Adam Reach

Just now, TodwickOwl said:

There’s no excuse for not doing the basics 

He couldn’t even do that last night 

And yet he scored a higher rating than any other CM on the pitch. It’s really weird how our eyes see what we want them to see. I’m guilty of it with Bannan. I often think he’s had a stinker, maybe because he’s more talented than most I judge him harder. Then I look at stats and he’s been good. Weird how we judge things differently.

In the last 10 days he’s played 80, 90, 80, 90.

In the 89th minute last night he had the legs and the spirit to drag the team forward yet again, fed Harris, whose first-time (superb) cross was nodded home.

But rather than celebrate, let’s have a big pop at him.

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

An unbiased stats site rated him the highest CM on the pitch last night out of 6 players, one who scored and one who used to be the an England regular. 

But his own supporters can’t see that. Must be the unbiased bit that makes them objective I suppose. 

Stats can be viewed however you like. They don’t show lack of effort and commitment 

5 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Let's be honest

When it comes to players like Reach, Paterson, Palmer etc there are fans out there who make their minds up on their performance BEFORE the match

It's sad to see

Yes I remember a certain poster stating Paterson was awful, although he was using it as an excuse to defend Garry Monk.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

And yet he scored a higher rating than any other CM on the pitch. It’s really weird how our eyes see what we want them to see. I’m guilty of it with Bannan. I often think he’s had a stinker, maybe because he’s more talented than most I judge him harder. Then I look at stats and he’s been good. Weird how we judge things differently.

I must be the complete opposite to you haha always been a Bannan fan, he very rarely puts a foot wrong - passing is pretty much immaculate and takes the sting out the game at the other end quite often in some.

I can see Reach has always put the miles in but his end product and distribution has lacked for me for last couple of years, maybe in a better side he would prosper - I’d be looking to move if I was him

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Emilianenko said:

Yes I remember a certain poster stating Paterson was awful, although he was using it as an excuse to defend Garry Monk.

Paterson & Reach are polar opposites.

Paterson gives his all every game, but sometimes looks like he's from a pub team. Reach always looks quality, but has the heart of a mouse.

Both will be needed this season.

20 minutes ago, TodwickOwl said:

I must be the complete opposite to you haha always been a Bannan fan, he very rarely puts a foot wrong - passing is pretty much immaculate and takes the sting out the game at the other end quite often in some.

I can see Reach has always put the miles in but his end product and distribution has lacked for me for last couple of years, maybe in a better side he would prosper - I’d be looking to move if I was him

The great thing about football is two people can watch the same game and have completely different take on it. It be boring as hell if we all thought the same. 

8 hours ago, HillsboroughOwlNI said:

Thought he paired up quite nicely with Harris late in the game. Other than that was fairly anonymous.

agree with this, nice little interchange with Harris in last few mins was almost his only contribution of note

I may have to re watch the game (Christ I couldn’t say that about the Coventry game). I thought reach was involved in most of our neat play and chances. I thought he offered more than Bannan in all facets of the game. Yet two or three threads are slating Reach and I’ve seen nothing regarding Bannan. 

Reach may not be a natural in the middle but he does bring a good few attributes that we miss there. 

- Ability to receive the ball under pressure

- Ability to carry the ball and run at defenders 

- Ability to support the forwards and get into the box 

- Ability to link up play with wide players and give/go

- Goal threat

None of our other CM’s (maybe Shaw but he’s still raw) offer any of the above.

Whilst I still think he’s better out wide, he’s no slouch central as demonstrated last night where he was rated the best CM on the pitch. 

Didn't see last night. 

Reach is one of those players who, bafflingly, seems to get under the skin of the dumber elements of the fan base. He is what he is, and if he could make better decisions at pace and have A grade not B grade control, he'd be playing somewhere better. At championship level, he's good, and we have got a lot of miles out of him. 

Generally, his work rate has been more than acceptable, but his head can drop. Plus also in the past he's tended to play more frequently than most, in roles that require a lot of movement; so there has been some evidence of fatigue.

But specifically on last night. It's not sensible to judge work rate on the basis of what you see on a TV or web broadcast. You just don't see anything like enough.

• Love 1

Didn’t he play the ball out wide for Harris to cross for the winner? 
Didn’t he play the pass to Bannan in the first half for his effort from the edge of the box?

Didn’t he play Penney in for the cross when Kachunga should have scored?

I know football is about opinions, but I do wonder what people watch when they question what someone offers. 

• Like 1

Just now, Cockers said:

Didn’t he play the ball out wide for Harris to cross for the winner? 
Didn’t he play the pass to Bannan in the first half for his effort from the edge of the box?

Didn’t he play Penney in for the cross when Kachunga should have scored?

I know football is about opinions, but I do wonder what people watch when they question what someone offers. 

It's nothing but sheer prejudice mate

They've made their mind up on a player and will trot out any old sheeeeeite to justify their views

It's weird

Owlstalk Shop

Reach is off the boil at mo, although he was much better tonight than he was on Saturday where he was atrocious. He is capable of the sublime, which others simply cannot do e.g. his crosses for Patto and Windass’ headers.

At the moment, he is giving the ball away far too frequently. In the position he played tonight, he needs to play the simple pass in front of him, instead of hitting longer passes. Also, he needs to be able to hold onto the ball for a split second longer until his teammates move into space and his options increase. He has a tendency to want to hit the pass really early, not allowing play to develop.

Thommo needs to sprinkle some Thommo magic on Reach. He’s a good player and on form, he is in our starting XI every week.

1 minute ago, Pieman said:

Reach is off the boil at mo, although he was much better tonight than he was on Saturday where he was atrocious. He is capable of the sublime, which others simply cannot do e.g. his crosses for Patto and Windass’ headers.

At the moment, he is giving the ball away far too frequently. In the position he played tonight, he needs to play the simple pass in front of him, instead of hitting longer passes. Also, he needs to be able to hold onto the ball for a split second longer until his teammates move into space and his options increase. He has a tendency to want to hit the pass really early, not allowing play to develop.

Thommo needs to sprinkle some Thommo magic on Reach. He’s a good player and on form, he is in our starting XI every week.

He's being played out of position though (as you mention)

When he's played out of position he's never at his best

We keep playing him out of position then wondering why he's not at his best/most effective

It's because we're playing him out of position

When we play him out of position he's never at his best

We know this from every time we play him out of position

• Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop