MCU

Ellis Rimmer

On 21/02/2021 at 12:50, i used to be sc_owl said:

Keeping up with a film every few months is fine, but then having to watch shows to have the movies make sense? 

DE4C9862-8C87-48DF-80CC-6B4665340D8E.jpeg

I doubt you will HAVE to watch the TV programmes for the movies to make sense, any more than you have to have seen Doctor Strange for Infinity War to make sense.  He's a wizard - there, you are caught up.  Enjoy the film.

Wandavision is great fun though.  

19 minutes ago, owlinexile said:

I doubt you will HAVE to watch the TV programmes for the movies to make sense, any more than you have to have seen Doctor Strange for Infinity War to make sense.  He's a wizard - there, you are caught up.  Enjoy the film.

Wandavision is great fun though.  

I’m pretty much all or nothing. I either throw myself into something or I complain about it. There is no middle ground. 

I'm mixed with WandaVision, I didn't enjoy the first three episodes, 4-6 I thought were really good and then 7-9 didn't do it for me. Elizabeth Olsen was superb throughout , Bettney was decent as was the women who played Agness. 

2 minutes ago, Gparrish said:

I'm mixed with WandaVision, I didn't enjoy the first three episodes, 4-6 I thought were really good and then 7-9 didn't do it for me. Elizabeth Olsen was superb throughout , Bettney was decent as was the women who played Agness. 

Yeh they could have cranked it up by adding a more shocking twist such as introducing mutants like Magneto as her Dad. I was hoping for something like that.

Shocking twists are overrated.  

Sometimes it's about just telling a story.

WandaVision was about someone grappling to deal with their grief (admittedly by magically forcing people to act out the sitcoms that comforted her as a kid in wartorn Balkans shithole #7, but we've all been there).

I mean, it's still a superhero show, so there has to be someone to punch and shoot lasers at at the end, buti bringing in all this stuff like X-Men and multiverses and Mephisto etc doesn't do anything in service to that story.

3 minutes ago, owlinexile said:

Shocking twists are overrated.  

Sometimes it's about just telling a story.

WandaVision was about someone grappling to deal with their grief (admittedly by magically forcing people to act out the sitcoms that comforted her as a kid in wartorn Balkans shithole #7, but we've all been there).

I mean, it's still a superhero show, so there has to be someone to punch and shoot lasers at at the end, buti bringing in all this stuff like X-Men and multiverses and Mephisto etc doesn't do anything in service to that story.

The source material is an xmen storyline hence the link

X-Men are a terrible fit for the MCU anyway.  If they do introduce them eventually they will have some serious storytelling work to do.

"Hey, are you coming on the anti-mutant protest at the weekend?"

"Yeah, sure.  Why do we hate them again?"

"Well, they have superpowers, don't they?"

"I guess.  Don't you have a poster of Captain America on your wall?"

"Cap doesn't count.  He got his superpowers in a lab.  These guys were BORN that way."

"Right, right.  You mean like Thor."

"No, look. Thor's an alien, right.  So he's cool.  This lot just aren't NATURAL."

"Doctor Strange does magic, though.  Is that natural?"

"Magic's different.  He learned that.  Mutants are mutants."

"What about Spiderman?  Is he a mutant?"

"No, no.  Spiderman is... well, I'm not sure he's ever told anyone where his powers came from.  But he was in the Avengers, right.  So he must be cool."

"Wasn't Wolverine in the Avengers for a bit?"

"Shut up.  These people are dangerous!"

"Didn't Tony Stark once nearly blow up the entire world that one time?  AND he handed over his global network of military drones to a horny teenager...  He doesn't have any superpowers at all..."

"Ok, look.  Magic is fine.  Technology is fine.  Being created in a lab is fine.  Aliens are fine.  Whatever Spiderman is is fine.  It's just this one specific way of getting superpowers that we don't like.  Christ, it's like talking to a brick wall..."

"Ok.

So what's Ant-man's deal?"

Edited by owlinexile

59 minutes ago, owlinexile said:

X-Men are a terrible fit for the MCU anyway.  If they do introduce them eventually they will have some serious storytelling work to do.

"Cap doesn't count.  He got his superpowers in a lab.  These guys were BORN that way."

"No, look. Thor's an alien, right.  So he's cool.  This lot just aren't NATURAL."

"No, no.  Spiderman is... well, I'm not sure he's ever told anyone where his powers came from.  But he was in the Avengers, right.  So he must be cool."

"Didn't Tony Stark once nearly blow up the entire world that one time?  AND he handed over his global network of military drones to a horny teenager...  He doesn't have any superpowers at all..."

"Ok, look.  Magic is fine.  Technology is fine.  Being created in a lab is fine.  Aliens are fine.  Whatever Spiderman is is fine.  It's just this one specific way of getting superpowers that we don't like.  Christ, it's like talking to a brick wall..."

"Ok.

Yeh that's the point as they are born different they are predjudiced 

X-Men are definitely being introduced for definite anyway. Rogue is the likely antagonist of Captain Marvel 2.

I mean if you don't like all that you're not gonna like them adding Blade with all the vampires lol

2 hours ago, owlinexile said:

"Ok.

... and where were they all when Thanos turned  up ? 

I can’t see how X-Men fit in. 

30 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

... and where were they all when Thanos turned  up ? 

I can’t see how X-Men fit in. 

They are not merging the current X-men films into the MCU, they will start afresh except for Deadpool. So an all new cast. 

Enjoyed it although I thought they tried to get too much into the last 2 episodes. In addition I'd seen too much around the Luke Skywalker style cameo so was slightly disappointed with that.

All in all I like that the series links a bit of Wandas mutant origins with the age of ultron version that she and her brother were experimented on. Means they can expand on this and it all be seamless

Sets it up nicely for the next 3 films and means the theory of Wanda ripping the universe apart can still happen, as can the links to X men and the fantastic four entering the MCU.

Now looking forward to Falcon.   - seriously think it's all leading up to alternate realities.

Oh and bringing Agnes back for future films/series is a must, thought Kathryn Hahn was excellent and again, if Wanda last and future links back to the comic stories there are plenty of opportunities to do so.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

They are not merging the current X-men films into the MCU, they will start afresh except for Deadpool. So an all new cast. 

Point stands. If they are around to merge now , where have they been since Iron Man ? 

Keep em separate I say. 

7 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Point stands. If they are around to merge now , where have they been since Iron Man ? 

Keep em separate I say. 

Eternals comes out later that year, where were they lol 

I think they will just introduce them as people that have been hiding away for fear of persecution until Xavier brings them together.

I think it will be more weird seeing someone like Wolverine being portrayed not by Jackman, that will be weird

Just now, owlinexile said:

Still doesn't make sense.

How do people know Spiderman isn't a mutant?

Why doesn't Wolverine just tell people he got bitten by a radioactive wolverine?

I mean it is Marvel so you do have to suspend your disbelief a bit

So to play along, why would Spiderman be seen as a mutant? people may just think it's his technology helping him. They won't know about his spider sense and super strength. Web shooters are mad made, they probably think it's his suit helping him climb those walls lol

In regards to Wolverine + Mutants, the parallels are meant to be drawn with civil rights movement, they don't want to have to lie about who they are and keep things secret.