Is Thompson up to the job..

1 minute ago, daveyboy66 said:

Don't hedge ALL your bets 🤣 FWIW I think we will lose games but will string two or three results together after a loss which will get us out of the bottom three 

You quoted the wrong part of what I said to be honest.

My point was that I said way beyond the curve to give the job to the incumbents and not worry with a manager right now because it would not work out......I said this right at the start of Thompson taking over and I was trying to get across my point that I understood this right at the beginning but was shot down. 

All up in the air... If we get relegated I doubt he will stay. 

If he keeps us up, it will be by the skin of our teeth, by which time we could have been sold and we all know what happens every time a club is sold. 

Even if we aren’t sold, I just can’t see him staying. 

I personally think he’s up to the job, but doubt he will get appointed permanently. 

54 minutes ago, 0114 said:

Just hope the club clarify Thompson’s position and name him manager until the end of the season rather than just leave him as a caretaker.

I'm still in preference of If it isn't broken don't fix it. 

At the moment the pressure and expectation on Thompson is low, he loses a few we act quickly to get an established man into the breach and he can just g back to his normal role. 

Or if we get relagated every one will just blame Dc for not appointing a new manager it's far easier for him to just get on with it. 

We say right Thompson IS IN CHARGE to the end of the season or make things permanent now then the pressure immediately ramps right up on him to keep us and lands on his shoulders if it all goes pear shaped. 

16 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

If DC needed a pointer to never listen to his advisor again, look no further

Exactly.

He should be looking at his ‘advisor’ after Pulis got 1 win in 10 - possibly the worst appointment in the last 20 years that could’ve cost us dearly had my not pulled the trigger.

It's not obvious we need to change anything right now. Is there actually an advantage to doing so? Folk will argue that it provides certainty all around, but, again, it's not obvious that the ‘lack’ of certainty right now is a problem.

Thompson's points yield has been beyond what anyone would've expected. He really has done a fantastic job in that regard. And without us significantly boosting our firepower either, it's all the more impressive. I honestly thought that if we didn't buy at least two strikers, we'd not stand much chance, and yet here we are scoring goals through Rhodes and Paterson!

The defeats to Coventry and Millwall were worrying, but on the other hand, we immediately bounced back each time, so he certainly has something about him as a personality in the dressing room, you'd think.

Longer term, I'm not sure. But that's alright because whilst ever we not changing anything we can just take each game at a time. It seems to be working pretty well right now.

Just now, catdog1121 said:

We have some really tough games coming up, would be great to at least stay in the fight over the next 4 games.

They're all tough in the Championship if you don't turn up and they're all winnable if you do. Even Norwich were lucky to beat us earlier in the season at their place. 

10 minutes ago, catdog1121 said:

We have some really tough games coming up, would be great to at least stay in the fight over the next 4 games.

In a way I'd rather play the better footballing sides in the division rather than the scrappers like Millwall and Coventry, We haven't disgraced ourselves against any of the top teams this season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 0114 said:

Just hope the club clarify Thompson’s position and name him manager until the end of the season rather than just leave him as a caretaker.

Why?...that adds pressure.

When ya best mate gets to be made foreman..he turns into a reyt tw@t.

7 hours ago, torryowl said:

if we stay up if those two play why is it a gamble to play them ......on that basis its more of a gamble to leave them out as it must weaken the team . 

Fitness. It’s a very long time since they have played a lot of games consecutively and the current schedule is as intense as it’s ever been but you knew that, didn’t you? 🙄

Thompson should have been appointed before the Millwall game or at least told he's got till the end of the season. Doubts were raised by the Coventry and Millwall defeats, understandably but in the face of everything thrown at us by DC, his advisers and previous managers.

Thompson and his staff have got the squad fighting and getting results, and he's been able to bounce back from adversity, something Bullen couldn't seem to manage despite decent spells.

I think it's different to when Bullen was caretaker and Thompson's shown more, that he can adapt; change things, get the players fighting and bounce back after defeat. That to me is managerial material and in my opinion the strongest we've looked since Bruce was here.