Barlow and youth team coach Albert Phelan played a huge part behind the scenes - a few of the lads pay particular tribute to Frank.

 

In terms of players, Lawrie Madden is one that sticks out as someone who was influential off the pitch, especially with younger lads. It's also clear that Paul Williams was as important as anyone to the success they had that season. He's an absolute gentleman, a really brilliant interviewee and was incredibly honest about all sorts of things - including a largely unspoken issue he had with one of the other players.

Cheers. Sounds fascinating.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, @owlstalk said:


I don't really read books as such - but have ordered this one

I'll be ordering it tomorrow I think, I'm the same with books, set off with every intention of reading it, get 20 pages in and chalk fizz on it.

 

Recently there's been an Alan Partridge book (Nomad) and Peter Crouch's book, both of which I really enjoyed and found really funny, up to about 20 pages then haven't picked em up since. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sambo89 said:

I'll be ordering it tomorrow I think, I'm the same with books, set off with every intention of reading it, get 20 pages in and chalk fizz on it.

 

Recently there's been an Alan Partridge book (Nomad) and Peter Crouch's book, both of which I really enjoyed and found really funny, up to about 20 pages then haven't picked em up since. 

 

 

That Nomad is great - I've only listened to it on Audiobook though

  • Love 1

 


Owlstalk Shop

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Toadie said:

 

Definitely. I think most people know the names, but was interesting to hear players talk about the roles of the 'other' backroom staff. Ron was such a big, out-facing icon and I think most people know the role that Richie Barker played, but the fitness coach Roger Spry, physio Alan Smith, reserve coach Frank Barlow and youth team coach Albert Phelan played a huge part behind the scenes - a few of the lads pay particular tribute to Frank. In terms of players, Lawrie Madden is one that sticks out as someone who was influential off the pitch, especially with younger lads. It's also clear that Paul Williams was as important as anyone to the success they had that season. He's an absolute gentleman, a really brilliant interviewee and was incredibly honest about all sorts of things - including a largely unspoken issue he had with one of the other players.

CLICKBAIT

 

🧐

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

 

 

That Nomad is great - I've only listened to it on Audiobook though

P1ssed misen at what I read, but if I don't pick it up for a couple of nights then I dont bother again. Was it Partridge reading it? Like he did in the autobiography? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sambo89 said:

P1ssed misen at what I read, but if I don't pick it up for a couple of nights then I dont bother again. Was it Partridge reading it? Like he did in the autobiography? 

Yeah

 

lol

 

If you search for it it's all on Youtube - all the Alan Partridge audiobooks!


 


Owlstalk Shop

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, @owlstalk said:

 

Too right - quite right too!


He's not going to publish the whole book in a post on here mate

 

lol

 

What a tease!!

 

I bet he interviewed 26 people in total, but number 6 will shock you!

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...