Would going down be so bad?

I think it’s impossible to have this thread and not to talk about DC.

Unless I’m mistaken (and someone please correct me if I’m wrong) any new players we sign have to fall within the salary cap set for league one whilst existing players, if already above that cap, are allowed.

Given we have 15 players out of contract, we are going to have to sign a full squad of players that fall below that salary cap and won’t be able to leverage our financial advantage over other teams that much.

Given the lower leagues are an area in which we have neglected over the last few years in terms of recruitment, so you really have any faith that we will get it right?

Given the managerial appointments of late, I can’t see us getting that right either. 

The only positive I could see is that we have some young players who would be good enough for that level, but the handling of our youth team/players has been appalling. Hirst, Clare and now probably shaw have all left for nothing.

We had a youth team that did very well nationally and for not one of those players to properly break into the first team is atrocious to say the least. 

We now have Penney and urhoghide both out of contract at the end of the season and could also lose them for nothing. 

Going down would be a disaster. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jp1981 said:

What if it cost us the sale of the club?

What, to another so called millionaire trying to double his money on the backs of this club and it's fans? No thank you.

Money has ruined football, it's certainly ruined Wednesday.

Time to get back to basics and get the game back where it belongs.

1 hour ago, Bigger Guns said:

I think it’s impossible to have this thread and not to talk about DC.

Unless I’m mistaken (and someone please correct me if I’m wrong) any new players we sign have to fall within the salary cap set for league one whilst existing players, if already above that cap, are allowed.

Given we have 15 players out of contract, we are going to have to sign a full squad of players that fall below that salary cap and won’t be able to leverage our financial advantage over other teams that much.

Given the lower leagues are an area in which we have neglected over the last few years in terms of recruitment, so you really have any faith that we will get it right?

Given the managerial appointments of late, I can’t see us getting that right either. 

The only positive I could see is that we have some young players who would be good enough for that level, but the handling of our youth team/players has been appalling. Hirst, Clare and now probably shaw have all left for nothing.

We had a youth team that did very well nationally and for not one of those players to properly break into the first team is atrocious to say the least. 

We now have Penney and urhoghide both out of contract at the end of the season and could also lose them for nothing. 

Going down would be a disaster. 

It would be a disaster. Need to stay up.

Another performance like yesterday and NT would have to be replaced, always assuming somebody decent can be found.

He said Millwall did not have a midweek match and were fresher. Did we have to play so many of the players who had had a hard match vs Bournemouth coming on top of previous hard matches?

Could he have picked a less physical midfield?

If we went down,crowds were allowed back in grounds and the pricing was right,then it could be a turning point in a positive way.

Starting from scratch,going to a game with no great expectations,making a social day of it with die hard fellow fans.

Anyone who believes we are a big club shouldnt bother turning up,just believe we are what we are and get behind the team,that plays in our colours.

1 hour ago, Stripes or die said:

What, to another so called millionaire trying to double his money on the backs of this club and it's fans? No thank you.

Money has ruined football, it's certainly ruined Wednesday.

Time to get back to basics and get the game back where it belongs.

No, someone who knows how to run a football club.

The issue would be coming back.

We’d morph into a mediocre League One side.

I’ve no confidence that Chansiri would appoint a decent manager. Hence we’d waste money no end and we’d stagnate.

The “banter” of league one has worn off and going down would be a disaster. Anyone who says it would be fine, is deluded. I can’t face division 3 yet again. 

Just ask the likes of similar sized clubs in Sunderland, Pompey and Ipswich. I’m sure they are all thought they’d come straight back up!

Look at Notts County too! We were only playing each other a few years ago!

Let’s hope we bottom out soon, because I really CBA with playing in the LDV vans trophy and the pigs U23’s. 

It would be a disaster. 

It won’t be like 2012 when we could have a budget twice as big as the rest of the league. The cap will mean we have to seriously be on it in terms of recruitment- does anyone trust our Chairman to handle this? 

Sunderland and Ipswich have shown that league is an absolute nightmare to get out of now. 

18 hours ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Genuine question. Why don’t you think the new wage rules would help us? Means harder to overspend like in the nineties and 2017. Also means no Dutch auction for the best League 1 players which should therefore favour our history, facilities and fanbase. 

i dont think badly run big clubs will do well in league 1/2 . over past 20 odd years there have been us,leeds,forest,sunderland,wolves,southampton and others who have been able to pay upto 10 times a rochdales budget now will have the same apart from contracted players who they still have. this will impact us massively as only a few players will be left under contract but still way over the 2.5million wage bill , i believe we would only be able to fetch in u21 players to the squad.  i agree in principle with wage caps but its so wrong that clubs like ours who have been though a bad time are massively disadvantaged with this lower league cap. 

Why oh why would it better to 'rebuild' with a new manager in league 1? Rather rebuild with a new manager unt Championship. We'd still attract them top league one players you talk about and a bit more. Sounds good yes?.... 

Please no comments about the appalling mismanagement of the club at the top. It’s too depressing and no one can predict the next act   I’ll call Shenanigans if this becomes a DC thread. There are plenty of them. 

But if we do go down consider the following

1. We would be a big fish in a little pond. 
2. This should help us to attract the best players in League 1

3. This should help us attract a manager ambitious to succeed at League 1 level

4. We can offload 15 out of contract players giving a new manager the opportunity to build his own “project” with a balanced squad of hungry players, round pegs in round holes etc.

5. We will be on a level playing field regarding wages given the cap in League 1

6. If we start to do well, history tells us we will get big crowds = big revenue = big advantage under P&S

7. We should be one of the more attractive teams for TV games in League 1 = big revenue = big advantage under P&S

8. Please correct me if I’m wrong but wouldn’t our financial performance under Championship P&S regulations be reset for 3 years as League 1 operates under completely different criteria?  Therefore no financial baggage to weigh is down. 
9. We might enjoy our football again.

10. If persuaded to stay, some of our own like Shaw, Penney, Galvin. Wildsmith etc might be able to shine which is always nice for building the connection between club and fans.  

What a short memory you have. Remember the last time we were so cocky about being a big fish in a small pool? Cast your mind back to the 2003/4 season first match in league one away at Swindon, We went there on a sweltering hot day, thinking we were going to storm that league. And the optimism lasted 45 minutes. Three up at half time and we ended up clinging on for 3-2. The  rest of the season, and the one after, just got worse,  We finished three points above relegation.

The big fish looked more like a stranded whale as the humiliations stacked up. 0-4 at Leyton Orient. 1-3 at Colchester. 0-4 at Colchester in a long midweek drive on a hiding to nothing. 1-5 at Stevenage...  and eventually we got within a few minutes of missing out on promotion in the play-off final and were saved only by a controversial penalty and red card.

You're being naieve if you think our big reputation will count for anything

Please no comments about the appalling mismanagement of the club at the top. It’s too depressing and no one can predict the next act   I’ll call Shenanigans if this becomes a DC thread. There are plenty of them. 

But if we do go down consider the following

1. We would be a big fish in a little pond. 
2. This should help us to attract the best players in League 1

3. This should help us attract a manager ambitious to succeed at League 1 level

4. We can offload 15 out of contract players giving a new manager the opportunity to build his own “project” with a balanced squad of hungry players, round pegs in round holes etc.

5. We will be on a level playing field regarding wages given the cap in League 1

6. If we start to do well, history tells us we will get big crowds = big revenue = big advantage under P&S

7. We should be one of the more attractive teams for TV games in League 1 = big revenue = big advantage under P&S

8. Please correct me if I’m wrong but wouldn’t our financial performance under Championship P&S regulations be reset for 3 years as League 1 operates under completely different criteria?  Therefore no financial baggage to weigh is down. 
9. We might enjoy our football again.

10. If persuaded to stay, some of our own like Shaw, Penney, Galvin. Wildsmith etc might be able to shine which is always nice for building the connection between club and fans.  

I'd say possibly, if we had a competent management.

PS: Sunderland haven't exactly set the league alight, and they're more massive than us.

I’ve mulled this over a lot. Trouble is when going down is the opposition sides are often really tinpot clubs (usually better run than us admittedly, but tinpot nevertheless). They treat a day out at Hillsborough like a trip to Wembley and then when we visit them raise there game just a bit to prove that being a ‘big club’ cuts no ice in L1. 

Coupled to how garbage our squad is and how badly we are run I can see a prolonged stint in L1 if we slip down now. 

Bigger picture is even if we stay up next season is going to be no different unless there is a big change in how we are run.