No free agent players on the horizon yet - Neil Thompson

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

Yeah I understand that, but what I don’t understand is, presumably our offer for Cosgrove, which again was well below what Aberdeen wanted, was substantially more than Crewe wanted for Pickering. Why didn’t we just pay Crewe the whole fee?

I get your point here pal for sure but id bet the offer for Cosgrove was with very little up front, circa about half of Harry Pickerings fee. 

5 hours ago, gurujuan said:

We do seem waste time, our own and other peoples. Did we really make an offer for Cosgrove that fell well short of what Aberdeen wanted? They wanted 2.5m, they got 2m. Presumably we’d have had to offer at least half of that, to even warrant a response? Of course it would not have been enough to tempt Aberdeen into parting with their hotshot, but it would surely have been enough to get the Pickering deal signed. Why then offer a figure for Pickering, which had already been turned down by Crewe. We just come across like a bunch of tyre kickers. We either didn’t have the money in the first place, and were simply wasting people’s time, or we were playing a game of brinkmanship that ended up backfiring on us, leaving us no time to switch targets. In doing so, we missed out on a very good left back, in Max Clark. The 24year old, was someone we knew well having tried to get him before he went to Holland, and would have been a great long term option for us at left back. Instead he went back to Hull on a free transfer. Now Hull say they beat off Championship clubs for his signature, so perhaps we were one of those clubs competing for his signature, I don’t know. With a ready made vacancy at left back, we should really have been able to sell ourselves ahead of a third tier outfit, even if it was his hometown club

We matched Aberdeens price and agreed the wage for Sam Cosgrove, only stumbling block was us wanting to pay over 5 years and Birmingham paid upfront. 

37 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

They do have much better striking options than us though Whether our lack of forward options eventually costs us, time will tell We will only have ourselves to blame if it does

I agree...mainly as they have options whereas we don't! Whether their options are any better than our lack of remains to be seen. I hope not 

Guest HillsboroughOwlNI
34 minutes ago, Hodgyowl said:

They should have snapped up an unknown striker whilst they were there. 

If only I nu hiu you meant...

Edited by HillsboroughOwlNI

2 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

Perhaps we were offering nothing up front. And have offered nothing upfront on any deal we have gone at.

We haven't even been able to pay players and have only recruited frees due to cash flow.  Could be the case.

I’d imagine your bang right,   Can’t see how there would’ve been any money upfront for anyone when were not even paying wages on time 

Guest Hornsby
2 hours ago, Brad_owl said:

I get your point here pal for sure but id bet the offer for Cosgrove was with very little up front, circa about half of Harry Pickerings fee. 

Public relations.