Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Just now, @owlstalk said:

 

 

He's being played out of position though (as you mention)


When he's played out of position he's never at his best


We keep playing him out of position then wondering why he's not at his best/most effective

 

It's because we're playing him out of position

When we play him out of position he's never at his best

We know this from every time we play him out of position

 

I agree. Many a time I have said he should always be picked on the LHS of midfield. However, as my Dad would say, you are taught to be a footballer and you should be able to play any position. He didn’t settle on a position until he was 23 and ended up playing inside left, because Dooley played inside right. 
 

His capable of playing better in the position he is given, even though I accept he is at his best on the LHS.

 

A shout out for Penney and Urgy. While they haven’t offered a huge amount going forward, they have both shut down the right hand side for us in the last two games. While they were on the pitch, neither side created anything meaningful from the right.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Worth watching the goals last night.

 

Who pressed with Kachunga and closed down the full-back’s pass inside for our first?

 

Who took us upfield and fed Harris for our winner?

 

Answer anagram - had a cream


Yea but other than that, and other than being the highest rated Midfielder on pitch - what did he contribute! 
 

Our fans are crazy. I think waddle would get pelters in these crazy times.... can see it now; look at him can’t be bothered to tuck his shirt in! No desire, looks not bothered. Yea he may produce more than any other player but have you seen him mesh tackles...

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Emilianenko said:

Offered nothing again tonight. Sorry to be a negative nelly after a great win but he’s been poor for a few games now. Needs benching.

 

Disgaree.

 

If we stick with 532 and rightly so he doesn't move to LWB, who else are we going to play in a midfield 3? Brown? No. Luongo AND Pelupessy? No? 

 

Reach adds qualities to the team nobody else can bring that far up the pitch. With Bannan often dropping deep Reach is the only consistent source of quality in the box in the final third plus he has the potential to create some magic with his left foot as we saw 3 weeks ago. His work rate is also hugely overlooked, might not be a good tackler but he runs up and down into the space making himself available for the ball to create problems for the defence.

 

Although he has been out of form the last 2/3 games, there's nobody in the squad who deserves to come in instead? and the potential upside of playing Reach when he does come good is huge, on his day apart from Bannan are best attacking player and most likely game winner. In a relegation scrap plays every single game for me regardless of form.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

 

 

He's being played out of position though (as you mention)


When he's played out of position he's never at his best


We keep playing him out of position then wondering why he's not at his best/most effective

 

It's because we're playing him out of position

When we play him out of position he's never at his best

We know this from every time we play him out of position

 

Wednesday did well last night and on the whole the team played well and looked motivated which is what our supporters have been crying out for.  Obviously, this isn't good enough for some on Owlstalk, they need to slag a player off just to feel more comfortable with themselfs.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I like reach but I think he isn’t at his best. He’s not a liability by any extent but I think he’s a better player than he’s showing right now. Might be a number of things but my guess is he’s been overplayed. I think he’d probably benefit from a break but we can’t afford to rest him. I though he was coasting a bit in the second half and then he linked up with Harris to expedite the goal. 
Well miss him when he’s gone that’s for sure!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Against Preston he was abysmal. Last night was merely poor-to-average.

 

But nowhere near as good as we know he can be.

 

For me, he should play only on the left, whether that be as a wing back, winger, or wide midfielder. Playing him more centrally often leads to a poor performance from him, even if he still often plays a role in goals.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, cowl said:

Against Preston he was abysmal. Last night was merely poor-to-average.

 

But nowhere near as good as we know he can be.

 

For me, he should play only on the left, whether that be as a wing back, winger, or wide midfielder. Playing him more centrally often leads to a poor performance from him, even if he still often plays a role in goals.

 

 

100%

Which is why it's not Reach's fault if he has a poor game when played centrally


Because we know he has poor games when played centrally

 

We know that from all the games he has played centrally


 


Owlstalk Shop

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

As usual with our fanbase as soon as Reach goes a game or two without scoring/assisting it's 'oh Reach does nothing, what a waste of space'.

 

Without repeating all of the (accurate) statements above about him being played out of position, I still thought he put a shift in last night and was actually very effective at cutting out a lot of passes through the middle of the pitch. He rolled up his sleeves and did a job for the team, and still gets moaned about because he's not spaffed one in the top corner from 30 yards.

 

There's a set of fans who Reach will never win over but face facts, he's actually one of our best players when allowed to play in a position where he's most effective.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

No matter where you play if you struggle to control the ball you are going to well. .......struggle ..

Reach let's himself down in this department and this is a basic fundamental issue he needs to address.REGARDLESS OF THE POSITION WHERE HE'S PICKED TO PLAY!!!

His first touch is shocking ...

He's not the only championship player with these such issues ....

Apart from the odd "Hail Mary" goal it's bang ordinary and weak.

It's the old golf adage with Reach. "Drive for show putt for dough" ...

Does the fancy Dan stuff but doesn't "mucky his hands where it matters" figuratively so to speak 

Personally I don't rate him .....

He's a great athlete but an average footballer at this level ...

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Fans on here can't have an opinion on a player but fans can have an opinion on other fans opinions.

Reach is not my cup of tea and i would drop him from the team asap, not because i think hes rubbish but simply because im more of a Roy Keane (player) type fan.

Constantly neshing tackles and headers does my head in.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, savi said:

Fans on here can't have an opinion on a player but fans can have an opinion on other fans opinions.

Reach is not my cup of tea and i would drop him from the team asap, not because i think hes rubbish but simply because im more of a Roy Keane (player) type fan.

Constantly neshing tackles and headers does my head in.

 

 

Which Roy Keane player would you put in the side when you have sacked Reach off?


 


Owlstalk Shop

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Reach has been poor for a while, it's like watching someone run through treacle.

 

Technically he's good, however recently he's been giving the ball away far too cheaply and making silly passes into dangerous areas leaving the opposition to counter us.

i think it was against Cov and he gave the ball away 4 times in a row through poor decision making.

Literally school boy stuff as well, he did the same vs Exeter he tried a ball inside when nothing was really on and they countered us and we were very lucky they didn't punish us.

 

This literally could be down to fatigue or not being fit enough.

 

It's nothing to do with his workrate i think he tries however like my first line he's just not agile enough for a winger, in a 1 v 1 i'd fancy the defender always, he just looks so awkward on the ball.

Kind of like a Chris Brunt situation, not blessed with pace and not great in a 1v1, more likely to beat a man through being clever than pace and has a good delivery however he's not as good as Brunty.
 

I think the reasons above is why we see him play more central now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Lucas Joao's Tooth said:

Reach has been poor for a while, it's like watching someone run through treacle.

 

Technically he's good, however recently he's been giving the ball away far too cheaply and making silly passes into dangerous areas leaving the opposition to counter us.

i think it was against Cov and he gave the ball away 4 times in a row through poor decision making.

Literally school boy stuff as well, he did the same vs Exeter he tried a ball inside when nothing was really on and they countered us and we were very lucky they didn't punish us.

 

This literally could be down to fatigue or not being fit enough.

 

It's nothing to do with his workrate i think he tries however like my first line he's just not agile enough for a winger, in a 1 v 1 i'd fancy the defender always, he just looks so awkward on the ball. 

 

 

 


 


Owlstalk Shop

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

 

 

 

I don't get what you're trying to show here?

As shown in the clips good technique but just because someone thunders them in from 30 yards doesn't make him a good player does it.
Be quite worrying if you couldn't find a compilation of someone that's been here 4-5 years.

Not one clip of him actually beating a player.

Basically just backed up my summary thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is what one of football's greatest managers once said about a player he admired .....

 

"He"

"Can play teams on his own some days. When he's buzzing and bubbling he whizzes around the field like a cartoon character with the ball tied to his boot. It's like watching a film that's running too fast. You want to slow it down in order to appreciate all the tricks he's getting up to. He might beat a defender on the outside, then turn back and go inside him and then beat him once again for luck."

 

All great footballers aspire to this ethos no matter what build /position/pace you possess...

It's the rudiments of football ....

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Lucas Joao's Tooth said:

I don't get what you're trying to show here?

As shown in the clips good technique but just because someone thunders them in from 30 yards doesn't make him a good player does it. 



He's not thundering them in from 30 yards?


 


Owlstalk Shop

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, savi said:

Fans on here can't have an opinion on a player but fans can have an opinion on other fans opinions.

Reach is not my cup of tea and i would drop him from the team asap, not because i think hes rubbish but simply because im more of a Roy Keane (player) type fan.

Constantly neshing tackles and headers does my head in.

So on that basis you would have dropped Beckham from that Man Utd team (I’m not suggesting Reach is on a par with Beckham by the way) as he was certainly no great shakes when it came to tackling and heading.  
 

Reach is one of our best players and will be a crucial part of the squad if we are to avoid relegation.  In a team that struggles to score goals we desperately need what Reach offers in terms of providing an attacking threat.  If he chips in with the odd goal and assist (as he tends to do) then I really don’t care if he ever tackles again.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:



He's not thundering them in from 30 yards?

3 of his screamers are in that clip.

So doesn't those goals that's not his screamers come under good technique as i said?

I literally don't get the point you're trying to make?
 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...