How big should our squad be

21 minutes ago, room0035 said:

The very simple problem is the same problem we have through the whole club there is no forward planning with anything.

We have this season Urhoghide, Shaw and Now Penney all 3 good young players starting to get regular first team games, they would not be playing if the management did not think they were good enough, all 3 got 1 year deals and are out of contract this season end. We done value youth and since DC has been here we never have, the only youth player to get a longer deal than 2 years was Wildsmith and that's because there we other teams wanting him before he signed a 5 year deal but he signed pre DC when Gray was still manager. But again he and Dawson and are meant to be the future and Wildsmith will be out of contract next summer, as will Iorfa.

We stumble from season to season fighting fires hope that we will get promoted but building anything to achieve promotion.

The only player in the last 6 months of their deals should be retiring or players you don't want but every season we have this same problem and ultimately it could cost us our place in the championship this season along with the really poor recruitment or lack their of.

Both of these have been going on for the last35 years, but we never seem to learn from it.

10 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

Both of these have been going on for the last35 years, but we never seem to learn from it.

I know

Can you see Man Utd letting a player who is vital to the team like Bannan to us getting into the last 4 or 5 months of his contract, Would Spurs let Harry Kane get to 6 months left - never. But we do it season in season out.

We should not have any players under a years deal because if they won't resign we then have 2 or 3 transfer windows to sell them. All the youngsters in and around the first team squad should be on 2 year+ deals with option that we can extend by another year. Then instead of losing young talent for development fees we get transfer fees in. Take Shaw at the club 10 years and looking like the real deal, if he signed for an English club now would probably get us at least a few million even in this current market, signs for Celtic (or any none English) will get less than £300k, its a false economy the £2/3k a week he would be on or others we only need 1 out of every 5 or 6 in the first team to be sold for a decent fee of £1m+ and we are making it very worth while.

11 minutes ago, room0035 said:

I know

Can you see Man Utd letting a player who is vital to the team like Bannan to us getting into the last 4 or 5 months of his contract, Would Spurs let Harry Kane get to 6 months left - never. But we do it season in season out.

We should not have any players under a years deal because if they won't resign we then have 2 or 3 transfer windows to sell them. All the youngsters in and around the first team squad should be on 2 year+ deals with option that we can extend by another year. Then instead of losing young talent for development fees we get transfer fees in. Take Shaw at the club 10 years and looking like the real deal, if he signed for an English club now would probably get us at least a few million even in this current market, signs for Celtic (or any none English) will get less than £300k, its a false economy the £2/3k a week he would be on or others we only need 1 out of every 5 or 6 in the first team to be sold for a decent fee of £1m+ and we are making it very worth while.

It’s crazy What’s concerning me now, is the situation with the youngsters. I think we’ve blown it with the senior players, indeed Bannan suggested he would decide after seeing what we did in this window 

Currently, I can see no reason why the senior players would renew, given the state of the club, certainly if we are relegated. So we would need to turn to youngsters like Shaw, Urhoghide and Penney, so it’s imperative that we get them signed up

Just now, gurujuan said:

It’s crazy What’s concerning me now, is the situation with the youngsters. I think we’ve blown it with the senior players, indeed Bannan suggested he would decide after seeing what we did in this window 

Currently, I can see no reason why the senior players would renew, given the state of the club, certainly if we are relegated. So we would need to turn to youngsters like Shaw, Urhoghide and Penney, so it’s imperative that we get them signed up

Its important it is done now as well not in 20 games time, Penney and Urhoghide was started the last 3 and look like they could develop into first team regulars we get them tided up for the next 2 or 3 years for not a lot of money and we have a left back option and a player who can play right back or center back.

Brennan other option at Centre back but need to play regularly at a higher level that under 23's to develop,  Hunt and Shaw in midfield. All signed  up for probably not much more than £15-20k a week or £1m a season and we could have 3 or 4 of the starting 11 places.

Compare what it would cost us to how much has been wasted on Kachunga, Brown, Marriott, Flint to barely play or contribute to the team.

DC needs to finally wake up and start planning for the future.

2 hours ago, Bluewings said:

Who was your Uncle? was he part of the Portsmouth team that won the title in the 50s?

His name was Gordon (Sandy) Dale. He signed for them, from Chesterfield, straight after they won the title for the second time. I think Man Utd, Villa and a load of other top clubs were after him. I think my grandad wanted him to go to Man Utd. but if he'd done that I suppose he could have been in the plane crash.

I think he got a call up for England once but got injured. They played a lot fewer internationals than they do now so missed his chance although he did play for the Football League once or twice I think.

The legendary Jimmy Dickinson played for Portsmouth at the time. My uncle said he often had his best games when Dickinson wasn't playing as he wasn't a great passer of the ball so my uncle struggled to get the ball so often. That may also help explain why he didn't average 40 games a  season for 7 or 8 years. I suppose nowadays when players move more frequently he might only have been there for a few seasons then gone on to be an ever present in a different team. It is just a shame I never got to see him play.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CircleSeven said:

Injuries in football are obviously not a new thing but given how much the game has changed away from crunching tackles and real physical battles, coupled with advances in training and medical techniques you would think things would be better than they are. It’s the injuries that drive the need for a big squad I guess. Wasn’t it Carlos who talked about two players minimum for each position? Even than doesn’t seem enough in certain positions and really players who can fulfil a number of rolls has got to be what you aspire to, to keep squad numbers under control. Imagine though a world without injuries? We’d have half a dozen centre backs sat around at every game! At least with the injuries we don’t look quite as silly for signing so many!

Mark Johnston (top racehorse trainer) said about injuries that it was always the good ones that got injured. He guessed it was because they are the ones that are trying more and pushing themselves. They also generate more power against limbs and muscle fibre that is only so strong.

I suspect that with the improved fitness of players now and the fact that they are all bodybuilders compared to 20 years ago they must be generating much more power and putting greater stress on muscles and bones.

48 minutes ago, the mighty wednesday said:

Mark Johnston (top racehorse trainer) said about injuries that it was always the good ones that got injured. He guessed it was because they are the ones that are trying more and pushing themselves. They also generate more power against limbs and muscle fibre that is only so strong.

I suspect that with the improved fitness of players now and the fact that they are all bodybuilders compared to 20 years ago they must be generating much more power and putting greater stress on muscles and bones.

That is interesting and definitely sounds like it’s probably what is happening. More and more you see clubs pick out athletic traits and then try to coach skill into them. I remember seeing a program about sprinters and how being at ‘peak fitness’ is actually an unsustainable state for humans. I guess the modern footballer is just trying to maintain something which is pretty much impossible to sustain which is peak fitness for 8months of the year. 

5 hours ago, room0035 said:

The very simple problem is the same problem we have through the whole club there is no forward planning with anything.

Honestly this is what frustrates me about Wednesday so much, I know everything cost money but planning and forward thinking is free.

The wave of youngster coming through I can't rememberr us having 3/4 like we have who actually could make it...sign them up and add to them.

It's why I didnt want Pulis, temporary stuff that over time will get you nowhere.

Back to the picture, it's roughly the time my old man started taking me to Hillsboro... there mostly my original boyhood heroes.

How good would it be to have Lee Chapman in our starting line up against Millwall, baller.