Would going down be so bad?

1 minute ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

1. In terms of stadium, history, average attendance, facilities. 
6. Fair point. However if fans aren’t allowed back it will be harder to carry the higher costs in the Championship and we couldn’t reset our accounts in terms of P&S

Why would stadium/history/ attendances (possibly) and facilities (for players or spectators) make a difference.

Its not helped Sunderland has it?

• Thanks 3

9 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Hows that going?

No guarantee it would go well in League One. How well did it go in 2003-04 and 2010-11? Probably the two worst seasons I have spent watching us. 

Sunderland and Ipswich are currently having a great time as big fish in a small pond! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, 31Dec1966 said:

It would be an absolute disaster.  Many times worse than the other times we've been in that division. I believe we are on the brink of the greatest disaster in the history of our club, no income, massive debts, no ground, no assets, ordinary players being paid ridiculous wages, all in the middle of a world wide pandemic and a an economic meltdown.

Thanks for your response but this is kinda my point. If we stay up we’ll still struggle with income, we don’t technically have massive debts as Chansiri is our major creditor. We still won’t have a ground or assets but our ordinary players will be comparatively good in League One. We won’t be allowed to pay ridiculous wages. We may be a bigger draw for a new manager and players 

• Love 1

1 minute ago, Andy W said:

Why would stadium/history/ attendances (possibly) and facilities (for players or spectators) make a difference.

Its not helped Sunderland has it?

Sunderland fans I know are more depressed in League 1 than ever. And they got their whole debt written off and new owners in the process. It didn't help them one bit. 

There's also so many smaller well run clubs like Doncaster, Oxford, Fleetwood, Accrington, Peterborough that absoloutely thrive off pulling the pants down of big clubs like us. Look at how your Sunderlands, Charltons, Ipswichs etc are doing. Look how it took the pigs 6 years. We were lucky we got up in 2 both times we were in. 

I mean we also had to endure two bottom half league 1 seasons. I remember them being the most depressing I've iver seen as a fan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In a hypothetical scenario, if we did go down, it would be highly likely that we would start the campaign on minus 12 points at the bottom of league 1.  

If anyone thinks we could just turn up and finish teams off are living in fantasy land. 

• Like 2

Would going down to League 2 be so bad, would going down to National League be so bad, would going out of business be so bad??? We are already in the worst period since 1867 - ever! It is already so bad. Would even worse be so bad. Absolutely. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Sefton owl said:

Basically what everyone thought last time we went down and the time before that. 

No guarantees at coming straight back up, just look at sunderland and Ipswich ffs

Fair point although Sunderland have stabilised to a degree. They had 2 seasons of losing almost every week. Now they’re play-off contenders. Of course this is at a lower standard and there are definitely no guarantees. 

24 minutes ago, beswetherick said:

Going down would be catastrophic 

Agree.... Some big clubs getting stuck down there and struggling to get back up. That could soon be us. 

It would be a disaster for us to go down again and we wouldn't be considered the big fish of the division. 

Last time we were among the very few big clubs in the league with Charlton, Southampton/Pigs. This time the league is much stronger. Potentially competing with

Sunderland 

Portsmouth

Ipswich 

Hull

Wigan

Birmingham 

Derby 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Sheff74 said:

Relegation is always a disaster, complete and absolute, for any club in any league.  Even more so when finances are on a cliff edge already.

Fair point and and no one enjoys it at the time. My point about finances is that we are where we are due to massive overspending compared to revenue. With 15 players out of contract, new regulations for League 1 and hopefully one of the highest incomes in League 1 we have the chance to reset our finances ?

The last thing we need is to go down to league one

But unfortunately we’re very likely to be going to league one

And we’ll be there for many years to come unless we’re relegated again

29 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Please no comments about the appalling mismanagement of the club at the top. It’s too depressing and no one can predict the next act   I’ll call Shenanigans if this becomes a DC thread. There are plenty of them. 

But if we do go down consider the following

1. We would be a big fish in a little pond. 
2. This should help us to attract the best players in League 1

3. This should help us attract a manager ambitious to succeed at League 1 level

4. We can offload 15 out of contract players giving a new manager the opportunity to build his own “project” with a balanced squad of hungry players, round pegs in round holes etc.

5. We will be on a level playing field regarding wages given the cap in League 1

6. If we start to do well, history tells us we will get big crowds = big revenue = big advantage under P&S

7. We should be one of the more attractive teams for TV games in League 1 = big revenue = big advantage under P&S

8. Please correct me if I’m wrong but wouldn’t our financial performance under Championship P&S regulations be reset for 3 years as League 1 operates under completely different criteria?  Therefore no financial baggage to weigh is down. 
9. We might enjoy our football again.

10. If persuaded to stay, some of our own like Shaw, Penney, Galvin. Wildsmith etc might be able to shine which is always nice for building the connection between club and fans.  

If we go down we won't come back up for sometime. If DC stays he will make more money keeping us in league one. He will charge £500-600 a season for ticket while having a salary cap of about £5m then blame the rules why he cannot invest at the same time he will be pocketing about £10m a season in profits.

If we go down we will in my opinion with DC still here, keep falling. It was the Big Jack that brought us back from near 4th division last time but with any manage working under DC, I just don't see it happening.

5 minutes ago, Beighton Owl 87 said:

It would be a disaster for us to go down again and we wouldn't be considered the big fish of the division. 

Last time we were among the very few big clubs in the league with Charlton, Southampton/Pigs. This time the league is much stronger. Potentially competing with

Sunderland 

Portsmouth

Ipswich 

Hull

Wigan

Birmingham 

Derby 

Add Charlton to that list too

19 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

If we do get relegated, the first thing that clown running the club needs to do is stop pricing fans out of attending football matches at Hillsborough.

£640 early bird price on the South Stand to watch third division football is a f**king joke and if he doesn’t address this, attendances are Hillsborough will be as low as I’ve ever known.

True. A change in policy from actively discouraging fans to actively encouraging them would be required. 

• Like 1