Just now, Dooogs said:

I missed that one - what happened?

Some kerfuffle about Wednesday travelling down by coach on the day of the match, so some of the first team got the train instead. 

My memory is poo, but it's something along those lines.

Monday 25th August 1997 Blackburn 7 - 2 Sheff Wed.

Why does it stick in mind.   On the Saturday I took my family in our new car (well new to us owned for less than 2 weeks) to Blackpool.   Lovely day,  got back to car park no car.  Nicked.   had a nitemare trying to get back to Sheffield with no car and a young child of 4.   

On the Monday got phone call from the police car found in Old Swann, Liverpool can I collect it in the next 4 hours before it goes missing again.   The gits had nicked all the kids toys and car seat.   Smash the side window and barreled the car.   It had done 57 miles.   They also wrecked the steering I dint find that out till later.   Got back thought I'll go pub and watch owls that will cheer me up.   FFS.  That went well.

What a weekend

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Paddyowl said:

The 7-1 defeat at Highbury was hard to take, we were still in the game after an hour, never seen a team crumble like that so quickly.

Sat directly behind the Arsenal fans as well, got a little heated as you can imagine.

My abiding memory of that game; it's half-time and we're chatting about the second half.  One of the lads pipes up 'It's got 1-1 written all over this'.  Needless to say we reminded him of that all the way home and at least once a month subsequently 😁.  

The 7-0 home win against Burnley last game of the season in 1967. The only home game I missed that season as my dad took us to see his mate play in a pub team final somewhere near the Timbertop. And John Richie didnt score!

The lashing away at Man City under Gray was a tough one to take, the longest second half of my life.  It felt like they were scoring every 5 minutes.

7-2 away at Burnley was a great away day and 6-2 at home to Leeds mid nineties spring to mind. Thankfully the 7-1 at home to Forest was probably the only home match I missed that season. Was on holiday in Spain watching us get hammered 7-2 by Blackburn. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, matthefish2002 said:

Was there at the games.
Thought it was a total freak result, was 1-1 with 20 mins left and after that everything Arsenal tried are off.
Finished 3rd in the Top Division that season so dont think it was an indication of the team at the time.

Was also at the 8-0 Newcastle loss which wasn't very pleasant but I think the most embarrassing thrashing was 7-1 at home to Forest in the mid 90s.

Think Forest were having a good season and we just seemed to give up. 

Forest defeat was awful. I was out shopping in town and phoned my brother to see how we were getting on. Think we were 5-1 down and my brother is a Forest fan. I honestly didn't believe him.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Sure it was still 1-1 with less than 20 minutes to go. 

I was at that game. The last 20 minutes was attack-shot-goal, attack-shot-goal. Weirdest/surrealist thing I've ever witnessed at a football match. 

23 minutes ago, Beighton Owl 87 said:

7-2 away at Burnley was a great away day and 6-2 at home to Leeds mid nineties spring to mind. Thankfully the 7-1 at home to Forest was probably the only home match I missed that season. Was on holiday in Spain watching us get hammered 7-2 by Blackburn. 

Was at the Forest game. Wednesday fans booed the team off (who'd have thought you'd get booing at Hillsborough lol) but then the Class came, Wednesday fans applauded Forest at the end and Stan Collymore.

Weird, a sound beating used to be a low point, that often a manager wouldn’t recover from. Southampton, a really well run club have twice conceded 9 in little over a year, Liverpool scored and then let in 7. Teams can score 6 one week, before conceding 6 the following week, with, as yet, no managerial casualties

2 hours ago, Dooogs said:

6-0 at Reading around 2007 or so always sticks in the memory - especially all the defenders watching the highlights on the bid screen after the final whistle!

4-0 at Colchester too (the game that got Sturrock fired) - it really could have been 6 or 7 that night: we managed to make Greg Halford and Karl Duguid look like Messi and Ronaldo...

6-0 at reading was grim , first match i took the kids to, they wondered why......

also got a parking ticket, just a garbage night all round

1 hour ago, Nero said:

The 7-0 home win against Burnley last game of the season in 1967. The only home game I missed that season as my dad took us to see his mate play in a pub team final somewhere near the Timbertop. And John Richie didnt score!

Ha ha, saw that one!

First half hour was crap; typical end of season affair though it wasn't even the last home game. We scored, quickly got another and in the second half they fell apart. We had seven in the end, McC missed a pen that would have made it eight but the score flattered them, not us.

But the best game that season was the 6-1 against Chelsea on New Years Eve. Remains the best performance over 90 minutes I've ever seen from a Wednesday side.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, New Maple Staple said:

Was at the Forest game. Wednesday fans booed the team off (who'd have thought you'd get booing at Hillsborough lol) but then the Class came, Wednesday fans applauded Forest at the end and Stan Collymore.

They had a really good side back then finished 3rd I think that season too and a number of their players went to euro 96 with England. 

5 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Newsome's take on the dressing room makes for sorry reading.

Wilson had already got rid of the 'fancy dans' by the time of the Newcastle game yet still the dressing room was split and he couldn't even appease local hard-working honest pro's like Newsome. Out of his depth. 

Danny Wilson was a very poor manager for Wednesday. I’ll remember him for his contribution as a player.

• Like 1