Sheffield could get a football museum

2 minutes ago, Sefton owl said:

Not saying it’s bad that investment into student developments is bad for the economy as clearly it isn’t. What I’m saying is that i find it boring and repetitive because its what a lot of large scale of developments in this city have been centred around. 

Not sure why that would annoy you at all though?

It's no different from any other development in the city

I say do more of them and lets get this city booming

Owlstalk Shop

Guest Hornsby
5 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Not sure why that would annoy you at all though?

It's no different from any other development in the city

I say do more of them and lets get this city booming

Last cultural building Council did is now a Students' Union.

£22 million for a ******** up.

18 minutes ago, Hornsby said:

Paternoster Row

The National Centre of Popular Music 

The Centre was one of the UK's Millennium Commission projects, developed to celebrate the turn of the millennium. Other Commission funded projects included the Millennium Dome and the London Eye.

Cost £15 million to build
The lottery fund paid £11 million of that

The buildings owners were Music Heritage Ltd - a private company

I think Sheffield people do blame the council for things that are just not their fault or absolutely nothing to do with the council

The building is now the HUBS - a building utilised by Sheffield's university as a fantastic building for students which is a cracking and popular building now busy every day - a real positive for the city

The only blame here lies with whoever put that Pop Music museum together and didn't include anything in it that anyone really wanted to see. It seemed to be one of those things put together by an out of touch committee that didn't take into account the wants and needs of the average/ordinary pop music fan

But yeah - the council can't be blamed in any way for this place, it's failure, or it's current usage!

But then again if you go into any facebook group about Sheffield (or any facebook group about any city) and post about any building you'll get people mad ranting about the council being to blame for it which is hardly ever the case in reality

lol

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I'd not go to that

I dont' wanna see/hear about Cycling and Cricket

I'd definitely go to an unmissable football place though

But, as has been pointed out, there's already a football one in Manchester. And unless they more or less copy it, you'd just have a load of stuff no-one's really interested in, as you say. 

7 minutes ago, Sova said:

But, as has been pointed out, there's already a football one in Manchester. And unless they more or less copy it, you'd just have a load of stuff no-one's really interested in, as you say. 

True - it's going to be interesting how it comes together, what will be in it, and most importantly why we should go visit it

Fingers crossed it is amazing and we have something to be proud of - done well it could be amazing for the city

Owlstalk Shop

Guest Hornsby
On 05/02/2021 at 19:11, @owlstalk said:

The National Centre of Popular Music 

The Centre was one of the UK's Millennium Commission projects, developed to celebrate the turn of the millennium. Other Commission funded projects included the Millennium Dome and the London Eye.

Cost £15 million to build
The lottery fund paid £11 million of that

The buildings owners were Music Heritage Ltd - a private company

I think Sheffield people do blame the council for things that are just not their fault or absolutely nothing to do with the council

The building is now the HUBS - a building utilised by Sheffield's university as a fantastic building for students which is a cracking and popular building now busy every day - a real positive for the city

The only blame here lies with whoever put that Pop Music museum together and didn't include anything in it that anyone really wanted to see. It seemed to be one of those things put together by an out of touch committee that didn't take into account the wants and needs of the average/ordinary pop music fan

But yeah - the council can't be blamed in any way for this place, it's failure, or it's current usage!

But then again if you go into any facebook group about Sheffield (or any facebook group about any city) and post about any building you'll get people mad ranting about the council being to blame for it which is hardly ever the case in reality

lol

Local Council , national govt (Millenium Dome)  all very poor at these things.

Last new exhibition at Weston  Park was moon dust Armstrong and Aldrin brought back (circa 71).

Even the Polar Bear's done  a runner.

Economically, way forward for Sheffield is infrastructure - rail link to Airport - and digital economy (have Chinese clients working on 6 G, Sheffield not fully got 5 yet). 

In South Korea, robots attend Covid patients , not doctors or nurses. 

We are in dark ages. 

Football and Music..  with splashes of funny contempory art (Big Pete Mckee cartoons) - something Sheffield is famous for.

Interactive sections for kids to have some fun (Big Fifa stations / / Kicking a ball into holes in a net to get rewards etc)

Hold national/international Fifa gaming competitions with big rewards..

Get National lottery on board - local government -  local businesses and hotels - our own local football teams..

Decent attractive infrastructure from the train station.