Wednesday Thrashings

I came on at half-time and was out there for about a minute. There was no malice in my challenge, genuinely, but I caught Reda Johnson with my elbow as I went for a header and Lee Probert, the referee, came across straight away and said, “Smithy, that’s a red card.” I couldn’t believe it.

I think Smith is kidding himself here. He certainly didn't go in for the header - he has had no intention of playing the ball, and indeed got nowhere near it.

You could argue if it should have been a straight red or a yellow and a very stern warning, but to say there was no malice is completely wrong - the only intention he had was to leave one in on Johnson, so he can hardly of been shocked when the ref sent him off. He tried to be dirty and got caught.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Disagree. He carried the main attacking threat in 98/99 and when he first came he forged a surprisingly good partnership with Booth. We went downhill after Wilson saw him off. 

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I lost count of the times that he caused the Hillsborough Hush. The sound of the ball rippling against the knots in the goal net after one of his many errors still grinds to this day.

47 minutes ago, Paddyowl said:

The 7-1 defeat at Highbury was hard to take, we were still in the game after an hour, never seen a team crumble like that so quickly.

Sat directly behind the Arsenal fans as well, got a little heated as you can imagine.

Up until then I'd only been to Selhurst Park and the old Den, but my dad's an Arsenal fan so he was excited to be taking me to a 'proper' stadium. We were on the away terrace and because I was so small we were right down the front. I remember the final whistle going and turning round to see all the miserable faces (of those who'd stayed until the end) and my dad in the middle of them unable to decide whether he should be smiling at his team's victory or feeling bad for his devastated son.

4 minutes ago, mark1948 said:

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I lost count of the times that he caused the Hillsborough Hush. The sound of the ball rippling against the knots in the goal net after one of his many errors still grinds to this day.

Player of the year 1998-99. Guess you were in the minority. 

9 minutes ago, mark1948 said:

I think both can be right - Beni often did carry the team and also, he did often lose the ball at just the wrong time/place. The frustrating bit for me in terms of fans' attitudes was the amount of fans who expected him to be a 25-goals-a-year player rather than a classic No 10.

Along with Wilson's crap man-management, the thing that did for us in 99-00 was replacing the two Italians with De Bilde and Sibon. Bring in a non-stroppy, productive No 9 and it could have been a very different season. I don't think it would have made a massive difference in the long-term, though - the club was so poorly led in the late 90s and early 2000s that I suspect we would have gone down and stayed down in 00-01 or 01-02 anyway. (sadly, that's very much how I feel right now)...

6-0 at Reading around 2007 or so always sticks in the memory - especially all the defenders watching the highlights on the bid screen after the final whistle!

4-0 at Colchester too (the game that got Sturrock fired) - it really could have been 6 or 7 that night: we managed to make Greg Halford and Karl Duguid look like Messi and Ronaldo...

4 minutes ago, Nostalgic Owl said:

That was a cracking Forest team they had for a few years.

My mate at uni was a big Runcorn fan. Forest had signed Woan for a pittance but with a good sell-on clause and he was convinced Runcorn would make a fortune when Woan was sold on. Tragically, Woan stayed at Forest and Runcorn went bust a few years later...

14 minutes ago, Nostalgic Owl said:

That was a cracking Forest team they had for a few years.

Bohinen was a class act.

He was a decent player but he only scored about 15 goals in his time in England and about 14 of the must have been against us!