Jordan Rhodes

11 minutes ago, Somebody said:

Way to simplistic to claim this, seen it in a few posts.

You've got to figure in that we wouldn't be in this mess\relegation battle , if it wasn't for our shambolic transfer policy & wasted millions. Jordons transfer being the worst, by a mile.

Very unfair on Almen Abdi. 

900 minutes of Championship football in 3 full seasons. Think he did enough to win the Lifetime Achievement Award for Worst Transfers.

• Like 2

The  one thing the goal does do is put doubt in the mind of the opposition if he plays tomorrow, at the end of the day his record previously does mean he deserves respect and he can still finish given a chance. 

Agree he might not be the player he once was but I would rather play Rhodes than Marriott. 

16 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Loved his celebration

It was a much better attempt at the Wednesday Wave than previous efforts. 

At least he had a go and looked like he wanted to get it right.

There's certainly room for improvement but it's looking more promising for the next few games.

3 hours ago, Holmowl said:

@YesWeCrann

Really good article.

Your comparison with the superb and much-loved Fletcher is interesting. 

You include penalty goals, which always distorts any comparison of strikers. If you remove Fletcher’s six pens, and Rhodes’ one pen, the comparison of goals becomes surprisingly close.

Fletcher goal every 265 mins

Rhodes - goal every 314 mins

In my opinion, after Hooper, Fletcher has been our best striker in a decade, and offered far more to the side than most strikers, including Rhodes. However, we all judge strikers largely on goals, and when you consider that Fletch scored the equivalent of a goal every 3 games, and Rhodes a goal every 3 and 1/2 games, it does question why we have been quite so damning of Rhodes.

With equal minutes on the pitch, there wouldn’t be much in it in terms of goals. It’s the other stuff though. Fletcher wasn’t prolific, but his presence up front made things happen, and created opportunities for others. Now I was never sold on Fletcher, as I thought his arrival meant switching to a style which tended to limit our scoring options, and I believe, hindered the progress of Joao. What you couldn’t deny though, is the selfless way he put himself about for the benefit of the team.

Rhodes, so far, has been unable to contribute in such a meaningful way, as it never really was his game, and he has been unable to adjust to what is now required from a modern day forward. Long overdue I know, but I did detect signs that the penny might be starting to drop When he came on against Bournemouth, not only did he take his goal expertly, but his link up play was good, and he actually looked capable of leading the line. As I said earlier in this thread, that was never his game, but his size meant that he should have been able to adapt to the new role. Is he finally starting to believe that he can do it? Time will tell of course, but there were a few promising signs the other night

• Like 2