Are we going to stop up?!?

12 hours ago, Bouncing Owl said:

It’s only 50/50 at the absolute best.

We need that first goal - if we don’t get it, we lose the game. This is a very limited group and we haven’t enough about us to go after a team and come back my being behind.  If we get the first goal, we have enough good defenders to see games out.

Having Westwood and Hutchinson in the team will massively help our task in my opinion. We also need a fit Luongo in the side as well.

Would say 50/50

28 points from 21 games very achievable (effectively need 8 wins) but tomorrow is massive really need a target player to hold ball up.  Would say need at least 11 points from 8 games in February though or will be very difficult

12 hours ago, Mcguigan said:

Some right dross across the league, no consistency and very little quality.

I can’t say we’ve played particularly well over the 6 games but we’re averaging over 2 ppg.

We’re like a team of rag tag misfits, not assembled but thrown together by circumstance. Yet, we’re getting results.

There’s zero pressure or expectation on our lads because everyone has written them off. No fans at Hillsborough is a blessing this season.

Id agree with this. If we beat those around us in the run in then I think we will scrape enough against the better teams in the league to stay up. 

It is a sign of how bad the division is this season that we, in my opinion, have a 50/50 chance of scraping to survival. 

We have a horribly unbalanced squad without any real quality outside of 2-3 decent players, we are working with a points reduction and a presumed transfer embargo, we aren’t paying our players, we can barely score and most of our players will have impending contract expiries on their mind. 

But the players who do play are giving it everything, we keep on scraping results and I think we have a shot, which is more than we should really have on the basis of the above. We should be dead and buried. Which makes me think the footballing Gods are looking over us. 

For another season before we face this all over again, with the current ownership anyway. 

We are currently in the bottom three because of the points deduction. So relatively speaking we are around par with the 6 or 7 teams who are around us at the bottom.

Can we improve sufficiently to get out of and stay out of the bottom three, who knows?

I think while we can keep the likes of Westwood, Lees, Hutchinson and Bannan fit and available, we have a fighting chance.

If we get the players in we need, then I think we've a good chance.

Otherwise, sadly I'd have to say no.

When you're as poor as we are, the only chance you have of winning games is if you play really well, and it's inconceivable we can do that often enough.

We just don't have the goals and the guile in us now.

Just looking at the footage of Hooper scoring against Brum, that's what we miss - quality up front.

With Hooper, Forestieri, Fletcher and co' you can be shocking and still win games.

Now we've got to play really well to have any chance of winning.

I think we need to get to 55 points.  We need to make sure that we can stay up even if we get another points deduction.  Wycombe are done.  Rotherham will also be relegated.  That final spot is going to go to the last day unless someone has points deducted.

In short, we probably need another ten wins this season.  This month we have Wycombe and Birmingham at home, then Rotherham at home in March.  If we are to stop up we have to win those three games. 

Can’t see it tbh

If we manage to stay up after...

a points deduction

playing without a proper striker for large parts of the year

Going through 3 or 4 managers

Players not getting paid on time

...Itll be an absolute miracle 

11 hours ago, TheBoyBeevers said:

It is a sign of how bad the division is this season that we, in my opinion, have a 50/50 chance of scraping to survival. 

We have a horribly unbalanced squad without any real quality outside of 2-3 decent players, we are working with a points reduction and a presumed transfer embargo, we aren’t paying our players, we can barely score and most of our players will have impending contract expiries on their mind. 

But the players who do play are giving it everything, we keep on scraping results and I think we have a shot, which is more than we should really have on the basis of the above. We should be dead and buried. Which makes me think the footballing Gods are looking over us. 

For another season before we face this all over again, with the current ownership anyway. 

What worries me is who (other than Wycombe) is going to start dropping form/ into the bottom 3 as we have been on a run of results (if not in terms of performances).

22 minutes ago, Rogerwyldesmullet said:

Has anyone else noticed in all the excitement of our activity on deadline day that QPR have only gone and won at Watford cos I have.

There actually aren’t that many teams that we can get above now. Rovrum?  Wycombe? Who the chuff else?

I was thinking the same after that result, looking at the teams just above us I can't think of one who we could realistically aim to catch, I think we're doomed.

• Like 2

I'm going to stick my neck out and say yes, yes we are going to stay up.

Whilst the football's not great, we're not scoring enough and apparently can't afford to pay for new players in the window and all the other off field 'nonsense', since NT has taken charge there appears to be a new 'spirit' about the team - they are starting to grind out results.

We are in a slightly false position currently too, as the -6 which has already been taken off applies to the whole season and we're only just over halfway through it.

All teams at the bottom of the Championship are also fairly woeful too, Derby's current 28 pts from 26 games equates to 50 pts for the season and they're 19th so 50 pts could be enough to stay up with a bit of wriggle room.

I don't think it'll be pretty and it'll go to the last few games but I think we'll stay up.

• Like 1

The trouble is that without quality a team has to be in good form all the time.

United are in the same situation in their league.

It can't play badly and win games.

Players at this level cannot put in good performances game after game, or else they wouldn't be at this level.

That's when you need your Forestieris and Hoopers to conjure something out of nothing.

If we're depressed about this window, think how our players must be feeling.

• Like 1

Getting more difficult, QPR and Derby pulling away so if we don't win tomorrow then i think we will be too far adrift. All  the other clubs except Rotherham have signed some good players and scoring goals. DC has done us no favours with no manager appointment as players have been put off signing for us.

1 hour ago, Shetland Owl said:

Getting more difficult, QPR and Derby pulling away so if we don't win tomorrow then i think we will be too far adrift. All  the other clubs except Rotherham have signed some good players and scoring goals. DC has done us no favours with no manager appointment as players have been put off signing for us.

Derby will be fine but anyone from Luton down can get dragged into it with a bad run in February.

Huddersfield on a bad run and played 2 more games than most, Cardiff and Millwall drawing lots, not as convinced as a few seem to be that forest or Birmingham are suddenly going to improve form.  It's going to be a slog.

Tomorrow's game is not that important away at a promotion chasing side is not a must win at this stage, Millwall and Wycombe games are the important ones to keep decent run going. Need 11-15 points out of next 8 games to keep in there.