Wednesday - V - Wycombe OMDT

Quick Quiz  

313 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the Alonso bid is genuine?

• YES
    • NO
  2. 2. If it is genuine , would you like Chansiri to sell to the twitter fibber and his 'backers'

• YES
    • NO
  3. 3. Is the Wycombe game make or break for the season in your opinion

• YES- It'll spell curtains
    • NO - Upsetting , but there's points to play for.

1 hour ago, Pablo Bonvin said:

We need to win tonight obviously, but who knows? Turning out for this circus of a club must wreak havoc with the players’ minds.

As for the takeover, I’ll only believe it’s real when we’re advertising trips to Indonesia on our shirts......

Up the Owls FFS.

Hope it's "not land of fire" again 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I am 100% ignoring all non football matters from now on. 30+ pages on the takeover malarkey and one on the actual match tells me there are plenty of other people with stronger opinions than mine! I just want to watch the game and eat pies really. I think that makes me part of the ‘problem’ but as my wife can attest that is a role I am very comfortable with!

Definitely time for some change (on the pitch). Tiredness and overplaying certain players (Reach, Bannan even Joey) is taking its toll. Wycombe are not going to be here to roll over! It’s gonna be tough and we need pace and power. We haven’t got power so pace it is! Fast wingers/ wingbacks tonight please! Replaced at half time with fresh legs to keep up the pace! I can’t keep up with who’s fit and who’s not but let’s have Harris, Green, Odubajo, Windass and Penney all involved tonight. Run boys, run!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

"Now is the winter of our discontent"

It just goes on an on doesn't it. Like the drone voice in the back of your head which tells you that you have forgotten to lock the back door, or that you have left the gas on. There's always something with the Wednesday. Always something. 

Tonight the news that someone has tabled a bid for the club. Someone who was calling themselves a shareholder of the club not a month ago, before quickly retracting the statement and within the week apparently cutting all ties -before they'd even been tied ,by all accounts,- citing "Irreconcilable differences with the club".   

Now there's a phrase we've come to hear a lot in recent years. But then the real sting in the tail-: 

"Unfortunately, due to forces around the club, it became untenable to continue especially as the chances of my reputation being affected became apparent.”

Due to forces around the club eh? Well, one needn't be Sherlock Holmes to have a wild stab in the dark what that might be referring to. But I don't want to get old Hargreaves in trouble, so we'll not mention names. But...

Now the thing is, support for the Chairman seems to be at an all time low. and understandably so, unless you're Moon touched.  Our club has failed to get it's clubs accounts in...again. We started the season on -12 points due to the irregular running of our wonderful club. Player's have been getting half paid, we're rooted in the bottom three, are manager-less, after sacking two managers before Christmas, a record surely even for us. 

image.png.bd97534a3b34bda88d1c267d19644682.png

We have half our squad out of contract in the summer, including half of our "He's only good enough for League one" players....who might actually come in handy should we find ourselves in League one, and a handful of promising youngsters who also might be needed if we end up in a division with an incoming wage cap. 

So far. None signed up. Not only is it staggering, it's actually terrifyingly ineffectual for a multi million pound business.  But then... we don't have a business savvy CEO overseeing things at the club.

We don't even own our own ground, after the owner sold it on the clubs before to the chap who looks back at him from his shaving mirror.

No; the pressure is on old Channers here, probably more than any other time of his tenure.  A bid coming in at this time heaps massive pressure on a man already under massive pressure.  It turns a screw. It ignites an unhappy fan base. 

"Gerrit sold and sling your hook" is a growing momentum I see all around - and I daren't even see what's being said on Twitter. 

However. 

As much as it might be a nice dream for Wednesday fans to think about this period of overspending failure to be packed away and a fresh new dawn to rise over Hillsborough... a quick look at the supposed bidders makes the eyes wince. 

tenor.gif?itemid=15529781

It's that chap Alonso. He so recently departed. Got the backing of some unnamed backers from Indonesia. Hmmm. I'm not a fan of this un-named backers malarkey. It gives me visions of 2018 all over again, and truth be told, I still have some concerns as to who actually has their hand in the black glove that pulls the strings at Hillsborough. I'm not sure I'd want an out of the frying pan into the fire scenario. Though, of course, that would be typically Wednesday. 

Alonso is someone who claimed to be a Wednesday shareholder. The other year he claimed to be the agent of Celta Vigo winger Emre Mor, until the player said he'd never heard of him.  Alonso, is a chancer. 

Has he really made a bid? 

Or is it more likely  he's got the right royal lip on, after having his Wednesday ties severed, ties with a proper real club and not a made up one.

Rather than vague tweets, outright fibs and Website which offers nothing but "under construction" as a window in the business. 

No wonder he's smarting. Spivs do when the door slams shut on an opportunity to get in an exclusive members club.

Ties severed with a historic club that would have brought a certain Ties to a proper club which would have given his business a genuine legitimacy in the game.

This is surely an angry nonsense to make life a bit more uncomfortable than it already is for Chansiri and 'he who must not be named for legal reasons'.

A petty strike out against someone who's smarted you. 

image.png.8a8c41a491931eb1b3d732a51ed2c750.png

Of course, some will say that it would be better than the current situation!  Even though it is unlikely to be genuine and little more than a PR sniper shot. 

The thing is, to those who'd want it to be a genuine attempt, you have to say that when it's a case of having to decide the lesser of two spiv options then you know you're really in the mire. 

This is a move just to cause Chansiri a big headache. And up yours and a rods from old Erik to Channers and Pa  'he who can't be named for legal reasons'.

If I am wrong, and it would't be the first time I admit, I was once wrong in 1974, and the chap has made a genuine bid, did he really think it would be accepted? 

Of course not.

If he'd been genuinely working with Chansiri, which Chansiri admits he had, for the best part of a calendar year - (doing what, we're not sure- though rumour persists one of the things was trying to bring Hutchinson back on Pulis's nod.) then surely Alonso would be aware that Channers reckons he's spaffed £350 on the cause. The lost cause. Of course he would. 

Alonso would know absolutely 100% that a bid of £30m would be laughed straight out of town.

Would anyone accept a bid of 10% what you feel you have put in?

Of course not. And Wednesday are no different. 

Well, except perhaps when letting players go...

And that's the only possible reason it's been done - Maximum disruption. On the back of a heavy defeat too.  Perfect timing for a spat-blast to turn the fans up to boiling point from their regular simmer.

And the bid...£25m - £30m?

£30m would probably get you the Presto Stand  , half the cantilever and Jordan Rhodes's thumb! He know's that. 

He's playing a game. And he's probably guzzling Krug and playing with his hampton-wick, as we speak laughing his self silly.  

Meanwhile Channers is staring down a barrel of anger. 

Is it genuine?  Not to me. I think you get a hunch. 

Though you see what you want to see really don't you. 

And so... this is how we go into what is possibly the biggest game of the season, against Wycombe. The only side below us in the table. Defeat for either side is unthinkable. The pressure on the game is huge. More so for us perhaps because we still think we've half a sniff of survival and...

image.png.1ea187429289d2a115084292223682ea.png 

"Sir..."

"What is it, I'm in the middle of the monologue?"

"Mr Hargreaves is on the telephone, Sir. He says it's a matter of great urgency"

"Well, can't it wait? What does he want?"

"He's calling a meeting of the Extraordinary League of Owlstalk posters,Sir. He wants to raise a consortium to buy Sheffield Wednesday"

"Buy Wednesday! With what funds?"

"He's going to use the subscriptions. Trev is going to sell some paintings, Andy is going to get the old Champion pies back on the go and sell them off the back of a tandem ridden by Grandad."

"Still doesn't seem much?"

"Well apparently, the dressing room section have also had a whip round and come up with 4 old Soviet Rubles, a Rainbow ribbon and an old CND pin badge, which apparently are worth well into double figures these days"

"Crikey. Sounds legitimate. Better put him through." 

----------------------------------- THE MATCH -----------------------------------

WEDNESDAY

V's

WYCOMBE

image.png.30c3e76211c674b053384cbe8f8cdfab.png

9th February, 2021

Kick Off: 7pm

Hillsborough Stadium

Wednesday went ahead at Millwall on Saturday afternoon, caretaker boss Neil Thompson would have felt that his Owls side were well on their way to another important three points.

However, their second-half capitulation at The Den has put a different spin on things, with Wednesday now three points adrift of safety with their goal difference having taking a significant hit courtesy of the 4-1 defeat.

Conscious that he can have few complaints with the progression of his side in recent weeks, Thompson will hope that the setback is a minor blip in their bid to avoid relegation.

Gareth Ainsworth knows that a momentum change is needed at Adams Park.

Failing to score during either of those matches frustrated the Chairboys boss, who would have felt that progress was being made in the final third of the pitch.

Wycombe emerged victorious by a 1-0 scoreline in the reverse fixture back on October 31, a result which represented their first ever victory in the second tier.

TEAM NEWS...

--------------------------- WEDNESDAY ---------------------------

image.png.92e566a2ca46237ad1a0f9fc9bd0263c.png

Having suggested that some of his players were feeling the effects of a tough schedule, Thompson is expected to make changes to his Wednesday XI.

Kadeem Harris and Jordan Rhodes are likely to be among the players recalled to the side, as Thompson will know the value of a win. 

Massimo Luongo misses out with a thigh injury.

Wednesday possible:
Westwood

Lees   Dunkley  Urhoghide

Palmer   Reach  Pelupessy  Bannan     Harris

Paterson   Rhodes

---------------------------WYCOMBE WANDERERS-----------------------

image.png.033cc00e54d89a36e1bc8c783ed0eca9.png

Ainsworth will also make alterations to his Wycombe side, potentially handing recalls to Garath McCleary and Admiral Muskwe.

Anthony Stewart and Jason McCarthy are also pushing for starting roles in defence.

image.png.547f2bd4f9c73e4c19fb8f12271ad56f.png

Wycombe  possible :
Allsopp

Grimmer  Stewart  Tafazolli   McCarthy

Wheeler   Ofoborh

Horgan    McCleary   Muskwe

Ikpeazu

--------------------------------------------------------------

FORM GUIDE...

Wednesday  form: W W W W L

Wanderers  form: L L L

image.png.b83a7b2f8222029d66b2af80c280b736.png

COME 

ON

WEDNESDAY

1961018692_boulderswfc.gif.e3eed4fcc2555268e09c202d36495a9b.gif

Looking forward to this evening. Wycombe have had a long coach trip so I expect the combination of their poor team combined with 'leggy' players will lead to a goal rich game in our favour.

Hope this post finds you well. I had the temerity of posting something critical about owlstalk yesterday and now apparently my posts have to be approved by a moderator, liberal thinking and all that.

"Fun" fact: despite Wycombe's southern location, this will be their first game north of their ground since 9 December. Since then, they've played 11 games. 8 have been at home (including 6 of the last 7), and the 3 away have been at Bournemouth, Bristol City and Brentford.

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Good thread as always M'Lord thank you.

We are not just any ordinary club we are the sublime,majestic and wonderful ....the Mighty Sheffield Wednesday. Together we can achieve the success we all yearn for beginning tonight with a massive win for the one and only Sheffield Wednesday Football Club.

Nowt else matters.

WAWAW

• Like 1

Quality read that omdt your Lordship, mercy bucket mon amie.

I think we're overdue a totally favourable night from the footballing gods......

We win by any score & we leave the bottom 3.

Cardiff win down the road at the NYS so we also catch Rovrum up.

I refuse to consider any other scenario.

Bounce back at the first attempt.

3-1 to Wednesday

UTO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sova said:

"Fun" fact: despite Wycombe's southern location, this will be their first game north of their ground since 9 December. Since then, they've played 11 games. 8 have been at home (including 6 of the last 7), and the 3 away have been at Bournemouth, Bristol City and Brentford.

Your fun and my fun are completely different lol

• Haha 3

Just thinking back to 5/5 2012, that wonderful day we rolled over Wycombe to gain promotion back to the Championship. The ground rocking, hugging strangers. Hey Jude playing as the pitch was invaded. The sort of day that comes along only a handful of times in a lifetime. Now 9 years later we play them again in a, not quite, must win game. Did anybody see this coming, no neither did I.  

• Like 1