Contracts - Positive reality

The financial landscape has changed massively in the past year thats for sure. If there is even an outside chance that this could be to our benefit I’d be delighted. I expect Reach to go as he is a good age for another club to invest in. Lees, Rhodes, Bannan are all 30+. They will be taking a pay cut I guess stay or go. I’d rather they stay if the terms are right but if they don’t then I don’t wish them any ill. 
As for the younger players that is a balls up and for your homegrown young players to drift away and be of benefit to other clubs is an embarrassment. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SolihullOwl79 said:

The point I was making is that given our financial position, it's a good job they're out of contract and not on our books at the current rates for another season. 

How many of our squad are going to be wanted by teams on parachute payments. Most of them are players that will help a relegation candidate team escape the drop, not many will aid a promotion push which is what the parachute teams will be after. 

Yes agreed again, but many teams that drop down, sell a player or two, like premiership quality centre halves, defenders, goalkeepers and wingers, only to replace them with good championship quality replacements in the hope that they will help them to get promoted. Bannan, Lees, Reach and Westwood may not be able to play every game for a team hoping to go straight back up, but they would provide cheap enough alternatives to either allow teams to use their parachute payments wisely, or to allow one of the other teams that decide to gamble on going up, to take a punt on them. Quite a few clubs have taken on loan players that are probably commanding similar wages and I should imagine that even loan players like Izzy Brown are not being paid a wage that is much lower than what Bannan, Lees, Reach and Westwood earn either, with these four having a known and proven pedigree at this level, which Izzy Brown and similar loan players do not have.

Like you said originally, if the offers made are not too ridiculous you would expect the players to stay if they like it here and their families are settled. Rhodes must take a big cut if we did decide to keep him, JVA also looks as though he is going, so I do not think that any of the others will be on ridiculously high wages, so only contract lengths would come into play then, which could be a breaking point for some, but if there is a mutual will to get a deal done, hopefully we will all benefit.

The main criteria for me this summer is knowing who we need to keep and who we need to replace right now and then make plans for getting all the contracts signed early. This puts the club in the driving seat and allows the club to dictate how much higher they are prepared to go to keep players and not the other way around when players have the club over a barrel as the summer ticks away and they wait to see whether better deals are available.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I expect our stronger players will attract better offers from teams with parachute payments, as we saw when we failed to retain Fletcher and Fox last summer. Whether we're able to tempt any to stay this time around remains to be seen.

The bigger picture of course is that we potentially stand to lose the likes of Reach, Bannan, Lees etc. for nothing rather than selling them when their values were high and reinvesting that money into the squad.

I'm not sure that's necessarily a 'good thing'.

The biggest losses were Fletcher and Nuhiu. Would have been mid table at least with those two. 

The salary sport website is interesting. Not sure how accurate it is, but they say...

Sources - Press releases, news & articles, online encyclopedias & databases, industry experts & insiders. We find the information so you don't have to!

The teams total wage bill is:

£19,259,500 per year

£370,375 per week

Active Squad:

The teams total wage bill is:
£19,259,500 per year
£370,375 per week
Active Squad:
Player Name     Weekly Wage    Yearly Salary    Age    Position    Nationality
Jordan Rhodes        £35,000    £1,820,000    30    ST (C)    Scotland
Keiren Westwood    £30,000    £1,560,000    35    GK    Ireland
Barry Bannan           £27,000    £1,404,000    30    DM, M (LC)    Scotland
Izzy Brown                £26,000    £1,352,000    23    M (RL), AM (RLC), ST (C)    England
Adam Reach             £23,000    £1,196,000    27    WB (L), M/AM (RLC)    England
Tom Lees                  £22,000    £1,144,000    29    D (C)    England
Joost van Aken        £20,000    £1,040,000    26    D (LC)    Holland
Aden Flint                     £18,000    £936,000    31    D (C)    England
Jack Marriott               £18,000    £936,000    25    ST (C)    England
Callum Paterson         £17,000    £884,000    25    AM (C), ST (C)    Scotland
Massimo Luongo        £14,000    £728,000    27    DM, M/AM (C)    Australia
Julian Börner               £12,000    £624,000    29    D (C)    Germany
Joey Pelupessy           £12,000    £624,000    27    D (C), DM, M (C)    Holland
Liam Palmer                £12,000    £624,000    28    D (RLC), WB (R)    Scotland
Kadeem Harris            £10,000    £520,000    27    WB/M/AM (RL)    England
Cameron Dawson         £9,400    £488,800    25    GK    England
Dominic Iorfa                 £8,400    £436,800    25    D (RC), WB (R)    England
Chey Dunkley                 £8,400    £436,800    28    D (C)    England
Josh Windass                £8,100    £421,200    26    AM (RLC), ST (C)    England
Elias Kachunga              £6,300    £327,600    28    M/AM (R), ST (C)    Germany
Fisayo Dele-Bashiru      £5,300    £275,600    19    M (C)    England
Joe Wildsmith                £5,100    £265,200    24    GK    England
Moses Odubajo             £4,900    £254,800    26    D/WB/M (R)    Nigeria
Matt Penney                   £3,900    £202,800    22    D/WB/M (L)    England
Alex Hunt                             £900    £46,800    20    M (C)    England
Ciaran Brennan                   £830    £43,160    20    D (RC)    Ireland
Korede Adedoyin                £800    £41,600    19    AM (RL), ST (C)    Nigeria
Ben Hughes                         £740    £38,480    20    D (R), M (RC)    England
Osaze Urhoghide                £710    £36,920    20    D (RC)    England
Charles Hagan                    £530    £27,560    18    AM (R), ST (C)    England
Ryan Galvin                          £530    £27,560    19    D (L)    England
Conor Grant                         £530    £27,560    19    M (LC), AM (C)    Ireland
Charlie Reaney                    £530    £27,560    18    D (C)    England
Declan Thompson              £520    £27,040    18    D (RC), WB (R)    England
Isaac Rice                            £470    £24,440    19    D (C)    England
Josh Dawodu                      £460    £23,920    19    D (R)    England
Joshua Render                    £460    £23,920    19    GK    England
Luke Cox                               £440    £22,880    18    D (C)    England
Liam Shaw                           £440    £22,880    19    M (C)    England
Liam Waldock                      £440    £22,880    19    DM, M/AM (C)    England
Luke Jackson                      £440    £22,880    18    GK    England
Lewis Farmer                       £440    £22,880    18    M/AM (C)    England
Filimon Asfha                         £145    £7,540    16    D (C), DM, M (C)    England
Alex Bonnington                     £145    £7,540    17    ST (C)    England
Leojo Davidson                       £145    £7,540    16    D/WB/M (R)    England                                
Caelen Kilheeney                    £145    £7,540    16    DM, M (C)    England
Fuad Sesay                              £145    £7,540    16    D/WB (L)    England
Corey Glaves                            £145    £7,540    17    D (C), DM, M (C)    England
Basile Zottos                            £145    £7,540    17    AM (RLC), ST (C)    Belgium
Luke Hall                                   £145    £7,540    17    AM (C), ST (C)    England
Paulo Aguas                             £145    £7,540    17    M (RLC)    England
Luke Yates                                £145    £7,540    17    D (LC)    England
Charlie Curtis                           £145    £7,540    17    D (R)    England
Will Trueman                            £145    £7,540    17    M/AM (C)    England
Alex Hare                                  £145    £7,540    17    GK    England
Jenson Whitham                     £145    £7,540    16    WB/M (R)    England
Danny Wassell                          £145    £7,540    16    D (C)    Wales
Josh Ashman                           £145    £7,540    16    D (C)    England
Jay Glover                                  £145    £7,540    17    M/AM (C)    England

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

Yes agreed again, but many teams that drop down, sell a player or two, like premiership quality centre halves, defenders, goalkeepers and wingers, only to replace them with good championship quality replacements in the hope that they will help them to get promoted. Bannan, Lees, Reach and Westwood may not be able to play every game for a team hoping to go straight back up, but they would provide cheap enough alternatives to either allow teams to use their parachute payments wisely, or to allow one of the other teams that decide to gamble on going up, to take a punt on them. Quite a few clubs have taken on loan players that are probably commanding similar wages and I should imagine that even loan players like Izzy Brown are not being paid a wage that is much lower than what Bannan, Lees, Reach and Westwood earn either, with these four having a known and proven pedigree at this level, which Izzy Brown and similar loan players do not have.

Like you said originally, if the offers made are not too ridiculous you would expect the players to stay if they like it here and their families are settled. Rhodes must take a big cut if we did decide to keep him, JVA also looks as though he is going, so I do not think that any of the others will be on ridiculously high wages, so only contract lengths would come into play then, which could be a breaking point for some, but if there is a mutual will to get a deal done, hopefully we will all benefit.

The main criteria for me this summer is knowing who we need to keep and who we need to replace right now and then make plans for getting all the contracts signed early. This puts the club in the driving seat and allows the club to dictate how much higher they are prepared to go to keep players and not the other way around when players have the club over a barrel as the summer ticks away and they wait to see whether better deals are available.

The thing with loan players is that the club receiving the player don't always pay the wages. It's sometimes advantageous to the club loaning out to pay the wages on condition the player plays x amount of games. It's a way for them to expose a young player to competitive football to strengthen and develop them ready to fight for a place in their own squad. 

3 hours ago, SolihullOwl79 said:

It's actually a good thing that so many of the squad are coming to the end of their contract's when the season ends. 

It means we're not lumbered with high wages Regardless of staying up / going down. 

No clubs are in a position to offer high wages anymore because of the loss of income across the board. 

Don't be surprised if a lot of those with no contracts after the summer end up signing on for another season on reduced terms. It's not like other clubs are going to be able to offer much more than we can. Some of them will opt to stay due to settling in the area with their families etc. There will probably be little difference in what other teams can offer, thus not justifying the upheaval of a move. 

Dont want them,they represent failure....sign again?= more of the same

49 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Good post Dutch nd here’s the thing, there’s little evidence that the club plans anything. Good or bad we seem to stumble into situations and react when we get there. Often the reaction comes too late. 

You are exactly right there is no forward planning at the club. It’s a one season process without there even being a plan in place for that season. We want playoffs but there’s no conclusion on style management type players I just get playoffs. 

The worry is I don’t see this changing, Chansiri just does not learn. Lost Hirst and Clare 3 years ago and we’re having same issues now. 

• Like 1

Dominic Iorfa                 £8,400    £436,800    25    D (RC), WB (R)    England

Josh Windass                £8,100    £421,200    26    AM (RLC), ST (C)    England
Fisayo Dele-Bashiru      £5,300    £275,600    19    M (C)    England

I'd be fuming if this was true and i was Windass/Iorfa 😂

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SolihullOwl79 said:

The thing with loan players is that the club receiving the player don't always pay the wages. It's sometimes advantageous to the club loaning out to pay the wages on condition the player plays x amount of games. It's a way for them to expose a young player to competitive football to strengthen and develop them ready to fight for a place in their own squad. 

I tell you what though, if the list of wages that I posted is anything like accurate, you can see why some young players are content to stay playing semi-competitive football in the U23s and U18s rather than go out on loan and play full contact, competitive football against fully grown men at a lower league club. 

I knew a couple of young members of Jack Charlton's team back in the late 70's and even though they were then just on the fringe, they were earning very good money and a couple of them did so all their lives without ever being top players. My friend's son has played for a league two team and now plays for a non league club full time and still earns a decent wage. The kind of drive, skill and fitness that players need to take them up to a decent level is a rare thing and a few nasty knocks, or twists can easily mess everything up for you. Anybody on here that has ever played against any of the professional players, even the ones that do not seem to be that fast, or high in stamina, will know that they are still extremely fit, which you would expect from doing it all their lives, but the players who play at the top end of the game, especially those that do it consistently over four, or five seasons or more, are remarkable really. Although, (when they are playing) I enjoy seeing my son's team play at U14 level, just as much, because they are not yet getting too cynical and are not scared to show off a bit and try things out. Sometimes when they are all on the same wavelength it is great to see the fast flowing football that they produce.

• Love 2

1 hour ago, SolihullOwl79 said:

It's not a good thing that we didn't sell when stock was high. I'm not saying it was. 

I'm saying given the current financial situation at our club and in general, it's a good job the contracts are up in a lot of cases. 

Doubtful any of our squad will be chased by clubs on parachute payments, they'll want better players than we have. 

I could certainly see Bannan and Reach being snapped up by top-half teams, if not necessarily those with parachute payments. It's only four months since we reportedly turned down an offer for Bannan from Brentford. If they're still a Championship team in the summer they may well come back in for him.

Uroghide is the one that I'm bothered about to be honest. He looks a good prospect to me. Seems to be getting better each game and has plenty of pace which can help him get out of trouble if needs be. Clubs higher up will like those attributes. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Hornsby said:

It'd be even better if we could afford top young kids, like Crewe's former left back.

Yes you would imagine that our coaches and young players have played against enough good quality players like Harry Pickering to be able to spot them years before they hit the first team wouldn't you? I get the feeling that we never actually showed any real interest in him at all, other than press speculation. As our club's head of communication does nothing regarding communicating with the fans, maybe he helps to bring some of the silly rumours into the press. Blackburn had this deal practically signed and sealed before we were rumoured to be showing an interest and once they had, any interest from us would be incidental. We seem to have advisors that favour older, injured players, that are already on their books rather than any emerging talent, unless they can take ours and sell them to the highest bidder. Hopefully we are looking at signing some quality left back in the summer (🙄), but looking at Pickering and the way he takes free kicks, crosses and scores in open play, as well as his tackling and other defensive play, he really could be something a bit special. Next time maybe.

22 minutes ago, markg said:

Uroghide is the one that I'm bothered about to be honest. He looks a good prospect to me. Seems to be getting better each game and has plenty of pace which can help him get out of trouble if needs be. Clubs higher up will like those attributes. 

Yes with a shortage of good quality centre halves we really do need to sign him up quickly, but again along with all the other players that we may want to keep, we only get to realise this when he is in his final year. The club has absolutely no idea when it comes to players contracts, new players coming in, or existing players that are still wanted.

NEW

Urhughide. Hutch.  Dunkley

Palmer.                                    Penney

Shaw.  NEW.  Luongo. 

Patterson.  New. 

Subs

Wildsmith

Galvin

Brennan

Hunt

Dele-Bisharu

Windass

Adedoyin

Maybe something like this next season. Just need a solid keeper, a monster in midfield and a forward with a bit of pace (two probably) for the first team. Think we need maybe 3 more experienced heads for the bench.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Yellowbelly said:

NEW

Urhughide. Hutch.  Dunkley

Palmer.                                    Penney

Shaw.  NEW.  Luongo. 

Patterson.  New. 

Subs

Wildsmith

Galvin

Brennan

Hunt

Dele-Bisharu

Windass

Adedoyin

Maybe something like this next season. Just need a solid keeper, a monster in midfield and a forward with a bit of pace (two probably) for the first team. Think we need maybe 3 more experienced heads for the bench.

Would be a decent enough league  1 starting 11 but leaves a lot of work to do on the squad still I reckon. Plus i wouldn't trust Luongo to be a reliable starter.