Jump to content

Managerial Inexperience


Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, striker said:

It's a double edged sword, but while it's going well, so be it. 

 

I like Thompson, seems to have the respect of players and in a sense stumbled on the siege mentality we all talked about at the beginning of the season by accident, his extended stint forcing the players to step up and accept more responsibility. There is now no buffer and they are seem  more accountable.

 

It's a no lose situation in a sense for Thompson, he can afford to be more adventurous in the knowledge if it doesn't go well he can go back to the U23's.

 

It would be ironic, if those 10 games under the supposedly experienced Pulis defined our season.

 

 

 

Agreed, Thompson should keep the job until the end of the season. Looks like the players are trying for him.

 

Pulis? I'd be surprised if any club would want him (salary/experience wise)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, sage owl said:

He may though have an in depth knowledge of other club’s u 23’s and snatch a couple of gems . As Turner did with Whelan and Brunt .

Good point, I wonder if we went after Pickering for that reason as we play Crewe regularly at U/23 & Academy level.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The important thing is that we're in the top six for form and top six for clean sheets...a more attacking style with a fully fit squad will see us move up the table. We're going to lose some but there's no reason why we can't string two or three wins together. No need to give it to Thompson just carry on...if it ain't broke...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thompson is a coach. He talks about improving players and that ultimately is what we need. Someone who can take a player and improve them. Look at Shaw and Urgohide, they look more first team ready now than they ever looked under Monk and Pulis. I don’t see us changing things anytime soon. The objective is staying up. When our fate is decided then will be the time to re-evaluate things.

Link to post
Share on other sites

He seems like a likeable chap to play for, and I think that is a big thing. Doesn't barrack the players (Pulis) or be obtuse with them (Monk), seems to give them confidence and let them go out there and give their all. Bannan, Reach, Harris all look like their old selves again after being a shell of themselves the first half of season, that must be down to the manager change.

 

He's impressed me with his tactics overall so far, something I wasn't sure about. The next question would be his eye for transfer signings but I'd hope we have other staff to give him a lot of help in that area. Also he's not exactly a spring chicken to be starting out, but his health seems good so no reason why he couldn't carry on here for a few years. If he keeps us up this season, he deserves the gig full-time if he wants it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's easy to love the manager after a win, he came in for a lot of criticism after the Millwall game. The truth is we will not know if he is a good manager or a bad one in the short term. Look back after a year and we will have a better idea.

 

So far, so good is all we can say at present.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting comments stating that defensive managers don’t do well at Hillsborough! Catterick, Buckingham & Atkinson believed in letting the opposition worry about you & achieved success. Thompson has expanded attacking horizons(not difficult) & the players are responding. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:


I'm 100% totally sick of the 'experienced' managers who come in with their antiquated 'same old same old' techniques and tactics


(usually defending for 90 minutes and trying to get a goal on the counter/break)


Football is supposed to be enjoyed and when players enjoy it they tend to win

Nobody grows up playing football to try and shut down the opposition and defend for 90 minutes as a team


I have always thought that those people who say you can't relentlessly attack and go for it can't win games or get promoted are just wrong


I am a big subscriber to relentless attacking in the exact way we did last night (win the ball, pass to wingers, early cross, GOAL) is the way forward and also that you should go out to do that and let the opponent worry about you rather than the other way round

All these experienced managers that sit all week planning how to nullify the opponents by defending - they do my head in

 

PLUS

It never works at Sheffield Wednesday


Defensive managers don't succeed - they fail and get sacked

Attacking managers who start off attacking and then bottle it and start playing defensively don't succeed here - they fail and get sacked when they start going defensive


The only manager who will ever succeed at Sheffield Wednesday is one that manages and plays with zero fear and all out attack

 

I just can't see why chairmen fail to see this, and why they plump for a manager who will treat football like chess


We saw last night that you attack and you win

Agree. Especially as in this division you can often get away with a crap defence.

 

We need wins.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no problem with Thompson being the caretaker until end of the season but not any longer.
The question I would ask him if he wanted it longer is while has he been a Youth Team Coach at Wednesday for 10 year shas he applied for other managerial jobs. If not why not? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, @owlstalk said:


I'm 100% totally sick of the 'experienced' managers who come in with their antiquated 'same old same old' techniques and tactics


(usually defending for 90 minutes and trying to get a goal on the counter/break)


Football is supposed to be enjoyed and when players enjoy it they tend to win

Nobody grows up playing football to try and shut down the opposition and defend for 90 minutes as a team


I have always thought that those people who say you can't relentlessly attack and go for it can't win games or get promoted are just wrong


I am a big subscriber to relentless attacking in the exact way we did last night (win the ball, pass to wingers, early cross, GOAL) is the way forward and also that you should go out to do that and let the opponent worry about you rather than the other way round

All these experienced managers that sit all week planning how to nullify the opponents by defending - they do my head in

 

PLUS

It never works at Sheffield Wednesday


Defensive managers don't succeed - they fail and get sacked

Attacking managers who start off attacking and then bottle it and start playing defensively don't succeed here - they fail and get sacked when they start going defensive


The only manager who will ever succeed at Sheffield Wednesday is one that manages and plays with zero fear and all out attack

 

I just can't see why chairmen fail to see this, and why they plump for a manager who will treat football like chess


We saw last night that you attack and you win

 

A perfect case for bringing back Carlos

Link to post
Share on other sites

Way I'm looking at it is...NT has had the same "Ingredients" to work with that Monk and Pulis had.

I don't give a flyer about "Experience", it seems can lead to the "manager" being that important that the decisions he makes hardly matter because of a past track record.

Ive watched the highlights from last nights game, and we played some lovely football, that move leading up to the Paterson shot was sublime.

If it was "Masterchef", for instance....NT's dishes are easier to swallow, same ingredients, but used properly

Link to post
Share on other sites

In my time the three outstanding managers have been Catterick, Wilkinson and Big Ron. All played attacking football  in a similar way. A mixture of skill and power in the centre of midfield, a big striker who was a bit more than just a target man and skillfull wide players adept at crossing the ball. It may not be for the purists but all three got us promoted to the top level. It might not succeed in the top division for long and it might be classed as outdated football but it works at this level.
 

What better to watch than wave after wave of attacks kicking towards a raucous Kop against tiring defenders. Even Carlos managed it for a season but inexplicably changed style .

Lets not kid ourselves though it takes high levels of fitness to consistently play that way. We don’t have that in the current squad and remember last night we were playing the very worst team in the Championship. Next up is Swansea who are going well.
 

Can we repeat that type of performance against better opposition? I’me a bit more optimistic about home games now so I’ll be forking out a tenner to see.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

There have to be winner's & loser's in any contest.

If you play all out attack and lose every week then is that Good?, or will the manager/Coach be sacked?.

There is only one way to play football, and that is the way you, as a coach, can get win's.

Look at the History of the game and you will notice that MOST of the successful team's have been built around a good defence.

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

There have to be winner's & loser's in any contest.

If you play all out attack and lose every week then is that Good?, or will the manager/Coach be sacked?.

There is only one way to play football, and that is the way you, as a coach, can get win's.

Look at the History of the game and you will notice that MOST of the successful team's have been built around a good defence.

Bielsa's view is the best.  He plays the same home and away, and sometimes he wins, sometimes not, but he'll always give it a go, and it's entertaining.  Winners, losers, teams!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Many strong arguments here for the benefits of an inexperienced manager here.

 

My only nagging doubt is that I cannot recall many caretaker managers in the English game who have gone on to be successful.

 

It often starts well but tails off.

 

Hopefully NT can be an exception.

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Owls Loyal said:

My only nagging doubt is that I cannot recall many caretaker managers in the English game who have gone on to be successful.

I'm only worried about this season...whatever happens after that can take care of itself. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...