Managerial Inexperience

Guest domSWFC

Guest domSWFC

Is inexperience necessarily a bad thing? We've had vastly experienced managers over the years, most recently Pulis who was an absolute disaster. Picking a dinosaur might bring "experience" but have we've seen it also brings in stubbornness. An unwillingness to change from their ways even when they are clearly not working. Not using the team to it's best potential, because in using it, it wouldn't be their way. 

Judging from Thompsons first stint of games, do you think he's capable of doing the job?

He's not experienced at this level, but he knows the team and they seem to want to play for him. He hasn't always got it right, but he's already shown he's willing to adapt and learn how to get the best out of the team at his disposal. He's getting results, and our form is plenty good enough to keep us in this division. Right now we seem to have a good balance, and a team working hard in both boxes. We might not have outstanding quality all over the pitch, but hard work and organisation beats lazy talent.  

We could bring in someone with a better CV, but on paper Pulis is far superior to Thompson. If we bring in another manager who has their way, and needs their type of players we are gonna need an overhaul which we really aren't in a position to make. 

Any full time appointment is a risk, but is Thompson really the biggest risk? 

The quality of coaching has really increased over the past few years and we’ve seen some fantastic attacking and successful footballing teams emerge with young coaches.  Experience isn’t necessarily a bad thing but if it comes with a closed mind or fear of open football then it won’t work any more, and it certainly won’t work with us.  

Guest domSWFC
1 minute ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Thompson has managed the U’23s for years. He has plenty of experience in management.

He’s just doing it now with the first team. Hardly any different without any crowds really, just managing better and more experienced players.

I think with the u23's your usually preparing the youngsters for the first team manager. So a lot of the time it's their tactics. He's now in charge for himself, doing it on his own against managers who've been doing it for years. And so far, he's holding more than his own. 

1 minute ago, domSWFC said:

I think with the u23's your usually preparing the youngsters for the first team manager. So a lot of the time it's their tactics. He's now in charge for himself, doing it on his own against managers who've been doing it for years. And so far, he's holding more than his own. 

Yeah suppose. Guess what I’m trying to say is he has experience of managing players and sending them out to try and win games. Not like he’s a young coach been thrown into the deep end. He’s been in and around it for years now.

He’s doing a good job Thompson. If he keeps us up he’s an absolute legend in my eyes. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

No manager has any managerial experience when they start out. 

That's why they tend to start out lower down the pyramid, unless your called Frank Lampard of course, Thompson's age coupled with the lack of clubs on his managerial cv might possibly go against him, not sure.

23 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I'm 100% totally sick of the 'experienced' managers who come in with their antiquated 'same old same old' techniques and tactics

(usually defending for 90 minutes and trying to get a goal on the counter/break)

Football is supposed to be enjoyed and when players enjoy it they tend to win

I have always thought that those people who say you can't relentlessly attack and go for it can't win games or get promoted

I am a big subscriber to relentless attacking in the exact way we did last night (win the ball, pass to wingers, early cross, GOAL) is the way forward and also that you should go out to do that and let the opponent worry about you rather than the other way round

All these experienced managers that sit all week planning how to nullify the opponents by defending - they do my head in

PLUS

It never works at Sheffield Wednesday

Defensive managers don't succeed - they fail and get sacked

Attacking managers who start off attacking and then bottle it and start playing defensively don't succeed here - they fail and get sacked when they start going defensive

The only manager who will ever succeed at Sheffield Wednesday is one that manages and plays with zero fear and all out attack

I just can't see why chairmen fail to see this, and why they plump for a manager who will treat football like chess

We saw last night that you attack and you win

Fortune favours the brave - ATTACK!!!!!!!

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, domSWFC said:

Is inexperience necessarily a bad thing? We've had vastly experienced managers over the years, most recently Pulis who was an absolute disaster. Picking a dinosaur might bring "experience" but have we've seen it also brings in stubbornness. An unwillingness to change from their ways even when they are clearly not working. Not using the team to it's best potential, because in using it, it wouldn't be their way. 

Judging from Thompsons first stint of games, do you think he's capable of doing the job?

He's not experienced at this level, but he knows the team and they seem to want to play for him. He hasn't always got it right, but he's already shown he's willing to adapt and learn how to get the best out of the team at his disposal. He's getting results, and our form is plenty good enough to keep us in this division. Right now we seem to have a good balance, and a team working hard in both boxes. We might not have outstanding quality all over the pitch, but hard work and organisation beats lazy talent.  

We could bring in someone with a better CV, but on paper Pulis is far superior to Thompson. If we bring in another manager who has their way, and needs their type of players we are gonna need an overhaul which we really aren't in a position to make. 

Any full time appointment is a risk, but is Thompson really the biggest risk? 

2 biggest alleged risks:

(1) DC staying

(2) DC not getting the right buyer in if he sells(is there such a thing any more?)

Anything else to me is not in the same league of alleged 'inexperience'

Suppose experience is important for unforeseen issues, or dealing with major challenges, rifts, bad spells etc. It can help if you’ve seen, dealt with and learned from similar issues before. 

But even having that experience is no guarantee that will be better, as with Pulis. 

Gotta learn and gain that experience from somewhere in the first place! 

42 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I'm 100% totally sick of the 'experienced' managers who come in with their antiquated 'same old same old' techniques and tactics

(usually defending for 90 minutes and trying to get a goal on the counter/break)

I have always thought that those people who say you can't relentlessly attack and go for it can't win games or get promoted

I am a big subscriber to relentless attacking in the exact way we did last night (win the ball, pass to wingers, early cross, GOAL) is the way forward and also that you should go out to do that and let the opponent worry about you rather than the other way round

All these experienced managers that sit all week planning how to nullify the opponents by defending - they do my head in

PLUS

Attacking managers who start off attacking and then bottle it and start playing defensively don't succeed here - they fail and get sacked when they start going defensive

The only manager who will ever succeed at Sheffield Wednesday is one that manages and plays with zero fear and all out attack

I just can't see why chairmen fail to see this, and why they plump for a manager who will treat football like chess

Agree with 95% of this although one poster has pointed out that Thompson has only had 2 games where our attempts has been more than the oppositions. I think there is a middle ground and you have to work with the players in front of you.  Some don't have the fitness to attack for 90 minutes or the ability to win the ball back and clearly if an opposing team has certain strengths then its sensible to plan against them.  However, play the game on the front foot and coach a team to "win the ball, pass to wingers, early cross" has to be a good philosophy to adopt.  If we are doing so, then Reach and Harris, not Palmer and Penney need to play the majority of games as wing backs and be encouraged to get crosses in, playing with 2 up front (Paterson and Rhodes currently have the shirt and probably suit this style best).  it was certainly one of the things I enjoyed watching last night, the attempts to get balls into the box and Shaw probably suits such a system too.  If we change to 4-4-2 then its a different proposition, but with the squad we have I think the system we adopted last night works best.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, onlyonedavidhirst said:

Agree with 95% of this although one poster has pointed out that Thompson has only had 2 games where our attempts has been more than the oppositions. I think there is a middle ground and you have to work with the players in front of you.  Some don't have the fitness to attack for 90 minutes or the ability to win the ball back and clearly if an opposing team has certain strengths then its sensible to plan against them.  However, play the game on the front foot and coach a team to "win the ball, pass to wingers, early cross" has to be a good philosophy to adopt.  If we are doing so, then Reach and Harris, not Palmer and Penney need to play the majority of games as wing backs and be encouraged to get crosses in, playing with 2 up front (Paterson and Rhodes currently have the shirt and probably suit this style best).  it was certainly one of the things I enjoyed watching last night, the attempts to get balls into the box and Shaw probably suits such a system too.  If we change to 4-4-2 then its a different proposition, but with the squad we have I think the system we adopted last night works best.  

Agreed!
I loved last night's game

It was pure 80's style

I was expecting Lee Chapman to storm into the box and smash home a diving header

lol

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

A refreshing change of manager. We have generally gone for control freak managers who play a restrictive game and this applies to many of those we are a linked with as well.

The tactics when playing other teams have been changed to exploit weaknesses and negate strengths in opposition. On paper we are playing similar formation but on pitch their is different philosophy which has been to try and hurt opposition when possible. The list of games we had looked tricky but we have come through it well. 

He knows squad and their strengths and he knows young players at club as well. They all are playing for him and seems good mood in camp. Tiredness looks greatest issue against Millwall it was clear that several of team ran out of energy after 30 minutes and not sure we have strength in depth to cover for this.

Where he is unproven is identifying players to bring in to improve squad. Our record in this area has been poor and you have to wonder if has influence for us to look wider afield than limited area we normally scout.

55 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Nobody grows up playing football to try and shut down the opposition and defend for 90 minutes as a team

I have always thought that those people who say you can't relentlessly attack and go for it can't win games or get promoted are just wrong

PLUS

And couple this with the ability to be on a level with the players. 

Don't close down your leaders. Be bigger than that, utilise the personal / emotional strengths of your team.

You have to let that creative and fun edge out in a person. Not shut it down with drills and rules. 

I think some managers get lost. They give way to fear. And get in their own heads about how it should happen. 

Reality of life isn't like that. You have to let the humaness breathe a bit.

Perhaps Neil Thompson leans towards this? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Quist said:

Where he is unproven is identifying players to bring in to improve squad. Our record in this area has been poor and you have to wonder if has influence for us to look wider afield than limited area we normally scout.

He may though have an in depth knowledge of other club’s u 23’s and snatch a couple of gems . As Turner did with Whelan and Brunt .

• Like 1

It's a double edged sword, but while it's going well, so be it. 

I like Thompson, seems to have the respect of players and in a sense stumbled on the siege mentality we all talked about at the beginning of the season by accident, his extended stint forcing the players to step up and accept more responsibility. There is now no buffer and they are seem  more accountable.

It's a no lose situation in a sense for Thompson, he can afford to be more adventurous in the knowledge if it doesn't go well he can go back to the U23's.

It would be ironic, if those 10 games under the supposedly experienced Pulis defined our season.