Sheffield could get a football museum

5 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Dr Wilson in this case is my old lecturer from SHU, as well as lecturing he has worked in sports research, economic impact surveys of sport events and football economics. He has appeared on TV a few times in the past discussing football finance. 

Oh god..

Don't let @mkowl find out 

He'll be slagging HIM off as well as Maguire

lol

Owlstalk Shop

4 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Screenshot 2021-02-03 at 08.23.11.jpg

Sheffield could get a football museum with permanent exhibition set to open at city library

‘Rare and historically important’ items showcasing Sheffield’s rich and unrivalled footballing heritage will soon be on permanent display in the city.

"So many people visit Barcelona or Manchester United, this starts to put Sheffield on the map.”

Organisers hope to be able to welcome visitors from early summer.

Dr Wilson added: “Longer term this could turn into a fully fledged museum within a revamped library or a stand-alone [site].

"We don’t currently have a great deal for visitors. This is just one strand of a big picture to make Sheffield visible.”

Chris Eyre, historian at Sheffield & Hallamshire FA – the world’s oldest county FA – will donate two trophies to the display, including the Sheffield Sunday Schools Trophy, which dates back to 1887 and required players to have attended church for the previous eight weeks before they could take part.

Will it have PRESTO painted on the roof to add authenticity? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Oh god..

lol

He's better than Maguire! 

No need for sensationalist stuff and can't remember him suggesting that writing a hidden acrostic slagging off the subject of a supposedly professional piece of text would be a good idea!  

7 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

He's better than Maguire! 

No need for sensationalist stuff and can't remember him suggesting that writing a hidden acrostic slagging off the subject of a supposedly professional piece of text would be a good idea!  

Oh no - you've gone to the dark side with MKOwl

Owlstalk Shop

20 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Oh god..

lol

I am sure he deserves it.

Those that do compared to those that lecture about it because they failed in the real world 

Just now, mkowl said:

I am sure he deserves it.

Those that do compared to those that lecture about it because they failed in the real world 

Dr Wilson actually does plenty rather than just talk about it. 

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

But he lectures about it

This is Hirstyboywonder vs MKOwl now

Full blooded hatefestival

Go on lads - have it out

ACCOUNTANCYWARS

Hardly robot wars is it!

Good effort on the sell but I don't think this will take off. 

10 hours ago, Sanchez_Jenks said:

Said it before on here. The right brains and marketing could absolutely make something of Sheffield and the birth of football. Make it out like you cannot call yourself a football fan without making the pilgrimage to Sheffield to see Sandygate, museum etc etc. Whether you're Brazilian or Chinese, you don't love football unless you have been to Sheffield etc. We're terrible at promoting ourselves (the humility) but first to moan when we're forgotten (why's Leeds on the weather map and not us bla bla). Council can't afford to do this so it would need to be FA or private backed. Not hard to think of a tour from Sheffield station taking in stuff at Bramhall Lane, Hillsborough, Sandygate, get Sheffield FC back in Sheffield, have a museum. Money into the city, hotels, tourism etc. It could lay a huge foundation if done and marketed correctly 

I lived in Spain for a few years when the National team were World and European Champs. Real Madrid were European Champs during the same period. , so they brought all the trophies out to the rural areas where the supporters looked at and took selfies off all the cups, ( for a small entrance fee, 1 euro i think ), maybe we could do something similar here ( with fewer cups obviously ) 

I also toured the Bernabau Stadium in Madrid. If you get the chance, anybody, to do the same, DO IT, the tour was brilliant. What an experience, and what a money maker for the club ||

Guest Therealrealist

Its got to be funtastic..nobody is interested in a scrappy old piece of paper that happens to be hallams first team sheet or summat..the reason museums are on their arse is cus theyre borin..really borin

On 03/02/2021 at 08:25, @owlstalk said:

Screenshot 2021-02-03 at 08.23.11.jpg

Sheffield could get a football museum with permanent exhibition set to open at city library

‘Rare and historically important’ items showcasing Sheffield’s rich and unrivalled footballing heritage will soon be on permanent display in the city.

"So many people visit Barcelona or Manchester United, this starts to put Sheffield on the map.”

Organisers hope to be able to welcome visitors from early summer.

Dr Wilson added: “Longer term this could turn into a fully fledged museum within a revamped library or a stand-alone [site].

"We don’t currently have a great deal for visitors. This is just one strand of a big picture to make Sheffield visible.”

Chris Eyre, historian at Sheffield & Hallamshire FA – the world’s oldest county FA – will donate two trophies to the display, including the Sheffield Sunday Schools Trophy, which dates back to 1887 and required players to have attended church for the previous eight weeks before they could take part.

Thought the Library was getting turned into a Chinese hotel! All up for a football museum. Maybe we could see Pulis back as curator of early football tactics.

About time we had some genuine investment into the city that will not only benefit the people that of Sheffield but also boost the tourism. Most of the developments in the city over the last 5 years or so seem to be focused primarily on student accommodation, which i detest. 

4 minutes ago, Sefton owl said:

About time we had some genuine investment into the city that will not only benefit the people that of Sheffield but also boost the tourism. Most of the developments in the city over the last 5 years or so seem to be focused primarily on student accommodation, which i detest. 

Sorry but you're wrong there.

Nothing wrong with student accommodation at all - nothing.

To sit pointing a finger of digust at housing that brings millions and millions of pounds into our city and it's small businesses is naive and misguided

As for this football musuem thing - unless it's set up right, and the right exhibits put in there, I can see it being a collection of dusty old silver plates and cups, a few football programmes, a rosette and closure after a year

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Sorry but you're wrong there.

Nothing wrong with student accommodation at all - nothing.

To sit pointing a finger of digust at housing that brings millions and millions of pounds into our city and it's small businesses is naive and misguided

As for this football musuem thing - unless it's set up right, and the right exhibits put in there, I can see it being a collection of dusty old silver plates and cups, a few football programmes, a rosette and closure after a year

Not saying it’s bad that investment into student developments is bad for the economy as clearly it isn’t. What I’m saying is that i find it boring and repetitive because its what a lot of large scale of developments in this city have been centred around.