The worst away end following wednesday

Anywhere with portable seating - Gillingham, MK Dons (National Hockey Stadium), Blackpool, Grimsby, etc.

Would always end up in the portable seats at Grimsby and you could only see half the pitch. Last time we went, there was a group of pissed up blokes at side of me who celebrated a shot that hit the side netting like a goal for a good 2 minutes before noticing we hadn't scored :biggrin:

Edited by Bassetts Allsorts
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, mkowl said:

Sat on the front row at Villa Park with a moles eye view of the game. 

The old Wembley was such a dump as well. Remember paying for good seats and my mates sister almost sat on my lap. She got an extra treat after Sheridan scored

The seats we got for the League Cup Final v Arsenal were a disgrace, an uncomfortable lean to thing that was so low down you couldn't follow the game.

6 hours ago, Birstall Owl said:

I remember going to the glorified Portaloo several times during the game, not for a ******** but just to try and take a break from the relentless rain. A game that stands out as we were lucky to get nil.

Also was it Sterland's last game for us?

Can't remember, just remember the weather and driving home in wet clothes wondering why I bothered!

Other one was Walsall away chucked it down and abandoned at half time, was mid 70's I think I was only about 7.

Gillingham's 'temporary'* away stand - made of scaffolding - remember nearly freezing to death on it in 2003 when we lost in the FA Cup - non-existent facilities, only redeeming feature is it's good view of the pitch (and I can walk to it from home).

* amazingly the 'temporary' stand is there in all its glory 18 years later.

Wouldn't go on it again if you paid me...

On 08/02/2021 at 18:13, mildatheart67 said:

Going back to the 90s the away end at Palace was rubbish.

Dishonourable mentions to Grimsby away, absolutely rammed ,near certain was over capacity.

Oxford United ,clear enough view, terrible crush in the narrow alley way getting out

On 08/02/2021 at 18:13, mildatheart67 said:

Going back to the 90s the away end at Palace was rubbish.

Dishonourable mentions to Grimsby away, absolutely rammed ,near certain was over capacity.

Oxford United ,clear enough view, terrible crush in the narrow alley way getting out

I was at Grimsby when all the pubs were shut, around 1985. Most turned round, got pissed elsewhere then arrived back late. Huge melee outside the ground, resulting in the gates crashing open. Everybody flooded in and it was a little full, to say the least.

11 minutes ago, steve simpson said:

I was at Grimsby when all the pubs were shut, around 1985. Most turned round, got pissed elsewhere then arrived back late. Huge melee outside the ground, resulting in the gates crashing open. Everybody flooded in and it was a little full, to say the least.

Yup that was the game I was at.

Ludicrously full 

4 hours ago, Lombardo said:

I thought Bury had the bouncy kop....

Both did IIRC. Remember in 70's some of our lads kept building bonfires on the Preston one. Given what happened at Bradford a few years later utter madness but seemed funny at the time.

Surprised no-one has mentioned a particularly wet Saturday in October 1983 at Fratton  Park when HE scored the winner with a 35 yard (deflected?) free kick, and the resulting shambles getting home by train!

Also honourable (or should that be dishonourable) mentions to Feethams and the Gay Meadow. Gay Meadow my arse! Whoever came up with that name was having a serious laugh!

Edited by Utah Owl
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

Both did IIRC. Remember in 70's some of our lads kept building bonfires on the Preston one. Given what happened at Bradford a few years later utter madness but seemed funny at the time.

Surprised no-one has mentioned a particularly wet Saturday in October 1983 at Fratton  Park when HE scored the winner with a 35 yard (deflected?) free kick, and the resulting shambles getting home by train!

Also honourable (or should that be dishonourable) mentions to Feethams and the Gay Meadow. Gay Meadow my arse! Whoever came up with that name was having a serious laugh!

Preston and the bouncy wooden end.....bonfire day. We got off the football special train and we're met by PNE fans wearing clockwork orange costumes. They then turned into Olympic sprinters around 1973 time

Feethams had so much rubble on the floor, kept getting pelted with stones.

Oakwell was a huge slag heap with a few barriers in.

The Shay, same all round the ground as Barnsley

Valley Parade and Blundell Park, we were crammed in like sardines.

Fratton Park covered seating had so many holes in the roof got ******** wet through.

Goodison Park and Field Mill were both at pitch level.

Millmoor and Manor Ground both had poor alleyways where you got crushed leaving the ground.

On 08/02/2021 at 22:59, KivoOwl said:

Anyone not saying Luton hasn't been to Luton.

Walk through someone's house to get in, concourse was flooded with urine, facilites from the 40s, we were 2-0 up and lost 2-3.

I think that's the same game I went to, was it when Turner was in charge? Think Terry Cooke scored one of the goals for us but I could be wrong 

On 08/02/2021 at 18:26, Birstall Owl said:

Plough Lane Feb 1989, lost 1-0, pissed it down all game, miserable day.

I was there, at one point there seemed to be more people trying to watch from the relative shelter of the bogs, than the open rain and windswept away end. 

This match also probably saw the smallest away support I've been in.

Again I'm sure it wasn't the case but there seemed to be more in the Boozer pre match than in the away end (in fairness I couldn't blame anybody who opted for the dry and warmth of the Boozer than the away end that day!)