No free agent players on the horizon yet - Neil Thompson

1 minute ago, pazowl55 said:

It's a bit like our whole transfer window. Only Green and Hutchinson were soild rumours of players we were after. 

The rest could have all been made up and we never actually made a serious attempt for anyone else.

And probably didn't want to loan the player back either.

Maybe, yeah

• Like 1

There are plenty options out their on frees. Surely our recruitment team should have lists drawn up already for the summer and next Jan windows ands starting to do their checks on the players. 

The free agent list hasn't really changed much in January in what you'd guess is our price bracket but there are still many options that we could look at. 

2 hours ago, gurujuan said:

We do seem waste time, our own and other peoples. Did we really make an offer for Cosgrove that fell well short of what Aberdeen wanted? They wanted 2.5m, they got 2m. Presumably we’d have had to offer at least half of that, to even warrant a response? Of course it would not have been enough to tempt Aberdeen into parting with their hotshot, but it would surely have been enough to get the Pickering deal signed. Why then offer a figure for Pickering, which had already been turned down by Crewe. We just come across like a bunch of tyre kickers. We either didn’t have the money in the first place, and were simply wasting people’s time, or we were playing a game of brinkmanship that ended up backfiring on us, leaving us no time to switch targets. In doing so, we missed out on a very good left back, in Max Clark. The 24year old, was someone we knew well having tried to get him before he went to Holland, and would have been a great long term option for us at left back. Instead he went back to Hull on a free transfer. Now Hull say they beat off Championship clubs for his signature, so perhaps we were one of those clubs competing for his signature, I don’t know. With a ready made vacancy at left back, we should really have been able to sell ourselves ahead of a third tier outfit, even if it was his hometown club

I am not saying we are in the same league but Real Madrid and Barcelona have been doing this for years, make out they are interest in world class players then try and sign them through the back door or wait till players are out of contract. 

We have balls up out last 2 transfer windows massively. The January window before we ended up panic buying Da Cruz who was absolutely awful and a massively unfit Wickham that if it was not for the season being extended because of Co-Vid may never have played for us as he was that unfit.

We then had the summer window before that when we were under an embargo unable to announce we had signed Bonner, Harris and Odabajo on free signings.

I keep hearing that DC has learned his lesson and he is doing things better then every transfer window our business gets worse and worse. Not just incoming either. Why did Dawson, Hunt, Waldock, Brennan, FDB not go out on loan none of them will barely play from now to the end of the season, so why not get them out on loan and maybe even save a bit of cash at the same time.

2 hours ago, Themagiccap said:

There are plenty options out their on frees. Surely our recruitment team should have lists drawn up already for the summer and next Jan windows ands starting to do their checks on the players. 

The free agent list hasn't really changed much in January in what you'd guess is our price bracket but there are still many options that we could look at. 

image.png.589c803c69bc9cdda8b70e2482044725.png

2 hours ago, gurujuan said:

It was reported we’d made an offer, similar to Blackburn’s first offer, which were both turned down Who knows whether what was reported was actually true

The offer for Harry Pickering to Crewe was more of a, buy now, pay later scenario and was rejected by Crewe out of hand. 

Blackburns was accepted as the payment was made in full, up front. 

53 minutes ago, Brad_owl said:

The offer for Harry Pickering to Crewe was more of a, buy now, pay later scenario and was rejected by Crewe out of hand. 

Who would accept that? Only a total CLOWN would suggest it. 

1 hour ago, Brad_owl said:

Yeah I understand that, but what I don’t understand is, presumably our offer for Cosgrove, which again was well below what Aberdeen wanted, was substantially more than Crewe wanted for Pickering. Why didn’t we just pay Crewe the whole fee?

3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Yeah I understand that, but what I don’t understand is, presumably our offer for Cosgrove, which again was well below what Aberdeen wanted, was substantially more than Crewe wanted for Pickering. Why didn’t we just pay Crewe the whole fee?

Because they wanted it upfront and we wanted installments wasn't it.

2 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Because they wanted it upfront and we wanted installments wasn't it.

But an instalment of what we were prepared to pay Aberdeen for Cosgrove, surely would have been enough to pay Crewe in full? Unless our joint offer for both players was under £400,000, which quite frankly, would be a complete joke

Guest wilyfox
11 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Yeah I understand that, but what I don’t understand is, presumably our offer for Cosgrove

don’t think we made one mate. Priced him up and walked away before it got to that. Was always gonna take a coupla mil to get him out of Aberdeen. Absolute non-starter.

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

But an instalment of what we were prepared to pay Aberdeen for Cosgrove, surely would have been enough to pay Crewe in full? Unless our joint offer for both players was under £400,000, which quite frankly, would be a complete joke

Perhaps we were offering nothing up front. And have offered nothing upfront on any deal we have gone at.

We haven't even been able to pay players and have only recruited frees due to cash flow.  Could be the case.

1 minute ago, wilyfox said:

don’t think we made one mate. Priced him up and walked away before it got to that. Was always gonna take a coupla mil to get him out of Aberdeen. Absolute non-starter.

Perhaps we were offering nothing up front. And have offered nothing upfront on any deal we have gone at.

We haven't even been able to pay players and have only recruited frees due to cash flow.  Could be the case.

More than likely, I reckon

5 hours ago, gurujuan said:

What’s the point, if they’re not on the free agent list now, we won’t be able to sign anyone added to it. 
Plus the longer we leave it, the more time that will have elapsed since they last played, meaning it will take longer to get them up to speed If there isn’t a suitable left back, or a number nine on that list now, it matters not that we will keep an eye on it

Whilst the above is true, players who became free agents last summer, may have priced themselves (wage demands) out of a move in last summer's window. Now another window has gone and they've not been signed, maybe after 7 months 'out of the game' they'll be re-evaluating their worth and wage demands and would now be affordable to us when previously they weren't?

4 minutes ago, Lime Tree Heros said:

Whilst the above is true, players who became free agents last summer, may have priced themselves (wage demands) out of a move in last summer's window. Now another window has gone and they've not been signed, maybe after 7 months 'out of the game' they'll be re-evaluating their worth and wage demands and would now be affordable to us when previously they weren't?

True

I would have thought most of the free agents at the moment are free agents for a reason (excessive wage demands, injury problems, issues at clubs). I'm sure there are exceptions but given our current financial predicament and our current (it would appear) team cohesion I wouldn't like to see anyone brought in that could disrupt things 

I'd like to hope we have enough to see us safe this season, personally I think we just about do even if our forward line is pretty poor.

Look at Birmingham spunking their budget on forwards, they're no better than we are and nobody can say they will be

1 minute ago, Chris Apolon said:

I would have thought most of the free agents at the moment are free agents for a reason (excessive wage demands, injury problems, issues at clubs). I'm sure there are exceptions but given our current financial predicament and our current (it would appear) team cohesion I wouldn't like to see anyone brought in that could disrupt things 

I'd like to hope we have enough to see us safe this season, personally I think we just about do even if our forward line is pretty poor.

Look at Birmingham spunking their budget on forwards, they're no better than we are and nobody can say they will be

They do have much better striking options than us though Whether our lack of forward options eventually costs us, time will tell We will only have ourselves to blame if it does

• Like 1