Sheffield could get a football museum

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Because the second they start to do anything they get ripped to bits by Sheffielders

Very true I've never known a population so quick to put its self down and play down their standing and achievements the way Sheffield folk do,

Sheffield is a fantastic place that should build on its history warts and all 

Imagine Leeds, Manchester, Liverpool, Newcastle or any other city in Europe for that matter having all or any of the below

the worlds oldest football team 

An industry world renowned for its name and innovation and history

the ruins of a castle occupied by Mary queen of Scots for 15 years before her execution 

the highest retention of students staying in the city after university and making it their home 

The Musical history of bands coming out of the city 

20 minutes from the peak district in any direction 

Built on 7 hills and 5 rivers like Rome 

to name a few of the many 

They would have museums, tourist centres  historical tours and much more 

but we don't project that through fear of upsetting people then complain when we get overlooked for the other cities for investment 

LET THE SHEFFIELD FIGHT BACK BEGIN

A bigger building would be needed to house all United's trophies

And I'm not kidding

I used to take my son to football training there (in his Wednesday shirt before anyone asks)

Their foyer is littered with trophies, there's loads of them

• Like 1

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

It is surprising how many local people don't know about Sheffield early role in the birth of football.

Sheffield was also a very important place for the development of cricket from outside its birthplace of the south east of England.

I have been a couple of times to the National Football Museum in Manchester and while it wasn't terrible I didn't think it was outstanding.
Was a rose tinted look at football in the past and how wonderful modern football is, would say it felt like its target audience was people who have only ever watched a football game on TV.

It was free but when about a year ago I had a couple of hours to kill from Manchester before my train home and the museum was now £10  entrance which I didn't think was worth it.

Thought the museum would work better if was part or very close to a football ground like Old Trafford (Which also has a decent museum to the club)

7 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

A bigger building would be needed to house all United's trophies

And I'm not kidding

I used to take my son to football training there (in his Wednesday shirt before anyone asks)

Their foyer is littered with trophies, there's loads of them

Be all Sugg Sport cast offs.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PortlandOwl said:

They should have the one that's currently in Manchester. It was in Preston and nobody went. 

That’s where the EFL is now,  Preston.

Never been the same since they moved it from Lytham St Annes where I live. We used to get fines, I’d buy someone a pint at lunch at St. Anne’s Tavern, and the fine would be retracted by tea time.

The sacrifices I made for this club.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Orlando_Trustful said:

Reyt. Aren't we still paying for the World Student Games thirty years later? 

Default phrase for Sheffield people

And why Sheffield never progresses

You're literally trotting out every cliche ever uttered anyone in Sheffield about the council

lol

Owlstalk Shop

4 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Screenshot 2021-02-03 at 08.23.11.jpg

Sheffield could get a football museum with permanent exhibition set to open at city library

‘Rare and historically important’ items showcasing Sheffield’s rich and unrivalled footballing heritage will soon be on permanent display in the city.

"So many people visit Barcelona or Manchester United, this starts to put Sheffield on the map.”

Organisers hope to be able to welcome visitors from early summer.

Dr Wilson added: “Longer term this could turn into a fully fledged museum within a revamped library or a stand-alone [site].

"We don’t currently have a great deal for visitors. This is just one strand of a big picture to make Sheffield visible.”

Chris Eyre, historian at Sheffield & Hallamshire FA – the world’s oldest county FA – will donate two trophies to the display, including the Sheffield Sunday Schools Trophy, which dates back to 1887 and required players to have attended church for the previous eight weeks before they could take part.

Who's Dr Wilson?  

4 minutes ago, shandypants said:

Who's Dr Wilson?  

I wouldn't be surprised if Dr Wilson in this case is my old lecturer from SHU, as well as lecturing he has worked in sports research, economic impact surveys of sport events and football economics. He has appeared on TV a few times in the past discussing football finance. 

10 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Default phrase for Sheffield people

And why Sheffield never progresses

You're literally trotting out every cliche ever uttered anyone in Sheffield about the council

lol

So there's only ever been 2 clichés uttered by anyone in Sheffield about the Council? 😂

Just now, OWL1969 said:

So there's only ever been 2 clichés uttered by anyone in Sheffield about the Council? 😂

Oh no - there's a whole handbook that Sheffield folk reach for

Any mention of the council (especially on facebook) will immediately be met by hostile negative cliche phrases

Usually it's 'useless council' 'they've ruined the city centre' and loads of other stuff

The best ones are the ones like 'They should never have shut the hole in the road' and 'what have the council done to the peace gardens? They've totally ruined it'

All posted by people who wouldn't have dared step foot in those places before they were revamped as they were pretty much no go areas and as grim as they could be

But the funniest rants of all are the ones where any development is mentioned and the council get attacked, even though it's private developers and absolutely nothing to do with the council

Try it yourself - it's good fun - just go onto any of the Sheffield facebook groups and post a photo of the peace gardens or a video of the city as it is now and sit back and wait for the default sheffield folk to attack the council with their inaccurate default cliches

lol

Owlstalk Shop