Sheffield could get a football museum

I really hope we do it good and proper in future.

Make it a genuine landmark attraction and not a little token thing. 

We’ve got clubs fans like bournemouth who think we are tinpot, probably with no idea of the history of Sheffield and football in general.

The city has to market it better and I hope this is a step in the right direction and we actually build on it

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Mister Soul said:

The sad memory of the NCPM still sadly lingers on 

When I read the plans for this museum that's the first thing I thought of

I hope they don't just bang in some rusty old cups that nobody has heard of or cares about that nobody wants to see

We need someone overseeing this project that understands football fans and to cram as much memorabilia in there as possible that people would talk about and head to sheffield just to see

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

When I read the plans for this museum that's the first thing I thought of

I hope they don't just bang in some rusty old cups that nobody has heard of or cares about that nobody wants to see

We need someone overseeing this project that understands football fans and to cram as much memorabilia in there as possible that people would talk about and head to sheffield just to see

NCPM was the equivalent of building the Allianz Arena and then creating a squad of players to play in it sourced from pub teams 

• Like 1

Sheffield is terrible at projecting itself outward, completely afraid of its own shadow.  I'll never forget the city airport fiasco.

Knowing Sheffield, our airport will concentrate on the work of the London FA, the great players of Preston and Manchester, and the Old Etonions.

Please don't let Sheffield City Council anywhere near this project. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

If a city like Manchester, Liverpool or Leeds was the birthplace of football you’d never hear the end of it. They’d build a good deal of their cultural identity around it. There’d be an amazing museum. The actual oldest club would have some level of investment in it and local pride transcending traditional rivalries. They’d have some nice, affordable kit that people would wear to show they’re from the area. We have absolutely nothing and Sheffield FC play from a pub in Derbyshire. It’s Sheffield all ore. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Said it before on here. The right brains and marketing could absolutely make something of Sheffield and the birth of football. Make it out like you cannot call yourself a football fan without making the pilgrimage to Sheffield to see Sandygate, museum etc etc. Whether you're Brazilian or Chinese, you don't love football unless you have been to Sheffield etc. We're terrible at promoting ourselves (the humility) but first to moan when we're forgotten (why's Leeds on the weather map and not us bla bla). Council can't afford to do this so it would need to be FA or private backed. Not hard to think of a tour from Sheffield station taking in stuff at Bramhall Lane, Hillsborough, Sandygate, get Sheffield FC back in Sheffield, have a museum. Money into the city, hotels, tourism etc. It could lay a huge foundation if done and marketed correctly 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Sanchez_Jenks said:

Said it before on here. The right brains and marketing could absolutely make something of Sheffield and the birth of football. Make it out like you cannot call yourself a football fan without making the pilgrimage to Sheffield to see Sandygate, museum etc etc. Whether you're Brazilian or Chinese, you don't love football unless you have been to Sheffield etc. We're terrible at promoting ourselves (the humility) but first to moan when we're forgotten (why's Leeds on the weather map and not us bla bla). Council can't afford to do this so it would need to be FA or private backed. Not hard to think of a tour from Sheffield station taking in stuff at Bramhall Lane, Hillsborough, Sandygate, get Sheffield FC back in Sheffield, have a museum. Money into the city, hotels, tourism etc. It could lay a huge foundation if done and marketed correctly 

Sheffield could/should be the world home of football

Bus tours to the places you mention, a fun museum crammed full of memorabilia that people actually want to see (or even better just can't miss going to see), football related hotels etc

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

Great idea but im not sure the library is the right venue for it.  Although the library is a great building i think something like this should have a modern and inviting appearance. Something like the millenium gallery would be more appropriate with a cafe/bar attached and visible to the passer by as well as those who intend to go there.

• Haha 1

Thats strange I thought the council had sold the city library to the Chinese to make into a hotel but according to below it never materialised. The reason I mention this is look at the same think that keeps getting said with any Sheffield Council idea third paragraph from the end.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-48925175

Yes the investment didn't materialise, but the announcement had wider benefits for the city - it put Sheffield on the map," Mr Iqbal said.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, PEARSON said:

If a city like Manchester, Liverpool or Leeds was the birthplace of football you’d never hear the end of it. They’d build a good deal of their cultural identity around it. There’d be an amazing museum. The actual oldest club would have some level of investment in it and local pride transcending traditional rivalries. They’d have some nice, affordable kit that people would wear to show they’re from the area. We have absolutely nothing and Sheffield FC play from a pub in Derbyshire. It’s Sheffield all ore. 

The football museum in Manchester is a really good family attraction. Lots of stuff for adults & football nuts and plenty of interactive stuff for kids as well.

This should have been in Sheffield.

Already I'm getting annoyed at how this is being put together:

Among the items exhibited will be trophies from former football competitions held in Sheffield and meeting records from 1877 which offer a glimpse into the early years of the world’s most popular sport, including tales of coal being thrown at the referee by angry spectators.

Dr John P Wilson from the SHOF campaign said: “It’s fantastic. It won’t be quite like Barcelona’s trophy room but Barcelona doesn’t have what Sheffield has and would love to have it.

Launched in March 2020, the SHOF campaign wants to “claw back more than 160 years of lost history” and make the city synonymous with football.

Historians have uncovered at least 40 footballing ‘firsts’ associated with Sheffield, from the oldest football team and ground to being the place where the corner kick was invented.

Chris Eyre, historian at Sheffield & Hallamshire FA – the world’s oldest county FA – will donate two trophies to the display, including the Sheffield Sunday Schools Trophy, which dates back to 1887 and required players to have attended church for the previous eight weeks before they could take part.

An agreement has also been reached for Sheffield Libraries to loan several trophies from the Sheffield & Hallamshire FA on a long-term basis for display alongside their County Cup trophy, which last year turned up for sale on eBay after being lost for more than 20 years, and other items.

Pete Evans, archives and heritage manager at Sheffield Libraries, said: “It will also compliment what we already have in the library, which is some very early programmes of Sheffield United and Sheffield Wednesday.

FFS

Owlstalk Shop