Emma Hayes - AFC Wimbledon Reports an ‘Insult’ to Women’s football

0wl18

Given that clubs now have to consider a BAME candidate for the mangers job, I wonder how long it will be before they have to also consider a female candidate. And then a transexual, and then a cross dresser etc etc.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, fudge27 said:

It's crazy how the BBC seem to be pushing women's football, putting it above league 1 and 2 for updates and stuff. 

I'm all for building the game, but it's such an inferior version compared to the men's game it's laughable. 

The fact Hayes and the talksport woman so adamantly argue different just shows how ignorant they are and damages the progress. They'd be much better saying, the men's game is faster and technically better, but the woman's game is improving and doing attachments and linking with the men's clubs has improved the women's game drastically 

I don't like how it's being pushed, women's football has no divine right to be a popular sport. Personally I just see it as though sky/bbc hype will make football by far the top women's sport opposed to hockey or netball, at the cost of those other sports-this is driven by people in the women's game going "we should have this too".

What a stupid woman

They complain there isn't equality and then when she gets linked with a job in men's football she calls it an insult. We can't win can we?

She seems offended which is totally bizarre. All she needed to say was it's nice to be linked with the job but i'm happy where I am and case closed

• Like 1

The fact that sexist attitudes and huge egos hold back women from breaking into the men's game should come as no surprise. What however is surprising and quite disturbing (not to mention disappointing) is that in this case it is coming directly from a woman and that in itself will set back women's progress in the game by several more years.

To be asked to be the first female manager in the men's game in Britain (apart from the gorgeous Cheri Lunghi) surely has to be an honour worthy of acceptance, especially when her current role is effectively that of a kept women in an extremely wealthy man's toy (and secondary toy at that)?

That she turns down a genuine opportunity to pit her talent against men in favour of tokenism is astonishing!

• Like 1

You also have to wonder at what level did she expect to get an opportunity in the mens game?

Did she expect to get a decent championship club for eg - or a bigger league 1 club in leaner times such as Sunderland or Charlton?

Because there is no way i can see that happening

47 minutes ago, scram said:

You also have to wonder at what level did she expect to get an opportunity in the mens game?

Did she expect to get a decent championship club for eg - or a bigger league 1 club in leaner times such as Sunderland or Charlton?

Because there is no way i can see that happening

Exactly. Managers usually have to start at the bottom and work their way up by proving they can do the job. Maybe she's waiting for a call from DC?

AFC Wimbledon, probably one of the best fan bases in the country, literally re-built their club, with a genuine history.
Great location, especially for her.

As lower league clubs go, they would be hard to beat for any real fan of the sport. I would even go as far to say it would be an honour to be manager of them.

Edited by BowOwl
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, BowOwl said:

AFC Wimbledon, probably one of the best fan bases in the country, literally re-built their club, with a genuine history.
Great location, especially for her.

As lower league clubs go, they would be hard to beat for any real fan of the sport. I would even go as far to say it would be an honour to be manager of them.

Don't think they're monitoring this page mate. Send your cv to them directly 

• Love 1
  • Haha 5

On 09/02/2021 at 21:53, fudge27 said:

It's crazy how the BBC seem to be pushing women's football, putting it above league 1 and 2 for updates and stuff. 

Yeah, it's become particularly noticeable this season that the BBC are really trying to boost the popularity of the women's game. The problem is, it needs to be allowed to grow more organically, rather than artificially boosted and incorporated into coverage of the men's game.

Anyone who's watched a game of women's football will know that it's significantly different to watching the men's game. I used to work with a woman who played for Forest and then Liverpool, and she openly admitted that she found the women's game boring to watch and would never choose to watch it on TV.

Football Focus has a 10-15 minute section on women's football each week, which I'm really not interested in. As a result, I end up turning off at that point and usually forget to tune back in for the rest of the programme.

I think the way they're going about it is completely backwards and might actually start to stoke resentment towards the women's game due to the way it's piggybacking on the back of the men's game rather than being allowed to establish itself more organically.

8 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Yeah, it's become particularly noticeable this season that the BBC are really trying to boost the popularity of the women's game. The problem is, it needs to be allowed to grow more organically, rather than artificially boosted and incorporated into coverage of the men's game.

Anyone who's watched a game of women's football will know that it's significantly different to watching the men's game. I used to work with a woman who played for Forest and then Liverpool, and she openly admitted that she found the women's game boring to watch and would never choose to watch it on TV.

Football Focus has a 10-15 minute section on women's football each week, which I'm really not interested in. As a result, I end up turning off at that point and usually forget to tune back in for the rest of the programme.

I think the way they're going about it is completely backwards and might actually start to stoke resentment towards the women's game due to the way it's piggybacking on the back of the men's game rather than being allowed to establish itself more organically.

Absolutely. The football podcasts I listen to mostly all now put in weekly parts on the WSL. I skip straight through it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Orlando_Trustful said:

Absolutely. The football podcasts I listen to mostly all now put in weekly parts on the WSL. I skip straight through it. 

It's doing women's football a disservice, too. Rather than a dedicated programme, you get 10-15 minutes thrown into the middle of a programme which predominantly covers the men's game.

I'm not sure who's happy with their current approach, as the artificial blending of the two relies on the erroneous assumption that fans of one strand of football will be fans of the other.

I know of a woman who follows Doncaster Belles home and away, watches all the women's football she can on TV, but takes only a passing interest in the men's game. For fans like her, having a few minutes every week on Football Focus or a podcast isn't really going to cut it.

On 16/02/2021 at 23:06, Utah Owl said:

The fact that sexist attitudes and huge egos hold back women from breaking into the men's game should come as no surprise. What however is surprising and quite disturbing (not to mention disappointing) is that in this case it is coming directly from a woman and that in itself will set back women's progress in the game by several more years.

To be asked to be the first female manager in the men's game in Britain (apart from the gorgeous Cheri Lunghi) surely has to be an honour worthy of acceptance, especially when her current role is effectively that of a kept women in an extremely wealthy man's toy (and secondary toy at that)?

That she turns down a genuine opportunity to pit her talent against men in favour of tokenism is astonishing!

And she only lasted one season 😄

There was an article on her on BBC Sport today or yesterday and it was simply her telling everyone how great she was, never mentioned that she has the best players available to her. I am sure that she is more than competent at the level she is, however there are better coaches in the female game. Imagine if she had gone to Wimbledon and done well with them, then she becomes a legend in the women's game. We cant compare the genders in football as we don't compare them in other sports simply because of physicality but in theory there is no reason that a women couldn't be successful with a male team.

4 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

If the rules allow, would love to see women's teams entering the FA Cup or applying for league status as it would provide a genuine gauge of just how good they are.

Even if they were allowed, even invited, the women’s teams wouldn’t accept. They know that they would get heavily beaten by any men’s team they faced.

That’s not me denigrating the women by the way, I coach a girls’ team and I / they really enjoy it, but even at that age (under 11) the boys teams are a lot physically stronger.