Jump to content

Reachy and bazza..how will they be looked backed on??


Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

I won’t remember Bannan as a great Wednesday player. I will remember Nilsson, Sheridan, Waddle, Walker as great players. I will remember Sterland, Chapman, Pearson as great players. 
Bannan has been decent, a good technician who I like due to his affinity for the club. He’s had to endure 2 of the worst managers in our history and he’s continued to perform and give his best. I admire him for that. 
On his day a match winner but a liability against quick, powerful and athletic opponents. 

I guess it's all about opinions.  In the seven years that Bannan has been with Wednesday, who would you say has been a better player? In my view Bannan has been a great of the current era.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The people who don’t rate Bannan and Reach are same Wednesday fans who didn’t like Antonio or Chris Brunt or Glenn Whelan.

 

Wednesday fans can’t spot a good player for toffee. Similar to our recruitment team. 

  • Love 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Emilianenko said:

Yes every time Baz kicks it into touch or doesn’t beat the first defender from a corner it’s because our other players aren’t good enough.

i tend to keep an eye out during games for certain players . barry bannan without a doubt gives 100% cant say that so much about reach , but barry every game is giving ball away in key areas with bad passes its cost us goals lately , we all know about his awful corners , shooting ability ,goals etc , he scores around 1 goal a season for us whats not a penalty , we all know pelepessy couldnt score if goal was twice the size , our centre midfield has been a big problem for a while now ,not strong enough and dont offer any goal threat whatsoever. on saturday we got done in that area and its happened loads of times in past 1-2 years , thompson has done so well for us but in 2nd half at millwall he didnt address the problems ,chucking rhodes on was pointless in that game and the ball never came anywhere near there keeper all game. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

The people who don’t rate Bannan and Reach are same Wednesday fans who didn’t like Antonio or Chris Brunt or Glenn Whelan.

 

Wednesday fans can’t spot a good player for toffee. Similar to our recruitment team. 

Post of the year. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

Antonio, Brunt & Whelan are better for starters. I would even say that Lee was a better performer than Bannan.

I would agree that Antonio, Brunt and Whelan were better signings due to what they have achieved afterwards, I cannot see an argument that Lee has been better than Bannan.

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, thesouthowl said:

Bannan is top class and can be our best player by miles.

 

My issue with him, is he can play far too deep which leaves big holes in front of him (it's not as if there is that much quality in front of him most of the time) and by playing this deep we invite more pressure on to us.

We need someone to win the ball and then give it to him further up the pitch, this is when he is at his best. 

You can see his frustration sometimes and it's great wanting the ball, but not great having it 5 yards outside of our box all the time.

 

That said, he would be one of the first on the team sheet every week.

So frustrating that people don't see him for the player he is. All this plays too deep nonsense. He's most comfortable there and this is where we get the most out of him. Every time we mess with his position the game complete bypasses him. He is a paul scoles not a bruno fernandes, he keeps us ticking over and gets us plying and establishes our pattern of play in the game. Hes not a number 10.

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

Antonio, Brunt & Whelan are better for starters. I would even say that Lee was a better performer than Bannan.

Forgot about Brunt and Whelan, but I don't think you can argue they have given us more than Bannan. Maybe equal, but for not as long.

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:



That's nothing at all to do with Bannan and everything to do with the managers instructions


It's been proven over and over and over on here with stats provided by neutral third party statistical sites, that Barry Bannan is one of the top defensive midfielders and so I'm guessing the managers see the value in that and continue to play him where he plays

Maybe the issue isn't how deep he plays but how well/poorly those in front of him play

Totally agree with this

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Fibonacci91 said:

So frustrating that people don't see him for the player he is. All this plays too deep nonsense. He's most comfortable there and this is where we get the most out of him. Every time we mess with his position the game complete bypasses him. He is a paul scoles not a bruno fernandes, he keeps us ticking over and gets us plying and establishes our pattern of play in the game. Hes not a number 10.

How is getting a 5 yard pass off a centre back and playing to Joey P or sideways to Liam Palmer more effective than playing a defence splitting pass to a striker*** or a ball to a winger to create a chance of a cross/shot?

 

*** Disclaimer Sheffield Wednesday currently have no strikers or strikers that deemed good enough to play regularly

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, thesouthowl said:

How is getting a 5 yard pass off a centre back and playing to Joey P or sideways to Liam Palmer more effective than playing a defence splitting pass to a striker*** or a ball to a winger to create a chance of a cross/shot?

 

*** Disclaimer Sheffield Wednesday currently have no strikers or strikers that deemed good enough to play regularly

 

 

Kind of baffling he's in the stats as one of the most creative midfielders for making clear cut chances then?

It's almost like the facts are saying one thing but the haters are trying to convince us of another?


 


Owlstalk Shop

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

 

 

Kind of baffling he's in the stats as one of the most creative midfielders for making clear cut chances then?

It's almost like the facts are saying one thing but the haters are trying to convince us of another?

I'm not disagreeing with you on that, I think he is one of our best players of recent times by a long way, but I feel that sometimes he plays unnecessarily deeper than he should be. There should be players behind him that should be doing that work and feeding him slightly higher up the pitch. 

Edited by thesouthowl
spelling
Link to post
Share on other sites

On the ball moving forward Bannan is class.  Without the ball he very rarely offers a tackle.

This is a very important part of being a defensive midfielder and it is missing from his game

and it is also missing from Reach's game.  Playing them both in midfield against a side that

gets stuck in means we inevitably lose the midfield battle.

Bannan does try floated cross field passes far to often and against Millwall it lead to one of

their goals at a pivotal point in the match.

I rate him up there with our best players going forward over the last ten years but defensively

he is powder puff 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bdmfournil said:

On the ball moving forward Bannan is class.  Without the ball he very rarely offers a tackle. 


WTF

He chases back and slides tackles the ball back


His stats show he's one of the most effective blockers/tacklers in defensive midfield of the whole Championship!!


 


Owlstalk Shop

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Why doesnt Bannan practice his set pieces? If he did then he might be able to beat the first man. He could also try and improve that Hollywood pass across the middle of the pitch which also seems to be won by an opponent.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ronnie Starling said:

Why doesnt Bannan practice his set pieces? If he did then he might be able to beat the first man. He could also try and improve that Hollywood pass across the middle of the pitch which also seems to be won by an opponent.

 

Why do managers make him the set piece taker if he's that bad?

Why don't they change it?


 


Owlstalk Shop

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, sexpistol said:

I would agree that Antonio, Brunt and Whelan were better signings due to what they have achieved afterwards, I cannot see an argument that Lee has been better than Bannan.

 

Going on talent alone, Lee is the best midfielder we have had in the post-PL era.  Just a shame his body couldn't cope.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, @owlstalk said:

 

Why do managers make him the set piece taker if he's that bad?

Why don't they change it?

Maybe because if they didnt let him take them then he would run off home with the ball (even though it isn't his). 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Gresh said:

I guess it's all about opinions.  In the seven years that Bannan has been with Wednesday, who would you say has been a better player? In my view Bannan has been a great of the current era.

Not exactly hard to be one of the better players. We’ve been absolutely crap for the last 25years. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...