Jordan Rhodes

Think everyone wishes all the best for Jordan! But dear God, he owes us!

I don't care if he has a stormer between now and the end of the season in order to earn a decent contract somewhere else, that will mean that we benefit for once from him.

Good luck Jordan!

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, poite said:

Jordan is the victim of his own past. 

As such a prolific scorer for such a large proportion of his career he carries a weight of expectation that this is what he will always do. The moment he doesn't score he's branded 'past it' and dropped. His other qualities as a team player are discarded. 

We've had plenty of other strikers over the years who have failed to hit the back of the net on a regular basis but they get let off because chances were they never actually did that in the past. So their other attributes come into consideration i.e. he holds the the ball up well, he links play, he takes opposition players out of the game. 

Jordan does alot of these things but never gets the credit. He's been such prolific scorer in the past that that is all he's judged upon.

Some really good points raised there! Good post, and a totally different perspective

• Like 1

I’m not going to fall into the trap of trying to find excuses as to why he hasn’t succeeded here. Nobody doubts his desire to succeed, but his problems have been his failure to adapt to the role of a modern striker. There were a few signs in Tuesdays game, that he is maybe starting to come to terms with what’s needed. Not just his goal, but the way he was linking play. 
With the role of a poacher, almost obsolete at this level and above, could he have adapted to be a leader of the line? When watching him play, it’s not immediately apparent that he could. He does have the physique, there’s not much between him and Fletcher. He’s a clever enough player, knowing when to make runs, so he should be good at linking with others, something that’s so important in the modern game. Personally, I don’t think he’s shot, it’s more that the game has moved on, and he’s failed, or hasn’t been able to adapt his game to those changes. 

• Like 1

Strikers need game time, goals and confidence.

We simply had too many strikers at the club when Rhodes, Fletcher, Hooper, Forestieri, Joao, Nuhiu and Winnall were all here.

It stalled most of their careers because they weren’t getting enough minutes or a run of games... look at how much Joao has prospered since leaving us and going to a club where he is the main man

• Like 8

1 minute ago, matthefish2002 said:

Was a great goal and end to the game at Bournemouth.

But lets not getting carried away about Jordan Rhodes, even if he got 20 goals between now and end of the season he would still have been a waste of money.

Not sure about that if he got 20 goals we would certainly avoid relegation probably gaining the club 7-8 million pounds

• Like 4

Saw a post on Twitter estimating the total cost for 4 years of Jordon Rhodes to work out at circa £15 million for fees and wages. I just can't get over the poor return we've had from that investment. I'll never moan about the signing of Franny Jeffers ever again. 

Edited by Bassetts Allsorts

24 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Was a great goal and end to the game at Bournemouth.

But lets not getting carried away about Jordan Rhodes, even if he got 20 goals between now and end of the season he would still have been a waste of money.

If he gets 20 goals between now and the end of the season, then we will sell him for 10m in the summer and get our money back.

lol

• Like 1

Think he looked fitter, leaner and keener the other night.  Did well as soon as he came on with that exchange with Kachunga leading to a half chance, won a few headers, laid a few off, made some good runs, and what a cracking header to finish, then helped run the clock down a bit.  Fingers crossed for more.

• Like 2

"nobody told me there would be days like these!"