Jump to content

No free agent players on the horizon yet - Neil Thompson


Recommended Posts

What’s the point, if they’re not on the free agent list now, we won’t be able to sign anyone added to it. 
Plus the longer we leave it, the more time that will have elapsed since they last played, meaning it will take longer to get them up to speed If there isn’t a suitable left back, or a number nine on that list now, it matters not that we will keep an eye on it

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to agree with guru what the point we had a transfer window to bring in players and decided they couldn't be bothered, the best free agents where around in the summer and instead we decided to pay transfer fees for players then sign the free agents no one else wanted at the end of the window.

 

We needed a proven championship striker which we failed to bring in and a left back. The fact Penney is now getting a chance proves the Pickering link was just paper talk and the fact that Rhodes played in last game and was even in the squad shows that we didn't try very hard to bring a forward in.

 

Why would we now sign a free agent that has not played for 6 months, is not match fit and with 8 games in February alone we don't have time to get them up to pace. We go with what we have and if we ultimately fail and go down there will be just one man to blame, the bloke in charge who continues to try and do everything on the cheap. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

I suppose NT could have stopped his sentence half way through. Nothing in the offing at the moment. The last bit was surplus to requirements. I assume he may as well say we will keep an eye on things as I suppose there’s always a chance a top quality forward will suddenly decide to buy themselves out of their contract in a desperate but to come any play for Wednesday. Unlikely I know but even a very small chance is better than no chance!

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

I suppose NT could have stopped his sentence half way through. Nothing in the offing at the moment. The last bit was surplus to requirements. I assume he may as well say we will keep an eye on things as I suppose there’s always a chance a top quality forward will suddenly decide to buy themselves out of their contract in a desperate but to come any play for Wednesday. Unlikely I know but even a very small chance is better than no chance!

But won't be able to play until next season as players not free agents when the transfer window ends are not free agents until the new transfer window opens.

 

Sturridge, Costa, Pato, Bony, Niasse, Sanogo all got premiership experience all been free agents for a while all out of our price range as they will want to be paid, we cannot afford to pay what we have so why bring in more.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, room0035 said:

I have to agree with guru what the point we had a transfer window to bring in players and decided they couldn't be bothered, the best free agents where around in the summer and instead we decided to pay transfer fees for players then sign the free agents no one else wanted at the end of the window.

 

We needed a proven championship striker which we failed to bring in and a left back. The fact Penney is now getting a chance proves the Pickering link was just paper talk and the fact that Rhodes played in last game and was even in the squad shows that we didn't try very hard to bring a forward in.

 

Why would we now sign a free agent that has not played for 6 months, is not match fit and with 8 games in February alone we don't have time to get them up to pace. We go with what we have and if we ultimately fail and go down there will be just one man to blame, the bloke in charge who continues to try and do everything on the cheap. 

We do seem waste time, our own and other peoples. Did we really make an offer for Cosgrove that fell well short of what Aberdeen wanted? They wanted 2.5m, they got 2m. Presumably we’d have had to offer at least half of that, to even warrant a response? Of course it would not have been enough to tempt Aberdeen into parting with their hotshot, but it would surely have been enough to get the Pickering deal signed. Why then offer a figure for Pickering, which had already been turned down by Crewe. We just come across like a bunch of tyre kickers. We either didn’t have the money in the first place, and were simply wasting people’s time, or we were playing a game of brinkmanship that ended up backfiring on us, leaving us no time to switch targets. In doing so, we missed out on a very good left back, in Max Clark. The 24year old, was someone we knew well having tried to get him before he went to Holland, and would have been a great long term option for us at left back. Instead he went back to Hull on a free transfer. Now Hull say they beat off Championship clubs for his signature, so perhaps we were one of those clubs competing for his signature, I don’t know. With a ready made vacancy at left back, we should really have been able to sell ourselves ahead of a third tier outfit, even if it was his hometown club

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

Would love to be in the recruitment team at Wednesday, it would be one of the most relaxing jobs out there.

 

 

 

 

Easy like Sunday morning

Link to post
Share on other sites

A good free agent may have been waiting for a better offer, lower Prem etc.

They may now be looking at who is still interested.

You should always keep an eye on it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sneaky feeling the club can't sign anyone. There were noises about an transfer embargo when the wages were not paid on time.

 

I know we brought Hutch back but something might have happened since then.

 

I've lost track with FFP. Maybe that's a factor (again)

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Lol

 

Dom giving it the old ‘I’m going to write your answer in my blog and immediately contradict you in my tweet’

B1FAD379-DFF2-4CE2-B0D3-C8271EA3618F.jpeg

DA854665-6BEA-4DFA-9AA8-E05C447E1844.jpeg

Edited by McRightSide
  • Haha 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

Would love to be in the recruitment team at Wednesday, it would be one of the most relaxing jobs out there.

 

 

 

 

Well they did have the difficult task lately, of travelling to Cyprus to snap up an unknown defensive midfielder.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

We do seem waste time, our own and other peoples. Did we really make an offer for Cosgrove that fell well short of what Aberdeen wanted? They wanted 2.5m, they got 2m. Presumably we’d have had to offer at least half of that, to even warrant a response? Of course it would not have been enough to tempt Aberdeen into parting with their hotshot, but it would surely have been enough to get the Pickering deal signed. Why then offer a figure for Pickering, which had already been turned down by Crewe. We just come across like a bunch of tyre kickers. We either didn’t have the money in the first place, and were simply wasting people’s time, or we were playing a game of brinkmanship that ended up backfiring on us, leaving us no time to switch targets. In doing so, we missed out on a very good left back, in Max Clark. The 24year old, was someone we knew well having tried to get him before he went to Holland, and would have been a great long term option for us at left back. Instead he went back to Hull on a free transfer. Now Hull say they beat off Championship clubs for his signature, so perhaps we were one of those clubs competing for his signature, I don’t know. With a ready made vacancy at left back, we should really have been able to sell ourselves ahead of a third tier outfit, even if it was his hometown club

Has they been any official confirmation we were actually after a left back. Or did we all just guess we were after one, because we are short in that area.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the squad is capable of staying up.

Thompson has got us winning games and the team are putting in 100% effort every game despite everything off the field that has gone off.

A couple of players back from injury. 

I wouldn't bother signing anyone!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, pazowl55 said:

Has they been any official confirmation we were actually after a left back. Or did we all just guess we were after one, because we are short in that area.

It was reported we’d made an offer, similar to Blackburn’s first offer, which were both turned down Who knows whether what was reported was actually true

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jonnyowl said:

I think the squad is capable of staying up.

Thompson has got us winning games and the team are putting in 100% effort every game despite everything off the field that has gone off.

A couple of players back from injury. 

I wouldn't bother signing anyone!

I reckon we can make do at left back, but up front, I’d say pretty much all our rivals have more goals in them

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

It was reported we’d made an offer, similar to Blackburn’s first offer, which were both turned down Who knows whether what was reported was actually true


According to Nicko we offered the same money but wanted to pay in Summer

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

It was reported we’d made an offer, similar to Blackburn’s first offer, which were both turned down Who knows whether what was reported was actually true

It's a bit like our whole transfer window. Only Green and Hutchinson were soild rumours of players we were after. 

The rest could have all been made up and we never actually made a serious attempt for anyone else.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, McRightSide said:


According to Nicko we offered the same money but wanted to pay in Summer

Yes I read that, but with Blackburn’s offer having been turned down, what made them think that an identical offer, but with strings attached, would tempt them? Surely that is the very definition of tyre kicking

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, McRightSide said:


According to Nicko we offered the same money but wanted to pay in Summer

And probably didn't want to loan the player back either.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...